wash or rinse?

Old July 29th 03, 08:31 AM
Tea Chapter

Default wash or rinse?

Hi,

I have just begin to do cross stitch. As this is my first time completed a
cross stitch project, i read from books that we have to wash our completed
project before framing?

My question is do we rinse with just water or do we have to wash it with
detergent? After the wash, do we have to let the project air dry or iron
dry?

Thank you.

Regards,
Isabel

Old July 29th 03, 11:47 AM
F.James Cripwell

You will probably get a huge variety of different answers. IMHO, the
thing that matters is what materials you used to do the stitching. If you
used the "best", such as DMC or Anchor floss, there is not much need to
worry. If you used "el cheapo" that is a different matter. We have heard
stories of people who have cross stitched baby bibs. When used regularly,
they have been thrown in the washer and drier with harsh detergents and
bleach for several months. At the end of that time, the bib is falling to
pieces, and the stitching just as good as new.
On a personal basis, I hand wash in Tide and hot water, rinse well, hang
to dry, and iron on the back side. I only use the best materials for
sewing. HTH.

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old July 29th 03, 02:29 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

And that answer from Jim is as well-rounded as they come.
If you're unsure about your threads - they're not a known brand - snip
some pieces, stitch them onto a scrap cloth, and wash them to see what
happens. Some metallics won't take harsher soaps, others come through
it just fine.

When rinsing, rinse until you would drink the water. grin Soap
residue can take a lot or rinsing to remove.

Iron face down, while damp, over a doubled or triple terry towel.
Dianne

Old July 30th 03, 03:17 AM
Darla

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:31:16 +0800, "Tea Chapter"
wrote:

Hi,

I have just begin to do cross stitch. As this is my first time completed a
cross stitch project, i read from books that we have to wash our completed
project before framing?

My question is do we rinse with just water or do we have to wash it with
detergent? After the wash, do we have to let the project air dry or iron
dry?

Thank you.

Regards,
Isabel

Isabel, the best washing stuff is Orvus. It's horse shampoo (yes, you
read that right), but is also marketed under a host of other, less
equine, names, including Treasure Wash, Ensure, and Quilt Soap. If
your local stores (LNS and/or LQS) don't have one or the other,
www.nordicneedle.com has them. Use cold/cool water, as heat sets
stains (ever tried to get a stain out after it's been through the
dryer?). Don't wring it out, at any stage. Sometimes it helps if you
let your project just sit and soak in the soapy water, swishing it
around periodically. This is especially good if a project is really
dirty. Rinse. Rinse. Rinse. Rinse again. Rinse some more. Rinse.
And rinse again. Roll it up in a clean, ideally light-colored (or a
well-washed colored), towel. Squeeze. Lay the project flat, face
down, on another light-colored towel, and *press* the project mostly
dry with a hot iron (Aida is cotton; it's pretty much okay to use the
"cotton" setting, but be careful if you've used any specialty fibers
or beads). At this point, I lay it out face down on yet another
light-colored towel, and let it finish drying. Sometimes I'll lay a
piece of muslin over it, as we ventilate the house with open windows
and fans, and the LA area is smoggy and dusty and has afternoon
breezes off the ocean.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old July 30th 03, 01:38 PM
Teri George

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:29:51 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

And that answer from Jim is as well-rounded as they come.
If you're unsure about your threads - they're not a known brand - snip
some pieces, stitch them onto a scrap cloth, and wash them to see what
happens. Some metallics won't take harsher soaps, others come through
it just fine.

Um, just wanted to point out that DMC is now admitting that a number
of its colors - especially the reds - may run when washed! They've
been quietly sending lists of colors that may run to the LNSs.

They recommend *pre*-rinsing the floss until the water runs clear.

Teri ~~ Secure online shopping now available
at CraftSoft Publications/Design Encounters Kits
http://www.craftsoft.com
Remove "knot" to email.
Old July 30th 03, 01:43 PM
Teri George

wrote:

Hi,

I have just begin to do cross stitch. As this is my first time completed a
cross stitch project, i read from books that we have to wash our completed
project before framing?

My question is do we rinse with just water or do we have to wash it with
detergent? After the wash, do we have to let the project air dry or iron
dry?

Isabel, it really depends on how dirty your piece is. Mine stay very
clean but I prefer to rinse out any unseen oils.

I put a small amount of Palmolive Dishwashing Liquid in a basin of
water and swish it around. Then I rinse (more than wash) the piece in
the liquid. I say rinse because I don't do any kind of scrubbing but
just move the soapy water mix through the stitched piece. Then I
rinse it a couple of times with clear water, roll it in a towel to
absorb most of the moisture, and then iron it dry - wrong side up.

HTH!

Old July 31st 03, 02:27 AM
Wneedlej

You may wash with a mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory, or there is a
product called "Treasure Wash". After washing, roll in a towel (do not twist
or wring). Press while damp face down on a towel, preferably white. This will
make your stitches stand up and out.

Good luck!
Old July 31st 03, 10:59 PM
Ellice

On 7/29/03 10:17 PM,"Darla" posted:

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:31:16 +0800, "Tea Chapter"
wrote:

*snip*
[...]

Darla gave an excellent response. I'm only going to add a little bit.
Working at a LNS/Framer - we do a lot of cleaning/washing of needlework that
is being framed.

First, with regular floss, DMC or Anchor, it's usually just fine to wash it.
If you've used silks, you must try them before washing. Many will run. If
you've used overdyes, floss or silk, then you likely cannot wash them -
these are generally tagged saying that they shouldn't be washed as the
overdyes aren't colorfast.

When you wash, as Darla says, Orvus is great. If you don't have that, we
often in the shop use Ivory dishwashing liquid. Always COLD water. And a
splash (1/4 cup) of White Vinegar. Just the plainest kind of vinegar. This
helps with setting the dye. Especially important if you have Reds, some
Purples, in the design add the vinegar to the liquid detergent and cold
water. Swish it around, follow Darla's directions - no wringing.

After it's been ironed, we usually let it hang to final dry, rather than lay
it down. Good luck.

ellice

How do you wash swarovski's? Candace Beads 22 May 30th 04 11:33 PM
acid wash jk Glass 6 March 19th 04 09:55 PM
kiln wash recipe A&V Pottery 7 November 24th 03 05:07 AM
kiln wash question psci_kw Pottery 1 July 26th 03 11:51 PM
Kiln Wash L.Mac Pottery 3 July 23rd 03 10:31 PM