Quilt advise ... kinda long

Old May 8th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Default Quilt advise ... kinda long

Ladies and gents I need some advise on how to gently get out of a
situation my neighbor has gotten me into.

My neighbor's brother has rental property and an elderly lady rents
from him.

She decided last month that she wanted to start making quilts. She
sent her first ever quilt to my neighbor and said she wanted 400
dollars for it.

My neighbor asked me to look at it and advise her.

Now the idea for the quilt is a good one. The elderly lady took
embroidery transfers and imprinted them on white cloth. I think its
poly and cotton. She next painted the transfers. The theme of the
quilt is the hillbilly and his jug, fishing, his family, etc. The
theme is cute.

The construction of the quilt is not very good. The white fabric is
already raveling and the seams are not stitched very well and are
starting to come loose. A couple of the blocks have scorch spots
where the elderly lady touched them with a cigarette. The batting is
the cheap fluffy stuff.

The quilt is tied with crochet thread and only in the sashing and I
suspect the first time the quilt is washed the batting will wad up and
become very lumpy.

How do I gently tell my neighbor the quilt is not worth 400 dollars
but only worth the money already invested in it. I'm not an appraiser
or anything like that and I told her so. I just quilt for my own
enjoyment and not anything for sale.

I don't want to take on teaching someone to quilt because of my
health, I just need to gently get out of this situation without
ruffling feathers and hurting someone's feelings.

I don't want to discourage anyone from quilting but this quilt is not
worth 400 dollars.

Any suggestions ??????

Kate T.
South Mississippi

Old May 8th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

i'd send the quilt back and ask that it be well washed.
if it falls apart, the quilt maker will see for herself its not worth beans.
from the info you've just told us, i'd venture its not worth worry'n bout
what to do if it withstands the washing.
problem solved.
other than that i'm at a loss.
i surely would refuse flat out to pay anywhere near that from the
description and the condition she received it in....scorch marks, that is
disgusting, must stink of ciggy smoke as well. ewwwwwwwwwww.
i could care less what the maker thot. she cant force her to pay for that.
is there any quilt appraisers that live near enough to just ask for a quick
thot on it, free of course, lol.
no doubt all she'd need is a quick scan.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Kate T." wrote...

Old May 8th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

Honesty is the best policy prevails here. And as Jeanne said, suggest he
have her wash it first and see what happens. There may be no worry after
that.

--
Mary
oups.com...
:

Old May 8th 07, 07:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

I would probably tell the person that since I am just amateur I wouldn't
want to give an opinion on it but if it were me being asked for that kind of
money for it, I wouldn't pay it.

Ew at the scorching on it. That is just a bit too "rustic" even for my
tastes.
And I also wonder at the smell of the quilt as well. Now I smoke, not in my
house mind you cuz it stinks, but after I have a cigarette I wash my hands
with soap and water before I pick up my projects again to keep as much of
that smell off my fabrics as I can. Just me being anal about it all though
maybe.

As for cheap fluffy stuff as batting, I am guilty of using that stuff too.
Cost effective for me and my stuff is not of show quality, it is of use it
till its threadbare quality. See? That would make me not a good person to
price a quilt like that LOL

In the end, you have to do what feels right and say what feels right to be
able to be comfortable with all parties involved. Usually gut feelings and
first instincts are pretty darn close to an answer in my experience.

~KK in BC~

oups.com...

Old May 8th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

So you aren't dealing with the maker of this quilt directly, but with your
neighbor? I'd list exactly the points you mentioned here. Write them all
down on a sheet of paper. Also mention the good things about the quilt -good
colors? You said the theme was cute -original design? The problem is that
the maker maybe did put in $400 of labor, if paid minimum wage for the time
involved, it just wasn't labor to good effect.
You might recommend her to sell it on Ebay, and maybe the neighbor would
feel like helping her set it up.
Roberta in D

oups.com...

Old May 8th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

I don't want to take on teaching someone to quilt because of my
health, I just need to gently get out of this situation without
ruffling feathers and hurting someone's feelings.

has someone asked you to teach them to quilt? I wouldn't worry about
something that hasn't happened if that's not the case. You're also in
a situation between neighbors that can get out of hand pretty easily
in spite of your best intentions and efforts. Did this elderly lady
make the quilt as a result of your neighbor hiring her? If so, the
neighbor has made the mistake, not you, so just opt out of advising
her because you aren't experienced at appraising. If she presses you,
you can simply tell her that she has to decide this for herself. The
less you express about your personal opinion the better. If there are
hard feelings in the future, you can't be held accountable.

Musicmaker

Old May 8th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Kate T." wrote in message
oups.com...
~~gently snipped~
My neighbor asked me to look at it and advise her.

Now the idea for the quilt is a good one. The
theme is cute.

~snippity snip~
How do I gently tell my neighbor the quilt is not worth 400 dollars

~few more snips~
I don't want to take on teaching someone to quilt because of my
health,
Any suggestions ??????

You say......."The theme is very cute. I have absolutely NO experience or
ideas about how to appraise a quilt so won't even venture a guess. The LQS
would be your best bet to get a realistic appraisal, it's located at
____________ ." You now have no responsibility about what's going to be
said, it's out of your hands. What the people at the LQS say isn't your
concern.

Apparently nobody has asked you to give quilt instructions or help this lady
so don't worry about bullets unless they've left the barrel. If it should
happen that you are asked to help her you just be very honest and tell them
what you told us. "NO, I can't because of my health." Period, end of story,
you need no long excuses or detailed reasons, you owe nobody any obligation.

The less said, the fewer the reasons and suggestions the better. Be brief,
be firm, don't get involved and don't waste time on something that really
isn't your problem or obligation and get that quilt out of your house.

Val

Old May 8th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline

If she chooses to go the EBay route though, she should reveal the scorch
marks, the fabric raveling in spots, etc. I know that will probably squash
the deal, but you would hate to have an unsuspecting buyer end up with an
unsatisfactory purchase.

(I'm not really clear on what your neighbor is asking of you - is she asking
you if the quilt is worth $400? Does your neighbor love the quilt? Perhaps
it is worth $400 to her if she loves it? Or is your neighbor trying to
gracefully get out of an awkward situation? In that case, perhaps "the
colors don't suit her" or she just isn't a "quilt person".

Pauline
Northern California

Old May 8th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
desert quilter

On May 7, 9:43 pm, "Kate T." wrote:
[...]

Hi Kate,

If it were me, I say to the neighbor exactly what you told us. Tell
her all the great points about the quilt, but then be perfectly honest
about the construction flaws. Your reasoning on every point--raveling
fabric, burn marks, not enough ties, etc--is perfectly valid. I'm
sure if you point them out to her, she will be able to understand.
Then I wouldn't even discuss the monetary value. After that it's a
moot point. If she still presses you, (but I'd be surprised if she
would after your explanation) just tell her you're not qualified to
make that assessment.

Best regards,
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

Old May 9th 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
pansylovr

I agree with much of what has already been said. You need to tell your
neighbor the good points as well as the bad.
Since the elderly lady wants to start quilting, and obviously for
money, she needs to know what changes she needs to make to make a
product that is worthy of her time and effort, as well as marketable.
Just my .02,
Anna in IL