was Banned from the Garden!--very longnowschool

Old July 23rd 03, 01:35 AM
Darla

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:48:48 -0400, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

Common wisdom has it that it's virtually impossible to flunk out of an
Ivy League school as well - good old "gentlemen's Cs" and all that.

There's one of those occupying the White House.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old July 23rd 03, 01:47 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"Dr. Brat" had some very interesting things to
say about was Banned from the Garden!--very longnowschool:

You're reading ALL the posts? Well, that won't last. And I sincerely
doubt that anybody here either reads all the posts or expects others to.
We'd never get anything else done.

I'm in several high-traffic newsgroups [let's not even discuss all the
e-mail lists :-)]. I *have* to filter out posters who have nothing
worth reading to say or whose writing style I find incomprehensible.
There are only so many hours per day, after all. :-)

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old July 23rd 03, 01:55 AM
Dr. Brat

emerald wrote:
"Dr. Brat" wrote

"Ivy League"......where did the expression originate? and is there an
"official" definition?

Somebody else gave you the official definition. I always heard it was
called the Ivy League because of the ivy growing over the buildings.
The idea being that these were the colleges that were old enough to have
acquired such growth.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*barnacle-encrusted bitch~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old July 23rd 03, 03:54 AM
emerald

"Dr. Brat" wrote
Somebody else gave you the official definition. I always heard it was
called the Ivy League because of the ivy growing over the buildings.
The idea being that these were the colleges that were old enough to have
acquired such growth.

Interesting! Thanks all!

emerald

Old July 23rd 03, 04:32 AM
Dawne Peterson

"Darla" wrote
Gawd, doesn't anyone know how to use pronouns? This statement calls

for the objective, me, not the reflexive, myself.

Sorry, I was looking for posts pertaining to me. I thought that might
substantially reduce my reading time.
Dawne

Old July 23rd 03, 11:17 AM
Brenda Lewis

Bachelor of Commerce according to
http://www.stmarys.ca/academic/commerce/

Ellice wrote:
Could you tell us what a "BCOMM maj. Accounting" is? Are you saying an
Associate Arts (2 yr) degree from the Comm College? Or hoping to get a
Bachelors in Business Admin (perhaps Commerce?) ?

Seriously, I've never seen the "BCOMM" designation, so it was a real
question.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Old July 23rd 03, 12:08 PM
F.James Cripwell

I have been interested in the past as to where some expressions come
from. Often it turns out no-one knows at all. There is no known origin
for "tatting". Where the Oscars come from is a mystery. There is a story
that some typist said she thought the statue looked like her Uncle Oscar.
Even if true, its a bizarre way to get a name. In the Canadian military,
the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry had a banner presented to
the regiment, made by Princess Pat, at the start of WWI. By the end of
the war it was called the Ricket Dam Doo; no-one knows why. Ivy League
may be in the same category.

"emerald" ) writes:
"Dr. Brat" wrote
Somebody else gave you the official definition. I always heard it was
called the Ivy League because of the ivy growing over the buildings.
The idea being that these were the colleges that were old enough to have
acquired such growth.

Interesting! Thanks all!

emerald

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old July 23rd 03, 01:27 PM
Dr. Brat

Ellice wrote:
On 7/22/03 5:48 PM,"Dr. Brat" posted:

Common wisdom has it that it's virtually impossible to flunk out of an
Ivy League school as well - good old "gentlemen's Cs" and all that.

Elizabeth (but I'll guarantee that you can flunk out of a state run 4
year comprehensive college)

Well, I know that you can flunk out of any state school. But, not to burst
any bubbles - I know people who have been asked not to return to their Ivy
School. And not for behaviour. And not for failing everything. It's a very
departmental thing - the standards in the Engineering or Science College are
often different than in the English Dept, or the Management school, or
general studies.

Maybe some schools run that way, but not all. Someone I know well, had a
-2.7 or so in Chem Eng, a very difficult major. Family tragedy - parent died
- at the very start of senior year. Student took 2 weeks off - came back -
realized it was a disaster semester after a few weeks. Not allowed to
withdraw, finished term, badly - failed a course, a D, some Cs, I think
about a 1.5 for that term. Told you're out. Begged to be allowed to stay, on
probation, explained situation, etc. Dept chairman said - you should've
withdrawn right away - it's your fault. Too bad. Maybe, if you sit out a
year, and take courses elsewhere, we'll let you back. This to a senior. It
dos happen.

Sure it happens. And I also know places where that department chair
would have been told by his or her dean to reconsider. I've also gone
to bat for students like that and gotten them retroactive medical
withdrawals. Original advisor didn't know what to do for him, but I
happened to know who to call and what to ask for and kept at it until he
had what he needed. Sometimes it depends on who you know and what
they're willing to do for you. I know a student who was told by another
professor that he couldn't make up an exam that he missed because of
emergency surgery. I can't imagine doing that, but I know it happens.

I know a professor who caught a student cheating and did nothing about
it because the student was a basketball player, and this professor
didn't want the team to lose him. As it turns out, student didn't
finish school anyway. Plays for the NBA now. I would have flunked him
for cheating, but that's me. Takes all kinds AND it depends on how the
administration behaves. As a grad student, I caught a student cheating
and the department chair made it clear that she would not support my
doing anything about it. Where I teach now, it's up to me and what I do
depends on how the student reacts when confronted with the evidence.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*barnacle-encrusted bitch~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old July 23rd 03, 02:13 PM
EGNeedler

It may be quite difficult to stay in some
schools with good, or passing grades, while, IME, it's virtually impossible
to flunk out of a community college.

I take exception to this statement. I taught in a community college for 15
years and, believe me, it was very possible to flunk out. Many did, not only
in our nursing program but in all other programs also. We had certain standards
which had to be met whether your IQ was 170 or 100--if not met, out you went,
perhaps with a struggle; mom and dad, local politicians, dean, college
president.

Eleanor the Elder
Old July 24th 03, 02:00 AM
Ellice

On 7/23/03 8:27 AM,"Dr. Brat" posted:

Ellice wrote:
On 7/22/03 5:48 PM,"Dr. Brat" posted:

Common wisdom has it that it's virtually impossible to flunk out of an
Ivy League school as well - good old "gentlemen's Cs" and all that.

Elizabeth (but I'll guarantee that you can flunk out of a state run 4
year comprehensive college)

Well, I know that you can flunk out of any state school. But, not to burst
any bubbles - I know people who have been asked not to return to their Ivy
School. And not for behaviour. And not for failing everything. It's a very
departmental thing - the standards in the Engineering or Science College are
often different than in the English Dept, or the Management school, or
general studies.

*snipped good discussion*
for cheating, but that's me. Takes all kinds AND it depends on how the
administration behaves. As a grad student, I caught a student cheating
and the department chair made it clear that she would not support my
doing anything about it. Where I teach now, it's up to me and what I do
depends on how the student reacts when confronted with the evidence.

You are so right. When I caught the kids cheating on homework, which was
indeed a good 40% of their grade, they got 0s. And I went to the prof - of
course we shook our head. I won't tolerate it. Heck, when I was in undergrad
school, I had started doing some grad classes, and worked as an RA for a
prof of mine in the OR dept. He made me proctor some exam that was being
given as a make-up - for a bunch of students who had failed so horribly on
the first time around that he was giving them a do-over. Long story to that.
Many graduating seniors, required course. I knew these people, as my OR
degree was part thru the IndEngr dept, and they were Ies - struggling with
the OR stuff. I actually had to lend someone a calculator. After a while I
noticed calculators being passed around the room - with of course answers.
Talk about some people failing. First I had to get mine back. Then have
books re-stashed all at the front of the room, and stand in the hallway to
get Chuck, the prof's attention - so we could talk while I watched. I think
he tossed 5 or 6 from the room, and at least 3 seniors didn't graduate on
time - big war. He was right. It was so offensive. Private school, some very
wealthy students - from other cultures - who felt that cheating was just
fine if they could pay their way. At one point I remember being offered
$150 a homework problem for some queuing theory problems that had to be done
on the computer. Amazing.

At CMU, in my dept, cheating earned you an F, for the most part. OTOH,
that's a school where the football team is named for fabric (the Tartans). I
mean really, how can you be worried about the fighting plaids?

ellice