Piecing batting - thank you!

Old October 2nd 10, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie[_2_]

Default Piecing batting - thank you!

I want to say a thousand "thank yous" to whomever posted about piecing
batting using the method of butting the pieces together and machine
zigzagging them together. I DREAD piecing batting and force myself to do it
anyway, using a needle and thread, whip stitching. This morning I pieced
together enough batting to make two baby quilts and the seams are so neat,
tidy, and strong, and took less than 10 minutes. Thank you, thank you, thank
you!! My life is so much better for this advice.

Trixie

Old October 2nd 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

When you can, Trixie, find yourself a gathering foot. It is just nothing
but what looks like a folded piece of metal with an opening for the needle
to zig in. The gathering foot doesn't have any toes, grooves, flanges or
pointy parts for the batting to hang in. Polly

"Trixie"

Old October 2nd 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie[_2_]

Thanks Polly. I think I actually have one of those for one of my (three)
sewing machines! Life gets better and better!

Trixie

Old October 2nd 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

There is also a "new" notion now available. About 2" wide, low heat
fusible tape for joining batting pieces. G
You only need it on one side of the join, it is very lightweight and
is (evidently) a dream to use. I haven't been able to try it yet
because we keep selling out of it so fast. G
Long armers have tested it and have no problems.

Pati, in Phx, who hates to sew batting together in any way. G

Old October 2nd 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie[_2_]

This really is a great time to be quilting, with so many new innovations and
techniques. I've only been quilting 8 years, am still learning new things
all the time, and am amazed at what folks come up with!

Trixie

Old October 2nd 10, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KT in Mich

It is soooo easy to piece batting that I really don't see a need for a
gadget to help IF you have a zig-zag stitch on your machine. Just take 2
pieces of batting that you want to join, lay them side by side and overlap
the 2 edges you want joined by about an inch or so. Cut up the center of
the 2 of the overlapped pieces. Then lay them back down and fit them
together --- the cuts you made in the pieces should match up perfectly to
each other. Set a nice wide zig-zag on your machine and stitch right down
the 2 pieces. No overlaps, perfect join, nice and flat and strong. I use
up a lot of scrap pieces of batting, joining them together to make my
practice quilt sandwiches. And it feels good knowing that I'm not wasting
the good stuff on practice pieces.

KT. in MI

Old October 2nd 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I have a nice solution for pieces of batting- I donate them to the senior
center. It makes them happy to receive the donations and I don't have to
mess with joining the pieces. But then I buy my Warm & Natural by the bolt
with a 50% off coupon, so it's maybe a little easier for me to pass on the
batting pieces. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 3rd 10, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

When I do this, I cut in wavy line rather than straight to reduce the
chance that someone would be able to feel the seam. I also make a mark
across the join with a washable marker before sewing so that I keep the
pieces lined up correctly instead of feeding one piece through the
machine a bit faster than the other.

Julia in MN

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old October 3rd 10, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie[_2_]

So many good ideas it ALMOST makes me want to piece more batting! Thanks for
the suggestions.

Trixie