New Carver in need

Old February 3rd 05, 10:03 PM
Tiffany

Default New Carver in need

Hello ive been carving soapstone for about a year now. I had received my
mother-in-laws supplies when she past away and she had such a passion for
carving I gave it a shot and to my surprise they looked really good. But I
have used up all that I had and I cant find anyone in San Jose CA who even
knows what soapstone is. Does anyone have advise. I would also love any
patterns or tips. Being self taught I sure im probably doing everything the
hard way. Thanks Tiffany

Old February 3rd 05, 10:47 PM
Bob Weiske

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:03:32 -0800, "Tiffany"
wrote:

Hello ive been carving soapstone for about a year now. I had received my
mother-in-laws supplies when she past away and she had such a passion for
carving I gave it a shot and to my surprise they looked really good. But I
have used up all that I had and I cant find anyone in San Jose CA who even
knows what soapstone is. Does anyone have advise. I would also love any
patterns or tips. Being self taught I sure im probably doing everything the
hard way. Thanks Tiffany

Hi Tiffany:
I'm not a soapstone carver, but I've observed some gals doing some
excellent work in the carving workshop at the Little House in Menlo
Park to the north of you. Sadly, most of them have left the group, but
I might be able to answer specific questions if no one else more
knowledgeable steps forward with advice.
I did pick up a book by Kurt Haberstich called "Creating with
Soapstone" which you can find he
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...374132& itm=2
It seems to cover the basics. I never really got into it, as I'm busy
making wood chips ;-)
Hope this helps.

Bob Weiske
(change x to b to reply)
Old February 4th 05, 02:49 AM
Randy

Tiffany,

Just use Google and type in "Soapstone". I got 402,000 hits for soapstone.
I am sure that one of those will be able to help you with anything you might
require.

Randy :-}

Old February 4th 05, 04:50 PM
Joe Gorman

Tiffany wrote:
Hello ive been carving soapstone for about a year now. I had received my
mother-in-laws supplies when she past away and she had such a passion for
carving I gave it a shot and to my surprise they looked really good. But I
have used up all that I had and I cant find anyone in San Jose CA who even
knows what soapstone is. Does anyone have advise. I would also love any
patterns or tips. Being self taught I sure im probably doing everything the
hard way. Thanks Tiffany

Check companies that do countertops in stone. If they use soapstone
they'll have scraps.
JOe
Old February 25th 05, 03:43 PM
Robert Morgan

"Tiffany" wrote in message ...
Hello ive been carving soapstone for about a year now. I had received my
mother-in-laws supplies when she past away and she had such a passion for
carving I gave it a shot and to my surprise they looked really good. But I
have used up all that I had and I cant find anyone in San Jose CA who even
knows what soapstone is. Does anyone have advise. I would also love any
patterns or tips. Being self taught I sure im probably doing everything the
hard way. Thanks Tiffany

Tiffany
Hello I read Your message and thought I would reply. Stoneman
Distributors is a supplier of carving stone. Brazilian Soapstone is
our first choice as it is the cleanest and the one with the most
amazing colours.

Soapstone countertops is not the way to go as it is much harder and
brittle than the carving stone. I know as I sell both. If you wish you
can look me up at WWW.STONEMAN.CA and see what we have. I also give
out tips and you can see a large variety of carvings.