Cosplay and new comic

Old March 12th 18, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

Default Cosplay and new comic

I am not a cosplayer, but I think about various costumes once in a
while, and how I might make them.

One of the costumes that I think about is the following:
https://katiediazz.deviantart.com/ar...Suki-158849818 from
the cartoon "Avatar

The drawing that I linked to is fan art, but it is actually better at
isolating a Kyoshi warrior than any actual pictures from the show.

Going from the inside to the outside, below the green belt in the center:

I once found a turorial on youtube on how to make "cosplay boots," but I
think I would probably go with the best I could do from a thrift store
like Goodwill or just wear my hiking boots.

For the dark green skirt, which is actually a hakama (or at least every
cosplayers I have found online for the Kyoshi warriors interprets this
as a hakama, or divided skirt), I know 2 different ways of making a
Hakama. One is much easier and uses only 2 yards of material, and the
other way is much more difficult and uses 5 yds. of material, if I
recall correctly. For a costume, I think I would use the method that
only uses 2 yards.

For the light green "skirt cover," I think that is just a big rectangle
of material that has a "waist tie" sewn onto it.

For the dark green "groin protector," which is called a "tare," I
actually own a set of kendo armour, so I would use the one I already
have as a template to make one. Or I might just be lazy and use the one
I already own, except the one I own is dark blue rather than dark green
like in the picture.

This costume is quite evidently based on traditional Japanese clothing,
and traditional Japanese clothing is made with ties at the waist, but I
might be a thoroughly modern Millie and use elastic in the waistbands so
things don't get too bulky with a bunch of knots for each of the above 3
items.

Going from the inside to the outside above the green belt:

The "blouse" is just a keikogi:
https://www.e-bogu.com/Shoaizome-800...le8000-all.htm
and I have a pattern for that, but I would have to make the sleeves long.

For the gauntlets, what I would do is just make a square of material
that is about 1 ft (30cm) by 1 ft. and put a row of buttonholes each
side and lace it onto my arm kinda like a pair of boots. Or I might
again be a thoroughly modern Millie and attempt to use either velcro or
elastic.

As for the gloves, I would probably just purchase some black gardening
gloves from the hardware store or even the dollar store.

For the makeup, I once found a turorial on YouTube on how to do that makeup.

As for the "helmet," I would get someting like the paper crowns they
give little kids at Burger King (or just get a piece of cardstock and
make my own) and decorate it up like in the picture.

The only thing that I am not certain about making is the armour above
the waist.

On the show it moves more like a sort of heavy leather jacket rather
than actual armour, so my best idea so far is to take an "armpit
t-shirt" and strip piece either some leather or craft foam to it. I
might take apart the tshirt, then strip piece the leather and/or craft
foam, then sew it back up.

On other topics, I have drawn another strip in my yonkoma. When I first
started drawing this particular entry, my male character looked like
Hitler, and that made me get away from it. It was an easy fix, I just
removed the mustache.

In the last panel of my new entry, Rion, the female character, has an
exasperated look, and that turned out much better than I thought it would.

The address of my yonkoma is:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0...57680223526176.

I have also put some new pictures on my Flickr page, in the albums "sexy
villainesses," "more anime pictures," and "my creations." The address
of the "index" page for my albums is
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0908/albums

Brian Christiansen.

OT comic CATS Quilting 6 February 22nd 07 04:07 PM
Comic - Slightly on topic Joan E. Needlework 1 August 30th 05 01:14 AM
A comic strip I saw..... JJMolvik Yarn 7 July 12th 05 07:28 AM
OT - comic relief Queen of Squishies Quilting 1 August 15th 04 04:20 PM
Plugger comic JG Quilting 2 April 30th 04 05:15 AM