silks

Old February 20th 04, 01:32 PM
BDS2pds

Default silks

Got this in an email from a reliable shop now don't know what to do. Opinions
please?

Summary of Stranded Spun Silks:

Au Ver a Soie “Soie d’Alger”- “A” - best quality and color
selection, good luster, medium twist, strong thread

Needlepoint Inc. – “B” – nice colors, smooth feel, luster OK, wavy and
somewhat weak, washable

Kreinik “Silk Mori” – “C” – rough look and feel, brittle, breaks
easily, poor color selection

Rainbow Gallery “Splendor” – “C” – soft and fluffy, wavy, weak
thread with almost no luster

Over-Dyes- “B+” – same as above but the beautiful colors add a lot of
value

Gumnuts “Stars” and “Aztecs” – “D” - just plain unattractive

Old February 20th 04, 01:46 PM
BDS2pds

What I was thinking exactly Cheryl. I have only had Kreinik but no problems.
This silk with surface embroidery is new to me. I think it needs a different
approach than say a cross stitch in a sampler.
Old February 20th 04, 01:53 PM
Jenn Ridley

(BDS2pds) wrote:
Got this in an email from a reliable shop now don't know what to do. Opinions
please?
Summary of Stranded Spun Silks:

Au Ver a Soie Soie dAlger- A - best quality and color
selection, good luster, medium twist, strong thread

Needlepoint Inc. B nice colors, smooth feel, luster OK, wavy and
somewhat weak, washable

Kreinik Silk Mori C rough look and feel, brittle, breaks
easily, poor color selection

Rainbow Gallery Splendor C soft and fluffy, wavy, weak
thread with almost no luster

Over-Dyes- B+ same as above but the beautiful colors add a lot of
value

Gumnuts Stars and Aztecs D - just plain unattractive

The test stitcher started with Soie d'Alger, and decided that any
other silk was deficient. It also seems as though the tester was
expecting silk floss to act like cotton floss. (that, or s/he is
trying to come up with reasons not to carry anything else.)

Personally, I think that the tester is full of it, but that's just me.
I'd like to see it done as a proper blind test.

I'd ignore it. Although, if it really bothers you, you may want to
find out exactly who did the 'testing' and how. Maybe organise a few
testers of your own and do a blind test (everyone gets coded lengths
of the flosses, with one person having a master list of which code is
which floss).

I like Splendor better than Soie D'alger. I find that it has plenty
of luster when handled properly, and I've not noticed any weakness.

Silk Mori isn't supposed to be a smooth floss. It's more of a fine
perle. It's a specialty silk, and when used appropriately is quite
nice.

I've not used the Gumnuts or the Needlepoint Inc silks, but lots of
people seem to like them.

I'm currently working on a piece that has Soie d'Alger, Splendor, and
Eterna stranded (not minitwist) in it. The Eterna is the glossiest,
followed by Splendor and Soie d'Alger (this is satin stitch, cross
stitch may be different). I find that Splendor is the easiest to use,
then the Soie d'Alger, then the Eterna. This is to be expected, since
the Eterna is not twisted, and flat silks are harder to work with than
twisted silks.

There's also some Silk Mori in it, used for textural contrast. It's
nice.

Go with what you like. If your shop owner won't carry it, find
someone else who does.

ymmv
jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

WIP: Art Stitch Rose Trio, Emperor's Coat, Stretch, Halloween Circle
Most recently Finished: Santa Christmas Stocking, Will Work for Freezer Space, Turnberry Ridge
Old February 20th 04, 01:59 PM
BDS2pds

I never even thought of it Cheryl. Would it be too bouncy ??? Of course I
might have quite a lot left over !!!!!! Guess it depends on the price.... The
yarn hanks I just bought for hubby sweater was $12.95 a hank and that could get
expensive with all the colors.....Wondering now; might be interesting but
likely not enough colors to choose from......

Have you thought about using a silk yarn (as in knitting) versus a
"needlework" product?

I have seen a fine yarn at a LYS, about the weight of a single ply of crewel
yarn. I could suffer and go visit and get the name! LOL
Cheryl

Old February 20th 04, 02:02 PM
Meredith

Kreinik has color packs of Soie d'Alger for sale in their "yardsale" on
their website. It comes out to about $1/skein, with 30-50 skeins per
pack (all different colors).

Meredith

Old February 20th 04, 02:13 PM
Dr. Brat

Try for yourself instead of believing someone else. I disagree heartily
about both Splendor and Gumnuts silks. Watch Ebay to see if
OzarkSampler has one of her silk try it sets up soon. She gives you one
yard lengths of various different silks to try...

Actually, if you send me your snailmail, I can send you some Splendor,
Au Ver A Soie, Gumnuts, Madeira, Soie Cristal, and Needlepoint Inc to
try. I don't have any Silk Moiri.

Elizabeth

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old February 20th 04, 02:15 PM
Dr. Brat

BDS2pds wrote:
What I was thinking exactly Cheryl. I have only had Kreinik but no problems.
This silk with surface embroidery is new to me. I think it needs a different
approach than say a cross stitch in a sampler.

I don't know where Dianne is, but she does a ton of surface work and
swears by Madeira silks, which she also sells.

Elizabeth

VC Silks on Ebay Marketplace 0 February 5th 05 02:08 AM
Kreinik Silk Mori® Milkpaint™ Colors BDS2pds Needlework 33 February 21st 04 06:38 PM
Silk Floss Rhea Needlework 56 January 27th 04 08:05 PM
eQuilter's Library Tour, Silks on Sale Paul Rubin Marketplace 0 January 13th 04 07:48 PM
Pressing linen stitched with overdyed floss Freya Needlework 23 November 11th 03 02:53 PM