Help needed identifying machine attachments

Old January 11th 04, 04:46 AM
Ann

Default Help needed identifying machine attachments

I acquired my Mom's sewing machine after she passed away, which is a Singer,
model 9117. It's pretty uptown for me as I love my trusty ole basic
machine. Mom's sewing machine hasn't turned a bobbin in over 2 years
Partly cuz I just haven't had the heart to try it out, but it's time now

It has various attachments that are new to me, like an embroidery foot,
blindstitch presser foot, does embroidery stitches.

I found some additional attachments for the machine which she would have
purchased separately and aren't indentified in the thin manual. I have
taken 2 pics and have posted them, click on link below to have a look. the
first foot in "sewing attach 2" looks like a a basic pressure foot but I
have no guesses what that lever does. Would appreciate help in identifying
these please.

Thanks

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

Old January 11th 04, 04:58 AM
Martha in IN

Hi Ann,
Attachment 1 would be your walking foot, attachment 2 is, I think, a narrow
hem foot or maybe a binding foot. The other big clunky looking one is, I
think, a ruffler. Don't have a clue about the third one with that lever
though, I bet someone here knows.
Martha

Old January 11th 04, 05:53 AM
cozy

hmmmm.... I see 2 different things in each picture.
Picture #1 has a walking foot on the left side, and what appears to be an
attachement that will turn strips into that folded tape as you sew them.
Picture #2 is the foot I like to do machine applique with, as it has the
wide hole so the needle doesn't hit the metal and break off. I imagine
it's used for many things, anytime the needle is doing something besides
staying in one place and going straight up and down. The thing to the
right of that, I can't really make out.... I do remember having a ruffler
that has a lot of metal in it, but can't say if it looks like that (I'll
have to find it again to be sure of that one.) I just did a search on
ruffler feet and came up with this, it could be it:
http://www.pipcom.com/~tempus/sewing/tool_ruffler.html

Old January 11th 04, 06:30 AM
Jalynne

i know three of them

1. Walking foot
2. Binding foot
3. I don't know
4. Ruffler

--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old January 11th 04, 06:38 AM
Ann

That's a great site that you posted Cozy......... thanks! Explains how to
use diff attachments.

OK, I have a walking foot....and didni't know it until tonight
yipppeeeeeeeeeee
The one beside the walking foot would be a binding foot I think

The second picture.......second attachment would be a ruffler (ya right,
I'll get right on that one LOL). The first attachment in that pic you said
would probably be used for applique. Will try to explain what this lever
does. Looks like the needle hole is a bit bigger than the standard pressure
foot. There is a metal ring that fits snuggly in this hole. This metal
ring is attached to the lever, so when the lever is lifted, the metal ring
lifts up from the pressure foot a good 1/4-1/2 of an inch. What purpose
would that be for? I don't do appliquing.

On my basic machine the pressure foot they recommend for applique is more
open toed so you can see your edges. This foot is more like your standard
perssure foot used for straight and zig zag

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

. com...

Old January 11th 04, 06:41 AM
Ann

Thanks Martha.
Got 3 of them identified.
Soon as I do a little practising with my "new" machine will be trying out
the walking foot

Old January 11th 04, 06:42 AM
Ann

Thanks Jalynne
3 down.........1 to go (G)

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky
"Jalynne" wrote in message
nk.net...
i know three of them

1. Walking foot
2. Binding foot
3. I don't know
4. Ruffler

Old January 11th 04, 07:01 AM
cozy

yea, I guess that's the way it worked for me because when I bought my cheapo
machine it only had a couple of feet, and the one with the wide hole was the
one I used to do zig zag, and consiquently, the machine applique that was
nothing more than a very close together zig zag stitch that covered the
edges of the pieces. But I have no idea about that center hole that lifts
out, that is spooky!

Ann wrote in message
[...]

. com...

Old January 11th 04, 08:01 AM
Ann

This darn foot........has to be quilt related LOL
This attachment wasn't standard equipment with the sewing machine.....would
have been bought separately. Mom did a lot of sewing and 90% of it was
quilting. A lot of applique, machine piecing, that sort of thing was done on
the sewing machine.
She did her quilting by hand.

If no one can enlighten me, I'll take it along the next trip to my LQS and
ask.

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

. com...

Ann wrote in message
[...]

. com...

Old January 11th 04, 08:44 AM
nzl*

just got round to checking out those feet, Ann.

first one is indeed a walking foot. the slotted thingy is attached to the
screw so it moves up and down as it sews forward.

could the second one in pix 1 be used to feeding the binding thru the rolly
thing at the front for attaching the binding in one go, both sides at once.

hmmmm pix 2....reg type foot, wide hole for wide stitches like zigzag etc, a
'spring' at the back too...that wee 'lever', hmmmmm. not too sure bout that
one.

the second one in pix 2 could be either a ruffler or a ribbon feeder.
if there is several slots of different sizes, could be for feeding thru
multiple ribbons at the same time. nope, just the one slot, eh. so i reckon
i'll agree with the majority and go for a ruffler.
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Ann" wrote...