dc5tog

Old November 9th 03, 04:49 PM
Rick & Barb

Default dc5tog

Good morning everyone, first time posting and also new to crocheting. I am
also having trouble with this
dc5tog stitch
can anyone explain this to me. I am working an afghan that has been really
easy to follow up to now and this is the edging on it. Thank so much

Barbara

Old November 9th 03, 05:28 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

My first instinct on this is to yo and draw up a loop in each of the next 5
stitches, then yo and pull through all the loops (11?) on the hook. Sounds
like an awful lot of loops, though.

Old November 9th 03, 05:30 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

Now, if the instructions are not US-written, then it may be just to draw up
a loop in each of the next 5 stitches, then yo and pull through all the
loops on the hook, which would only be 6 in this case. That sounds a bit
more reasonable, but it may not be correct.

Old November 9th 03, 05:49 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Barbara,

I have to agree with sew-sew lady on how to do the increase. Could you give us
a little more information and welcome to the group.

Nora
Old November 9th 03, 05:58 PM
Karen

"Rick & Barb" wrote in message
Good morning everyone, first time posting and also new to crocheting. I am
also having trouble with this
dc5tog stitch
can anyone explain this to me. I am working an afghan that has been really
easy to follow up to now and this is the edging on it. Thank so much

Barbara

From the Readers Digest Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting & Crocheting
Stitches:

"To work two or more double crochet stitches together (dc2tog, dc3tog, etc)

1. Wrap the yarn over the hook, insert the hook into the next stitch (or as
instructed), wrap the yarn, draw a loop through, wrap the yarn and draw
through 2 of the loops on the hook (2 loops left on the hook). Repeat this
step into the next stitch (3 loops on the hook.
For dc2tog wrap yearn and draw it through all loops to complete cluster.

2. For dc3tog, repeat the first stage of step 1 again, so that there are 4
loops on the hook. Wrap yarn over hook and draw through all loops to
complete cluster.
For larger clusters, repeat as required."

Another description of it from the same book:

dc5tog: *yo, insert hook as indicated, yo, draw loop through, yo, draw
through 2 loops* -- repeat from * to * for each "leg" of the cluster,
ending yo, and draw through all loops on the hook.

I'm not sure if that clarified or made it more confusing.

Karen in MN

Old November 9th 03, 07:03 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Rick & Barb"
wrote:

Good morning everyone, first time posting and also new to crocheting. I am
also having trouble with this
dc5tog stitch
can anyone explain this to me. I am working an afghan that has been really
easy to follow up to now and this is the edging on it. Thank so much

Barbara

Welcome Barbara, sorry can't help you with your problem, but I am sure you
will get some good answers

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old November 9th 03, 07:51 PM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:49:29 -0500, "Rick & Barb"
wrote:

Good morning everyone, first time posting and also new to crocheting. I am
also having trouble with this
dc5tog stitch
can anyone explain this to me. I am working an afghan that has been really
easy to follow up to now and this is the edging on it. Thank so much

You start to make a double crochet in the first stitch, but don't
finish it. (You stop when there are still two loops on the hook.) Then
you start a double crochet in the second stitch, but stop at the same
point, so that now there are three loops on the hook. You continue
like this with the other three stitches. When you've got to this
point with the fifth stitch, there will be six loops on the hook. Now
do one more yarnover and pull through all the loops on the hook.

I hope that's clear enough.

Barbara

Old November 9th 03, 08:53 PM
RigPilot

Not quite...only 6 loops. Do dc's leaving *last* loop of each on hook.

*YO, draw up a loop in next stitch, YO, draw through 2 loops on hook*, repeat
from * to * 4 times, YO, draw through all loops on hook.

Darwin (RigPilot)
Anaheim, CA USA
rigpilot at yahoo dot com

y.com...

"Rick & Barb" wrote in message
Good morning everyone, first time posting and also new to crocheting. I am
also having trouble with this
dc5tog stitch
can anyone explain this to me. I am working an afghan that has been really
easy to follow up to now and this is the edging on it. Thank so much

Barbara

---

Old November 9th 03, 09:26 PM
RigPilot

It is *not necessarily* an increase. When you crochet stitches together, it is a
decrease...just like when you knit stitches together. The Cluster Stitch done in
successive stitches is a decrease. The Cluster Edging done in the same stitch
does not increase nor decrease. It is a pattern texture feature.

Cluster Stitch - dc5tog in next 5 stitches
* Yarn over, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over, draw yarn through the
stitch, yarn over, draw through 2 loops on hook *, repeat from * to * 4 times.
(Yarn over, draw yarn through 6 loops on hook. (1 Cluster made)

Cluster Edging - dc5tog in same stitch
Yarn over, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over, draw yarn through the stitch,
yarn over, draw through 2 loops on hook, *yarn over, insert hook in same stitch,
yarn over, draw yarn through the stitch, yarn over, draw through 2 loops on hook
*, repeat from * to * 3 times. Yarn over, draw yarn through 6 loops on hook. (1
Cluster made)

Darwin (RigPilot)
Anaheim, CA USA
rigpilot at yahoo dot com