sock help

Old February 9th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Pepper Stevens

Default sock help

hello, have been lurking for a bit now and have enjoyed the knitting,
yarns, dye colors, and conversation. You've built a cozy place here.

A smidgeon about me- I live in the PNW in the US. I walk the edge
in my health care career and use art as an outlet to unwind. I used to
jokingly say it was cheaper than therapy, but ya know, with the price
of "supplies" I am not so sure about that now. Like many of you I am
sure, my artistic bent has evolved and reincarnated itself numerous
times along the way. Let's see... I've done weaving, watercolors,
sewing, crochet, ceramics, photography, quilting, and a small amount
of knitting. For the last few years it's been metalworking (jewelry).
In early December a friend happened by with her current scarf project,
she had found the most amazing yarn. The colors were gorgeous and
intertwined beautifully. I couldn't take my eyes off of it, my fingers
kept stroking the soft controlled contortion of the yarn
fibers...distant glaze to eyes....

Off we go after being bitten....first stop: yarn shop....

So, am bit of a novice, am sure my question is rudimentary for most.
Right now I have socks on DP needles. I used self patterning yarn for
the sock body and a solid teal for the heel. Am ready to pick up for
the gusset. Do I continue with the teal? Do I cut pattern yarn from
needle 3, add it to needle 2 and use that (heel on needle 1)? If I do
that what will happen to my working pattern (will it get screwed up by
the cut and the move?).

Pleased to met cha,

Pepper
can't wait to see these babies under scrubs!

Old February 9th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
Pepper Stevens wrote:

hello, have been lurking for a bit now and have enjoyed the knitting,
yarns, dye colors, and conversation. You've built a cozy place here.

A smidgeon about me- I live in the PNW in the US. I walk the edge
in my health care career and use art as an outlet to unwind. I used to
jokingly say it was cheaper than therapy, but ya know, with the price
of "supplies" I am not so sure about that now.

It's still cheaper than therapy and you get something at the end.

snip

So, am bit of a novice, am sure my question is rudimentary for most.
Right now I have socks on DP needles. I used self patterning yarn for
the sock body and a solid teal for the heel. Am ready to pick up for
the gusset. Do I continue with the teal? Do I cut pattern yarn from
needle 3, add it to needle 2 and use that (heel on needle 1)? If I do
that what will happen to my working pattern (will it get screwed up by
the cut and the move?).

If you continue with the teal, you'll get a teal foot. If you cut the
teal and start knitting with teh self-patterning yarn, you'll be back
to the pattern, but it'll probably be a little different because usually
the number of stitches will be different when you pick up.

Picking up for the gusset sounds like you made the usual heel-flap heel,
and having turned the heel, you are now down to a row of stitches across
the end and are ready to pick up along the first side to make the first
gusset. (Then you'll knit across the instep and pick up stitches on the
other side to make the other side gusset.)

The normal method is to measure out a good long tail to be worked in
(about 3 inches, I'd say, just for security) and then cut the teal yarn.
Then start picking up stitches with the patterned yarn, leaving enough
of a tail to be worked in later after the knitting is stabilized by
having a row or two done.

Of course, you could decide to keep on with the teal yarn and make a
wide teal stripe all around the foot until you're done with all the
decreases of the gusset, and then go back to the self-patterning yarn,
but that would depend on your personal sense of style. :-) The advantage
would be that you'd be back to the same number of stitches as was used
in the ankle, so the yarn will make the identical pattern. Draw a
colored picture of it to see what the effect will be.

=Tamar
Old February 9th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Brenda

Hi Pepper,
If you want the traditional look of a heel of a different colour, you would
gusset. As mentioned in the previous post, leave about 3 - 4 inches of
each yarn to be woven in later. That is enough that your socks won't fall
apart. Good luck. Sock knitting is addictive.
Brenda
. ..

Old February 9th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:08:35 -0500, "Brenda" wrote:

Hi Pepper,
If you want the traditional look of a heel of a different colour, you would
gusset. As mentioned in the previous post, leave about 3 - 4 inches of
each yarn to be woven in later. That is enough that your socks won't fall
apart. Good luck. Sock knitting is addictive.
Brenda

I think it might be easier (not now of course, but for another sock)
to make a contrasting heel using the short row heel. With this heel,
you work it all on half the stitches, so you could work this bit using
the contrasting color. Then when the heel is made, you start knitting
around on all 4 needles again, at this point you could go back to the
stripes (which didn't get cut, just sat there waiting.)

Alison
Old February 9th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cats

If you use a SR heel with self patterning yarn there is no
interruption to the pattern either. Very easy!

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

wrote:
:
: Hi Pepper,
: If you want the traditional look of a heel of a different
colour, you would
stitches for the

Old February 9th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Pepper Stevens

"JJMolvik" wrote
So what's your favorite local yarn store? I am in the PNW as well.

JJMolvik

oh good, maybe you can broaden my horizon some. Here in Eugene, Orygun
there's Soft Horizons and The Knit Shop. A bunch of years ago I bought
some yarn at a cool shop in Ashland, but don't get down there very
often at all. That could change in the fall though if youngest
daughter commits to Southern Oregon Univ.

Care to fill me in on where to set my sights next?

Pepper

Old February 9th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Feb 9, 12:44 am, "Pepper Stevens" wrote:
[...]

Nope. Go back to the self-patterning yarn. Your pattern will fix
itself.
Welcome to RCTY. Now that you have de-lurked, stick around.
We are a friendly group.

Higs,
Katherine

Old February 10th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JJMolvik

I'll have to check with my SIL (sister-in-law) as to what is down that
direction. I am definitely further north, Seattle. But I'll check w/my SIL
and get back to you.

You might want to fill ME in as EVENTUALLY, we have a vacation destination
in Bend available to us.

JJMolvik