The Bucket List

Old October 23rd 10, 05:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default The Bucket List

My surgery date is creeping up on me -- November 1. For some reason I
am obsessed with
finishing quilts. I finished one today using my aunt's Handiquilter
and have one more to go.
Is this crazy or what? Of the hundreds of things I *should* be doing,
or worrying about, I'm
stuck on finishing quilts that have been UFO status for *months*.

The one I finished today is small. I'm thinking about taking it to the
hospital with me. I
hate those heavy cotton blanket things they have. Wonder if they'll
object.

Sherry
Old October 23rd 10, 05:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I guess I missed the post about your surgery- best of luck with that. I
always make a quilt to take to the hospital- when I know in advance that
I'll be there. The hospital is always cold, so I appreciate the extra
warmth and a quilt is just special. And it attracts a lot of visitors-
nurses and docs always comment and strangers glance in and then the quilt
draws them in for a conversation about quilts. It's fun- if you feel well
enough to visit..... (And making quilts is a good distraction from worrying
about the impending surgery, too.)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 23rd 10, 07:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Sherry

Several years ago, I too was obcessed with making quilts before my
surgeries. Actually that action kept me sane and calm. And...I took
my new quilt with me to the hospital. After surgery just having that
piece of fabric with me kept me calm and I knew everything was going
to be alright.

So you take your bankie with you, and I doubt if anyone would object.
So when you make it back home, let us all know how your surgery turned
out and how having the quilt with you made you feel.

KateT. South Mississippi

Old October 23rd 10, 10:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I know how you feel. Except, in my case, I daren't finish all of
them...

I was allowed a small quilt (and my teddybear) with me in the
psychiatric wards, but there are strict rules on the medical wards due
to infection control. They don't allow flowers and cards, for
example, the doctors don't wear ties and no-one medical is allowed
long sleeves. Different hospitals have different regulations, so I
would check, if I were you, that you would be allowed your quilt. It
would be awful to take it and find it had to be sent home.

I was allowed my sewing with me, but they got a bit anxious about the
needles, so I was only allowed one at a time. That makes sense, as a
less careful patient could easily scatter a few and they don't go well
with bare feet! Be aware of the rules for electricals as well. Some
places are very picky (quite properly) about hairdriers, music-players
and mobile phone-chargers. They may need to be tested before they
will allow you to use the plugs.

I only mention this because, if you are anxious about your surgery,
knowledge about the little things brings comfort. And with comfort
there is relaxation and better healing.

Take good care, and I hope that all goes really, really well.
Nel
(Gadget Queen)
And probably should write a Good Hospital Guide, at this rate!!!
Old October 23rd 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh my goodness, yes. Do call the hospital and root around until you find
someone who can tell you if your quilt will be allowed. Our local hospital
is firmly persuaded that keeping the temperature of patients, visitors and
staff well below freezing is a good idea. Also. Do you have some warm
fuzzy house shoes to pack? Feet get mighty cold when the nice nurses put
all the patients on a forced march. Holding you close, Polly

Old October 23rd 10, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

"Sherry" wrote in message

My surgery date is creeping up on me -- November 1. For some reason I
am obsessed with
finishing quilts. I finished one today using my aunt's Handiquilter
and have one more to go.
Is this crazy or what? Of the hundreds of things I *should* be doing,
or worrying about, I'm
stuck on finishing quilts that have been UFO status for *months*.

The one I finished today is small. I'm thinking about taking it to the
hospital with me. I
hate those heavy cotton blanket things they have. Wonder if they'll
object.

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

I whined about it a while back. It's gastric bypass. I nearly need a
Valium just
to *say* those words. Same surgery for obesity, but the reason for
mine is
scar tissue is occluding the exit to my stomache. I'd rather be set on
fire, but
they say if I don't have it I will starve to death. I reckon I'll
already be attracting
enough attention to myself just being the only 94-pounder on the floor
so
bringing my own quilt might be a good distraction. Thanks.

Sherry
Old October 23rd 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Oct 23, 1:54*am, "Kate T." wrote:
Hey Sherry

Several years ago, I too was obcessed with making quilts before my
surgeries. *Actually that action kept me sane and calm. *And...I took
my new quilt with me to the hospital. *After surgery just having that
piece of fabric with me kept me calm and I knew everything was going
to be alright.

So you take your bankie with you, and I doubt if anyone would object.
So when you make it back home, let us all know how your surgery turned
out and how having the quilt with you made you feel.

KateT. *South Mississippi

God love her, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

Sherry
Old October 23rd 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I think taking something small that you can throw over you will be
comforting and much more flattering than the solid colored bed
coverings. It will perk you up, and you won't be "patient in room 3B"
you'll be "the lady with the cool quilt".

Battery powered radio, earplugs when you want to rest [if you share a
room], crossword puzzle or book to read.

yes, keep a few quilts to work on and finish after the surgery/
recovery.
Sending healing thoughts for a successful outcome,

Ginger in CA

Old October 23rd 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Fleece bathrobe! I once gave one to a dear friend facing surgery,
instead of flowers. She said it saved her life :-)
Roberta in D