The thread on insuring a quilt got me to thinking.

Old January 27th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default The thread on insuring a quilt got me to thinking.

A few summers ago I saw an old quilt at a yard sale ($50) that looked to
be made of men's wool suits (circa 1920-30). They were all dark fabrics
and I wasn't interested in buying it for that reason. They were just
squares, nothing fancy.

But I was wondering what would be a reasonable amount to pay for just a
quilt top, should I find one, that I could bring home and finish myself.
I'll probably still be going to sales, even though I shouldn't, and
wondered about a ball park figure (I know prices vary according to area).
Old January 27th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have found a couple of tops for $5 at the thrift store. I have
several I have bought on Ebay. The yellow dwr here is one of the
$5.00 ones and I went ahead and repaired and quiilted it.

http://home1.gte.net/res6mc9p/tlw/ta...hoto_page.html

It just depends on the cost and how well it is made and how well
you like it. My favorite top I found in an antique store for $35.00.
All depression era prints. A DWR but all the cornerstones still need
to be stitched in.
Take a look on Ebay to get an idea of what tops go for
the big bucks.
Taria

Old January 27th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I wouldn't pay more for the top than it would cost me to make it myself,
unless it involved a lot of beautiful hand appliqué or other time-consuming
work. And I'd really have to love it to take the trouble of finishing it.
Too many quilts of my own to finish as it is! But that's just me, YMMD.
Roberta in D

"Phyllis Nilsson" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Old January 28th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Oh my, that DWR is a treasure, Taria! Just beautiful! I also am in love with
the second quilt. Those are MY colors! G Did you come up with the pattern
yourself, and is the DWR hand or machine quilted? All of your quilts are
wonderful!

Vickie in Cleveland

"Taria wrote ...
I have found a couple of tops for $5 at the thrift store. I have
several I have bought on Ebay. The yellow dwr here is one of the
$5.00 ones and I went ahead and repaired and quiilted it.

http://home1.gte.net/res6mc9p/tlw/ta...hoto_page.html
Taria

Applique' theads and Printer Christina in Ok Quilting 9 October 6th 05 02:32 PM
Story of a Hug Quilt Christina In Ok Quilting 17 November 11th 04 08:41 PM
Thread for Baby Quilt Mika Quilting 17 February 21st 04 01:18 AM
Another Thread question Mika Quilting 2 February 20th 04 02:09 AM
BRITS only - insuring a quilt earthmagic Quilting 2 September 4th 03 02:03 PM