good knot tutorial?

Old February 23rd 04, 11:55 AM
blue42girl

Default good knot tutorial?

Can anyone recommend what they think is the *best* all-inclusive, most
useful book for learning to tie a wide variety of knots? If it has
illustrations as well, so much the better. I like knots, but I don't
have access to a useful book to improve my skills and want to fix
that.

Thanks

Renee
=^.^=
Old February 23rd 04, 03:30 PM
Koos Pol

O J wrote (Monday 23 February 2004 14:50):

---------------------pasted text follows----------------------
THE KNOT BOOK
By Geoffrey Budworth

I'm very contempt with Budworth's books. But the newer ones tend
to be a bit too "glossy" for me. The older ones are very well
written: Lots of pictures and many knots for daily use.

But in light of the groups you posted this, my daily use of knots
is probably a bit different :-)

--
KP
43rd Law of Computing: "Anything that can go wr
Old February 23rd 04, 10:22 PM
Martin Combs

I keep a copy of Knots Useful & Ornamental in my desk at work a very good
little book that is one of my favorites. Spencers Knots Splices and
Fancywork is my second choice very good illustrations in both books.

Marty
www.knotstuff.com

om...

Old February 24th 04, 01:47 AM
Binder

blue42girl wrote:

Can anyone recommend what they think is the *best* all-inclusive, most
useful book for learning to tie a wide variety of knots? If it has
illustrations as well, so much the better. I like knots, but I don't
have access to a useful book to improve my skills and want to fix
that.

"The Ashley Book of Knots." There are no contenders, that I have seen,
and I've seen most of them.

Old February 24th 04, 01:52 AM
Binder

O J wrote:

Rather than name a preference, though Ashley's is certainly the
most comprehensive, let me point you to a source. Edwardrhamilton.com
is a bookseller that deals in discounted and remaindered books. I
just ordered several knot books from them at greatly reduced prices.
You probably don't want to start out with Ashley's 3800 knots at one
time anyway.

One may never attempt to tie all of Ahsley's Knots. However, it is the
best on general knotting technique and practice. Its one great failing,
IMO, is that it doesn't detail how to tie some of the more complex
endevors. There are areas he didn't touch on at all, like interwoven
knots as used commonly by whipmakers and tack makers.

OTOH, you can't learn as much about knots, materials, and tools in any
other single source.

Binder
--
LLEBOOTHSLG
remove my TAILS to email me

Fisherman's Bend, or Anchor Bend, Online Tutorial Using Flash Video Knots-lover Knots 2 February 16th 04 04:35 PM
The Foole's Twist -- an improved handcuff knot O J Knots 0 February 7th 04 02:10 PM
My first tutorial for you guys! Valerie Beads 9 November 23rd 03 07:00 PM
My good news Carol in SLC Beads 0 October 14th 03 02:44 PM
Some good news! Lee S. Billings Beads 7 July 4th 03 07:10 PM