How do I know if I've baked correctly?

Old January 16th 04, 04:03 AM
Peggy M

Default How do I know if I've baked correctly?

Question from a clueless newbie:

I finally got up the nerve to bake my first pieces - thankfully, all of them
tests. Now I'm wondering how I can tell if I've baked them enough/too much.
I baked very thin pieces of Sculpty III (1/16") for 20 min. at 275 degrees.
They came out quite brittle and could be very easily broken, not unlike
pieces of stale stick gum. Certainly too breakable for use in jewelry
making, which is what I'm going for. I had expected more flexibility, so
I'm assuming that I'm doing something wrong. Or, is this normal and my
expectations are too high?

I used a large toaster oven and an oven thermometer to check that the
temperature stayed constant. I preheated the oven and the temp never
dropped below 250 (just when I put the stuff in), and never went over 275.
Both the toaster oven and thermometer are new and untested.

Any help will be much appreciated!

--
Peggy M
www.MargeAndPeggys.com

Old January 16th 04, 01:19 PM
SunsetStarWolf

You're not doing anything wrong; your temps and times seem fine. The problem
is no doubt your choice of polymer clay. Sculpey III is one of the weakest and
most brittle of the polymer clays. The only thing worse is the White Sculpey.
If you want to make stuff that holds up better and has a bit of 'give', I
suggest you use another clay. My clay of choice is Premo, but there's also
Fimo, Kato Clay and Cernit, which are all much more durable clays.
If you can't find these clays in a local store, www.polymerclayexpress.com has
them at excellent prices.
Also... I've found that if I'm baking at the correct temp (i.e. 265-275)
there's really no such thing as 'overbaking'. Burning usually just happens if
you're baking at too-high temps.
Hope that helps.

Barbara

(posted and emailed)

Old January 16th 04, 04:55 PM
Sjpolyclay

Also... I've found that if I'm baking at the correct temp (i.e. 265-275)
there's really no such thing as 'overbaking'. Burning usually just happens
if
you're baking at too-high temps.
Hope that helps.

Barbara

Sculpey clays and some of the colors based on trans not white clays (including
trans, flesh, maroon and purples, as well as others) in other brands such as
Premo and Fimo and Cernit do darken signifigantly with longer baking times. One
way to counteract this is by adding a pinch of white to your raw clays and
working it in.

Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old January 16th 04, 05:37 PM
Sjpolyclay

Thank you, Sarajane!

you are welcome!!

oh, the other thing I forgot to mention--High Altitude means differences in
baking PC as well as cakes----The chemists at Polyform suggested I jack my
temperatures up by 5 degrees F because I live over 5000ft altitude. It does
help!!! But you really have to watch the translucents. I bake on wads of
Polyfil stuffing or on tiles, keeps things more even.

Old January 27th 04, 01:49 AM
Lily

I've never had a problem with any of the clays I've used for jewelry.
Perhaps you are making them too thin. Regardless of the clay I'm
using, I strive for enough thickness that it will hold the findings I
insert yet be light enough for the person wearing the finished product
not to feel weighed down.

And make sure you don't have the clay too close to the top heating
element. That will cause burning regardless of your temperature. I
always watch my clay closely and make sure to have the proper
ventilation. You don't want to breathe in the fumes.

One thought. If you use Fimo's glaze after your pieces dry, that might
make them feel more sturdy. I have also used clear nail polish in a
pinch.

Hope this helps.

Lily