U.S. Grown Alpaca

Old February 25th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BonnieBlue

Default U.S. Grown Alpaca

A couple of comments from the thread "Alpaca and lace vent" ---

Enigma: "...there's no US market for US grown alpaca fiber."

WoolyGooly: "...as Lee said there's no North American market for North
American-grown alpaca. The things are "designer livestock". When they
first started getting popular people were buying them as investments, of all
things."

I know that there are many alpaca owners who are not in it for the
fiber...they just want to own some exotic creature. On the other hand, I
know I've mentioned this web site before and want to share it again:
http://www.royalspin.us/xcart/home.php

This statement is from the web page:

"Welcome to Royal Fiber Spinnery"
"This is the home of the most complete selection of US Grown and Processed
Alpaca Yarns. We are building the largest collection of North American
Alpaca Yarns anywhere in North America or on the Internet."

Now, please understand that I am not trying to start an argument today. I
realize anyone can say anything on a web site. I just want people to be
aware that there IS a source for US grown alpaca and we need to support
them. I've purchased some of the alpaca yarn they spin the last couple of
years at Christmas at Old Fort Concho at the Twin Buttes Alpaca Ranch booth.
Other than being a satisfied consumer of their product, I am affiliated in
no other way to the spinnery, Christmas at Old Fort Concho or TBAR.

BonnieBlue

Old February 25th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JJMolvik

My eldest DD's kindergarten teacher quit her job because her alpaca business
took off. It was more profitable than teaching school.

JJMolvik
PS: I'm in the Pacific Northwest of USA

Old February 26th 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

BonnieBlue wrote:
[...]

I would like to add that I have bought local alpaca yarn at our annual "Call
of the Wool" at Young's Dairy Farm in the Yellow Springs Ohio area [not far
from Dayton] I have several balls of different colors which I plan to use
for my Moebius. The owners had brought their Alpaca's and I had never seen
one in person....they are wonderful.....so cute and peaceful looking.

Donna

Old February 26th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

I'm quite lucky it seems in NZ then, I've never bought anything but
local alpaca. The farmers very often send pictures of the specific
animal your fleece comes off too - I'm a sucker for cute alpaca
pictures! There is a lot available here at the moment ('tis the season
for shearing) and I just got a kilo of the loveliest grey fleece. I've
carded it with some dyed merino and am making mittens.

VP

Alpaca Advice Alison Yarn 6 October 19th 06 01:38 AM
OT grown up letter to Santa NightMist Quilting 11 December 16th 05 01:14 AM
"Faces" Directory Grown to 38! Christina Doucette Quilting 13 April 8th 04 12:43 AM
Ot this Ng , has grown Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 3 December 24th 03 07:04 PM
At what age is a dog full grown? OT Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 3 July 8th 03 10:11 PM