Name that tool!

Old July 6th 03, 05:33 PM
SlinkyToy

Default Name that tool!

Anybody know what this is? The big board is curved and mounted on a frame
that can be clamped to a table. I know I've seen these online but of course
now I can't find it. The closest thing I've found is a "carding board"
which is flat and looks smaller than this thing I have.

Anybody?

http://www.fysh.org/~slinky/tool/carding_tool.jpg

Old July 7th 03, 02:16 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:33:44 GMT, "SlinkyToy" wrote:

Anybody know what this is? The big board is curved and mounted on a frame
that can be clamped to a table. I know I've seen these online but of course
now I can't find it. The closest thing I've found is a "carding board"
which is flat and looks smaller than this thing I have.

Anybody?

http://www.fysh.org/~slinky/tool/carding_tool.jpg

I've never seen anything quite like that in all my 30 years of spinning!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old July 7th 03, 02:53 PM
SlinkyToy

Nope, I have a drum carder. A drum carder has two spinning drums and is
cranked. This is a board covered with carding cloth and has a single hand
card.

This is a drum carder, the model I have, as a matter of fact, tho I don't
have the brush attachment on mine:
http://www.fireantranch.com/products.html#fricke

Compare the two items and you'll see a difference.

"Stella Fenley" wrote in message
m...
Hey slinkyToy does it have about 46 fine teeth per inch or coarse cloth

23
teeth per square inch and comes with a table clamp ,doffer brush and pin
and basic instructions,if so it is called a drum carder.Here is the site

found the information on
http://www.moondancewools.com/louet_carding_tools.htm
there is underline between louet and another one after carding .it could

be
a carding board.
here is another site
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/hand-carding.html see if these sites

help.
good luck.Stella
. ..

Old July 7th 03, 03:04 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 00:21:07 GMT, "Stella Fenley" wrote:

Hey slinkyToy does it have about 46 fine teeth per inch or coarse cloth 23
teeth per square inch and comes with a table clamp ,doffer brush and pin
and basic instructions,if so it is called a drum carder.Here is the site I
found the information on
http://www.moondancewools.com/louet_carding_tools.htm
there is underline between louet and another one after carding .it could be
a carding board.

That thing Slinky showed us sure is not like any drum carder I've ever
seen or used! For pictures of what I think of when you say drum carder,
have a look at this page: http://www.thewoolery.com/fiberprepfr.html.
I think it even has a picture of the Louet you mention.

here is another site
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/hand-carding.html see if these sites help.
good luck.Stella

Right. Those are curved hand cards, but still not with that large,
presumably fixed board. Never seen a curved carding board before or one
quite that large. The one on the Running Moon site is more like what I've
seen:
http://www.runningmoonfarm.com/instr...als/board.html

You'll notice that one is flat, and much smaller, being used with a
flicker, not with what looks like a nearly full-sized,or at least child
sized, card.

I can see where this tool would be useful for producing larger batts by
hand, possibly for felting, but personally, I'd stick with a drum carder,
even if it isn't as pretty. Interesting item for a collector, though.
Rather 70's looking, I thought.

So, Slinky, does it have any identifying marks? I couldn't even find
anything like it in my old Paula Simmons book! Thinking on it, it may be
possible to use that thing to join batts for quilting. You think?

Old July 7th 03, 06:26 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:52:35 GMT, "SlinkyToy" wrote:

Another list I'm on is fairly unanimous in saying this thing is a blending
card, or blending board. Ashford used to make them but no longer does so
they're not even on the website. There's a SN stamped on the end of each
card (matching, no less), but nothing to suggest a maker. I haven't played
with it yet, as I've had too much to do with housework and catboxes and
yardwork and ... and ...

....tearing yourself away from the tar baby computer? A blending board.
That sounds right and somehow familiar. Seems a bit of a byway in carding.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

What kind of leather for a tool pouch. Bob General Crafting 0 January 21st 05 04:13 AM
Ngraver tool lubrication? [email protected] Jewelry 0 September 12th 04 02:28 AM
New Thunderbird Looping Tool? Mj Beads 3 June 26th 04 09:13 PM
Beautiful laying tool!! Mavia Beaulieu Needlework 10 February 20th 04 07:12 PM
A leather tool BrianLyon General Crafting 2 January 31st 04 05:22 PM