Applique Patterns - sources and prices was McKenna Ryan

Old October 29th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default Applique Patterns - sources and prices was McKenna Ryan

Yeah - her patterns are nice but a bit expensive.

But I found one that is even more so. A BOM Adopt-A-Dragon
pattern, 9 blocks, paper pattern is $20AUS per block, and
only one block has ANY instructions and they are really
minimal!! That's $180AUS just for the pattern, or about
$135US. And you had better know about quilting and applique
beforehand.

The pattern was so cute I hunted around and managed to find
a place that had the whole pattern on CD for $75AUS (total
cost about $60US), and in a moment of madness I bought it.
But when it arrived I found the blocks were very small
(overall quilt is only about 4'?, and some blocks only
10-12") and not really something I wanted to do. And to add
insult to injury, the website of the original designer of
the dragons gives permission for his dragon character
drawings to be used for personal non-profit applications and
includes drawings for two of the quilt blocks - for free!
All you have to do is trace them.

I do not mind paying a designer for their hard work and
talents, but this was a blatant case of someone getting
permission to use the designs and then overpricing them to a
ridiculous extent.

If I see a BOM I like I usually prefer to buy the pattern
and use my own fabrics. It also saves on shipping costs.
Most shops will do this for a fair price, and I have happily
paid over $80AUS for a BOM design I really liked (for a big
quilt with 8 full, 6 half and 4 corner blocks) and almost
$100 for a beautiful Baltimore-style BOM.

BTW - my dragon saga had a happy ending. I traded the CD
for something I did want!

So what does everyone think is a fair price to pay for a
pattern - say a detailed applique pattern? And how much
instruction do you expect/want to get with the pattern? Or
are you happy to just get the design?

Would anyone care to share details/links on their favourite
patterns?

Here's one of my favourites - an Aussie.
http://www.diannejohnstonproducts.co.../patterns.html
The site can be slow to load but is worth it. Her customer
service was disappoinging for me when I bought direct from
her (the quality of the printing was not what I expected on
the most recent BOM pattern I bought and her response was to
blame the printer - to which I responded that it was
published/distributed under her name and QA was her
responsibility!), but I still bought because I loved the
overall designs. I put them into EQ5 so I could play with
other colours and arrangements and vary the sizes. Her
newer designs are in the "shattered glass" technique, and
very nice. But I still prefer the more old fashioned floral
designs she first became known for. I still dream of making
a big quilt with a combination of most of her on-point
floral wreath blocks all together.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
: Howdy!
:
: $77 -- for the PATTERNs only-- whew!
:
: ( 7 patterns at $10.95 each, + shipping-- mercy! )
:
: It's very cuuuuuuute.
:
: Ragmop/Sandy
:
:
: On 10/27/06 10:16 PM, in article
: , "Patti S"
: wrote:
:
: I received the following email from "Pine Needles"
website this evening
: for a new McKenna Ryan series called "Gingerbread
Lane".... just
: charming as can be, and ohhh so cute. I adore her use of
batiks. The web
: address is
www.pineneedles.com - NAYY.
:
: Patti in Seattle
:
: Subject: Holiday News from McKenna Ryan!
:
: Hello friends,
: I wanted to give you a quick update and a sneak preview
of my latest
: design, "Gingerbread Lane" -- a delightful holiday quilt
series that I
: hope you'll really enjoy.
:
: Cheers!
: McKenna

Old October 30th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I find most Block of the Month plans way over priced. I don't think
quilters add all the expenses together before signing-up for the plan.
Many of them run $20 to $25 per block. Multiply that by 12 blocks and
add the cost of the finishing kit and this is one very expensive
quilt. The same instructions could be included in a $25 to $35 book.
Add $100 for fabric and you have a much more reasonably priced quilt.
Plus by purchasing your own fabrics the quilt is a little more your
own.

The trend in quilting right now is buying kits to make a quilt just
exactly like the sample. I have purchased a few of these myself. But I
hope quilters will venture out and pick their own fabrics
occasionally. Until they have the confidence to make their own
creations they will be at the mercy of the shop owner.

Susan