Bad start to the day!

Old June 8th 05, 01:36 PM
KJ

Default Bad start to the day!

I was on my way to the sewing studio....SQUISH!!! OH NO! I thought perhaps
the dehumidifier has not shut off automatically. Wrong! Stepping on the
carpet caused water to squish up over my feet. The hot water heater seems
to be the culprit. I have a call in to the plumber, but haven't heard back
yet. DH went to work...of course today is the day he sees patients...not
write grants, papers or do research! I need to find some earplugs so I
don't go deaf using the shop vac! And I can't use that until I hear back
from a plumber because I won't hear the phone ring.
Of course today is one in which I had several things to attend....there are
many I don't leave the house! Always something! No hot shower either!
A VERY Minor annoyance in comparison to the big ones being shared here.
Just wanted to vent! Thanks!

Old June 8th 05, 01:57 PM
Polly Esther

Meanwhile - did you shut off the gas line (if any) and water line at the hot
water heater? Did you turn the thermostat to the hot water heater so it
won't come on? If you get brave and / or desperate, you can hook your
garden hose up to the hot water heater and drain the hot water heater. IF
the hot water heater is electric, can you locate the breaker to the hot
water heater and flip it off so it won't have a way to keep going? IT IS
VERY IMPORTANT to get the power (gas or electric) off. DH says otherwise you
can cause steam to build up and blow out half the house. Isn't he just a
happy little comfort? Polly

Old June 8th 05, 02:07 PM
KJ

It was unplugged. But the plumbers just called and are on their way! I
need the Dudly Do Right to the rescue music!

k.net...

Old June 8th 05, 03:03 PM
Taria

Water heaters here have escape valves by law (I'm sure that isn't' the
right name) I thought they regulated the 'blow'.
I talked to dad and he had to replace his water heater SUnday. It is
one of those pain things that are at least and fairly easy fix. Must
be going around. Hope the mess not too bad. OUrs here are out in the
garage so that helps.
Taria

Old June 8th 05, 03:15 PM
Idahoqltr

On a similar note, my wood floor in the kitchen is all warped by the
fridge. I just noticed it last week. It turns out that my husband
installed a filter for the ice maker a while back and it leaked. Sad.
we'll get it fixed someday but it is not something that has to be done
immediately.

Old June 8th 05, 06:07 PM
Kate Dicey

KJ wrote:

It's always something isn't it?

Yup! Ours was the dishwasher the other night/morning... DH had to
up-end it and dig in its innards... Luckily a cheap DIY fix was all it
needed!

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old June 8th 05, 06:29 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

My hot water tank had the bottom fall out back about 5 years ago. I had to
replace all my carpeting and flooring !! Lived with a mess for over a
month.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old June 8th 05, 07:22 PM
lal

KJ wrote:
ohh I don't think I'll have to replace anything,....just keep sucking on it
with the wet vac

"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote in message

My hot water tank had the bottom fall out back about 5 years ago. I had
to replace all my carpeting and flooring !! Lived with a mess for over a
month.

SNIGDIBBLY

Greetings...

I thought that once carpet padding gets that soaked, it was toast. I
had my basement level flooded by a hurricane (only about 2 inches, I got
off lucky). It took about 2 days before that carpet padding started
STINKING up the place. And trust me, I had been running that shop vac
sucking out the water and running a fan to get air off it.

Good luck!

lal