Update - loose connection found and fixed, and question

Old April 18th 04, 06:19 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Update - loose connection found and fixed, and question

Hi all,
In talking through the problem of the two possible problem splices I
figured out how to isolate which splice was the problem. There was a
bit of exposed tapwire between the splices where the tape went through
a doorway. The tester didn't light up in that spot so that meant the
first splice was the problem (though the second might also be a
problem).

My husband suggested finding a metal plate to put against the splice
(to protect the wallpaper from a direct impact), and then hammering
against the plate. We had a large metal washer, and figuring out
which side had smoother edges, we put the smoother side against the
splice, and he gave it several sharp whacks. That worked, and the
second splice was evidently not a problem, because power was restored
to the upper floor.

Now... are electrical systems always this fiddly, or did I just not do
it right in the first place? Am I going to have to worry that a month
after I donate or sell this thing, that I'm going to get a call
complaning that the electrical isn't working?

What needs to happen to make sure that it stays reliable? Just pound
the eyelets in farther?

Cathy Weeks
Old April 18th 04, 08:07 PM
Herb

Cathy Weeks wrote:

Now... are electrical systems always this fiddly

No. But they certainly can be! I prefer round-wire or a combination of
tape and wire - Round-wire is harder to prepare for and you have less
post-building options, but it's solid and reliable and you don't have as
many junctions, which are the bane of any electrical work.

, or did I just not do
it right in the first place?

Not knowing exactly how you went about it, whether you tested and
retested at every step, how much pressure you applied to the brads or
eyelets, whether you double-connected (an extra brad or two) at key
junctions, etc., it's hard to say. The first time working with tape it's
hard to know what to expect and what to concentrate on.

Am I going to have to worry that a month
after I donate or sell this thing, that I'm going to get a call
complaining that the electrical isn't working?

When you donate or sell ANYTHING there's always the chance that
something doesn't work - if not immediately, then shortly thereafter.
Even if you're a big company - that's why they have to offer warranties
Depending on your wall material and the length of the connectors,
it's possible that jiggling the house as it moves from place to place
could loosen them.

What needs to happen to make sure that it stays reliable? Just pound
the eyelets in farther?

Hard to say - in one place that might be the answer, and in another
(unlikely) they might be TOO tight, and force the insulation into the
connection. I've never used eyelets for the connections, just 1/8"
brass brads either squeezed in or aided by a nail-set. And once or
twice added another brad right through the wallpaper - easily hidden by
furniture, wall hangings, or even a small piece of paper or tape painted
to match the wallpaper.

My BW and I extensively tape-wired our first dollhouse almost 30 years
ago, and it's still going strong. The only electrical problem it's had
was a short when our cat decided he liked the carriage lamps that
flanked the front door enough to chew them off!

- Herb
Old April 19th 04, 11:25 AM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I've had my main house for probably close to 10 years and I haven't had an
electrical problem and I use brads, not eyelets which don't hold as well as
eyelets. However, I've never moved the house. Moving it around might
loosen up some of the eyelets but if they're in tight, I wouldn't worry too
much about it.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old April 19th 04, 03:40 PM
Cathy Weeks

Herb wrote in message ...
Cathy Weeks wrote:

[...]

Well, I didn't test and re-test at every step... I did all the wiring,
and splices with eyelets (it's an MDF house - brads weren't really an
option). And when I was done, I tested the most downstream point - and
the tester lit up just fine. So at that point, all splices were
making contact.

Problems started cropping up when I was installing my coach lights. I
put them up, and they were working, but I realized they were too high
and would be just under the porch roof when it's installed. So, I
took them down, repaired the siding and mounted them again, about an
inch lower.

The first one I re-installed lit up ok...but something seemed
flaky...I flipped the switch, and nothing happened, and then it just
seemed to turn on by itself. I thought I was imagining things, and
installed the second one, which didn't turn on (but the first one
did). So I took it back down and tested it by touching it to the
eyelets in a splice, and it lit up ok, so the problem wasn't in the
fixture. So I reinstalled it again (a total pain in the butt to get
the exposed wires through a tiny hole in the wall - had to wrap them
in a piece of scotch tape), and this time when I turned on the power,
NEITHER one turned on. I started touching splices and the one
directly below the first lamp was just like an on off switch. If I
pressed it the lights turned on, and if I let go, they turned off. So
I pounded the eyelet in more firmly, and that one's been fine since.
Then I put up the wallpaper, and that's when I discovered that the
next splice over was a problem.

I guess I'm starting to agree with Barbara Warner's advice to use
folded turns whenever possible. That, and I'm going to hammer the
eyelets in more firmly in the upper floor, and use the metal washer
trick on all of the downstairs splices.

My BW and I extensively tape-wired our first dollhouse almost 30 years
ago, and it's still going strong. The only electrical problem it's had
was a short when our cat decided he liked the carriage lamps that
flanked the front door enough to chew them off!

What's a BW? I couldn't figure out that abbreviation. :-)

RE Cats - I'm terrified one of them will start chewing on the
wallpaper. Mucilage - and some other adhesives - are made from animal
bones, and cats, if they know about it, like the taste of adhesive.
We have to keep our scotch tape and packing tape in cat-proof boxes,
because they chew it up, swallow bits of it, and then vomit it into
spots perfectly designed for someone to step on barefoot!

Cathy Weeks
Old April 19th 04, 06:07 PM
Herb

Cathy Weeks wrote:

.... snipped ...

Herb wrote:
My BW and I extensively tape-wired our first dollhouse almost 30 years
ago, and it's still going strong. The only electrical problem it's had
was a short when our cat decided he liked the carriage lamps that
flanked the front door enough to chew them off!

What's a BW? I couldn't figure out that abbreviation. :-)

Beautiful Wife. It's NOT an internet creation, but was used by Earl
Wilson in his "Broadway" gossip column for the NY Post and syndication
from the late 30's through the 70's.

RE Cats - I'm terrified one of them will start chewing on the
wallpaper. Mucilage - and some other adhesives - are made from animal
bones, and cats, if they know about it, like the taste of adhesive.
We have to keep our scotch tape and packing tape in cat-proof boxes,
because they chew it up, swallow bits of it, and then vomit it into
spots perfectly designed for someone to step on barefoot!

Yep - been there, done that. They also love the coziness of an open
living room (dollhouse size) - and they can be very clumsy . We have
hanging acrylic panels on all our open houses (keeps some dust out, too)

- Herb
Old April 20th 04, 12:01 AM
Gerald Miller

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:07:09 GMT, Herb wrote:

RE Cats - I'm terrified one of them will start chewing on the
wallpaper. Mucilage - and some other adhesives - are made from animal
bones, and cats, if they know about it, like the taste of adhesive.
We have to keep our scotch tape and packing tape in cat-proof boxes,
because they chew it up, swallow bits of it, and then vomit it into
spots perfectly designed for someone to step on barefoot!

Yep - been there, done that. They also love the coziness of an open
living room (dollhouse size) - and they can be very clumsy . We have
hanging acrylic panels on all our open houses (keeps some dust out, too)

- Herb

Friend of ours hated cats but always kept an open desk top computer
case on his desk for GF's cat to curl up therein.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old April 20th 04, 04:20 AM
Cathy Weeks

Gerald Miller wrote in message . ..

Friend of ours hated cats but always kept an open desk top computer
case on his desk for GF's cat to curl up therein.

Yup. Sounds like a real cat hater. :-)

Cathy Weeks