Casting/bulding up "acrylic resin" ?

Old September 27th 04, 12:16 AM
Jim Meier

Default Casting/bulding up "acrylic resin" ?

Hi folks!

For a while now I've wanted to make some simple little shapes out of
plastic, and some google searches have turned up the idea of using an
'acrylic resin' (or other sort of plastic resin)

My problem is, I can't find anywhere to purchase the stuff. Most things
I've read say to find it at hardware stores, but Rona, Co-op and Home
Depot all look at me blankly when I ask.

Does anyone know where I can find some?

Thanks,
-Jim
Old September 27th 04, 04:18 AM
NE333RO

Does anyone know where I can find some?

Arts and crafts stores.
Old September 27th 04, 04:18 AM
Heinrich Butschal

Jim Meier wrote:

Hi folks!

For a while now I've wanted to make some simple little shapes out of
plastic, and some google searches have turned up the idea of using an
'acrylic resin' (or other sort of plastic resin)

My problem is, I can't find anywhere to purchase the stuff. Most things
I've read say to find it at hardware stores, but Rona, Co-op and Home
Depot all look at me blankly when I ask.

Does anyone know where I can find some?

Perhaps suppliers for car/boat repair?

Grüße,
Heinrich Butschal

--
www.juwelen.online-boerse.org
www.meister-atelier.de
Old September 27th 04, 04:18 AM
Heinrich Butschal

Jim Meier wrote:

Hi folks!
=20
For a while now I've wanted to make some simple little shapes out of=20
plastic, and some google searches have turned up the idea of using an=20
'acrylic resin' (or other sort of plastic resin)
=20
My problem is, I can't find anywhere to purchase the stuff. Most things=

=20
I've read say to find it at hardware stores, but Rona, Co-op and Home=20
Depot all look at me blankly when I ask.
=20
Does anyone know where I can find some?
=20
Thanks,
-Jim

Another idea:

Methymethylacrylate + Acylnitril

and You might make it Yourself :-)

Gr=FC=DFe,
Heinrich Butschal

--=20
Old September 27th 04, 04:25 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:15:32 -0700, in õ Jim Meier wrote:

Hi folks!

For a while now I've wanted to make some simple little shapes out of
plastic, and some google searches have turned up the idea of using an
'acrylic resin' (or other sort of plastic resin)

My problem is, I can't find anywhere to purchase the stuff. Most things
I've read say to find it at hardware stores, but Rona, Co-op and Home
Depot all look at me blankly when I ask.

Does anyone know where I can find some?

Thanks,
-Jim

Craft stores will often carry 'casting resin". Usually, it seems to be a
polyester based resin, rather than a true acrylic. Acrylic, which includes
things like plexiglass, can be cast, but the two parts you mix are a granular
solid and a liquid, and mixed, form a mass somewhat like cement. It requires not
just heating, but pressure, to cast into a transparent form. An autoclave. The
heat helps cure it, and the pressure is needed to compress the bubbles, so you've
got a transparent mass. It can be cured without heat, but that requires more of
the agents that catylize the reaction, and the result is a greater degree of
crazing in the resultant mass. It works for thin sections, but for thicker, if
it's going to cure without cracking, the more neutral mix with heat and pressure
is best. This is normally more of an industrial process, rather than something
easily rigged up by craftspeople. The advantage of acrylics are that they're
more resistant to yellowing over time than polyesters, and have a slightly higher
refrective index, so the're a bit 'brighter" looking. But the polyester casting
resisn sold today are pretty good, and likely will give you fine results. The
resin is similar to those used in fiberglass work, but, so far as I understand,
different ratios of hardener for the thicker cross section. You might be able to
get standard fiberglass resin to work. Not sure. But first try the craft stores
for either "casting resin", or polyester resins. Often sold with the idea of
imbedding things...

Peter
Old September 27th 04, 04:26 AM
Carol

Try hobby stores -- not "hobby lobby," but "genuine" hobby stores. If you
choose to go to the home improvement stores, look for something called
Enviro-Tex. It's not as easy to work with as casting resin, but it's pretty
cool stuff anyway.

Old September 28th 04, 02:53 AM
Jim Meier

Heinrich Butschal wrote:
Jim Meier wrote:

Hi folks!
For a while now I've wanted to make some simple little shapes out of=20
plastic, and some google searches have turned up the idea of using an=20
'acrylic resin' (or other sort of plastic resin)
My problem is, I can't find anywhere to purchase the stuff. Most things=

Thanks,
-Jim

Another idea:

Methymethylacrylate + Acylnitril

and You might make it Yourself :-)

I'll settle for being able to pronounce it myself ..

-Jim
Old October 9th 04, 08:20 PM
Malvolio

"Jim Meier" wrote in message
Hi folks!

For a while now I've wanted to make some simple little shapes out of
plastic, and some google searches have turned up the idea of using an
'acrylic resin' (or other sort of plastic resin)

My problem is, I can't find anywhere to purchase the stuff. Most things
I've read say to find it at hardware stores, but Rona, Co-op and Home
Depot all look at me blankly when I ask.

Does anyone know where I can find some?

Thanks,
-Jim

There's a really good site for acrylic sheet/rod/etc which also includes
polyester casting resin: http://www.delviesplastics.com/casting_resin.htm
This site mentions "school prices" a lot, but I called them and they said
they'll happily sell to anyone. They also have dyes and other helpful things
for use with casting resin. Hope this helps you.

Casting Resin? Kylie Hoschke Beads 0 January 6th 05 06:04 AM
Transparent Acrylic Rod pieces Jim Chasm Beads 0 November 11th 04 07:36 PM
*Plastic* beads? Kyla Beads 5 January 15th 04 01:21 AM
Source for bulk acrylic jewels??? Brother Donald Jewelry 2 December 6th 03 05:25 AM
ACRYLIC JEWELS??? looking for the mother lode Brother Donald Beads 3 December 6th 03 04:58 AM