Need shagging instructions

Old January 19th 05, 02:49 AM
Patty in NWO

I went and took a second look at the webpage he used a 1" seam allowance,
think it would work? I think I'll do it the same way you did it though. The
weed whacker seems a little tooo scary for me Also on the same page is a
diagonal seamed backing formula that I've never seen before if anybody is
interested. Thanks for the info
http://www.flynnquilt.com/freepattern.html

Patty in NWO

"Violet "F'loonslayer" Volfie" wrote in message

"Patty in NWO" wrote in message
I've never done one of these quilts and am hoping to make some for the
nieces and nephews sometime this year. My curiousity is getting the
better
of me. At John Flynn's web site he frays the edges with a weed whacker.

Has
anybody tried this? And if so would there be less fuzz in the lint trap?

That HAS to be a joke. HAS to be. A weed whacker can cut through canvas
shoes AND skin. (Don't ask.) How could he possible control it on a 1/2"
seam allowance on *flannel*?

Patty in NWO ( thinking there's no way that's getting near my quilt,

yikes)
; ) piggy-backing here as I've lost original post

There wasn't that much lint in the lint trap today. I shook the quilt
outside before I put it in the drier and then I tried to check it every
10-20 minutes or so (and shake it outside again and again) until it was
dry.
I think most of the lint must have gone down the washer pipes. I hope the
man of the house was correct in saying there is no lint trap in the washer
or there is one big ol' mess of red, white and blue threads in there.

Giselle (and when I was done I wiped my fingerprints off every available
surface and left no sign of my presence within

Old January 19th 05, 04:32 AM
DrQuilter

mmmm my mum probably wouldn't have any problem with it either....

georg wrote:

She is stating in a very subtle way, I think, that since the majority of
the group is in the over 40 crowd, the general preference of the group
is try not to put anything out there that you won't mind yer mum reading.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old January 19th 05, 04:36 AM
DrQuilter

I went to a british school back home. when I moved to the States I had
to get used to not say 'rubber' and learn to use the american word
'eraser' instead because everybody would giggle at lab... however, it is
OK to say rubber ducky and nobody would think condom, so go figure! )

Sally Swindells wrote:

There are so many words from both sides of the Atlantic which are
normal for one side and 'rude' for the other, that I think we just
have to be adult about it - there are probably ones we don't even know
and we could be offending at every stroke of the keyboard. Had friends
who emigrated to Califoria and to begin with they were always
unknowlingly embarrassing people, and it got very awkward when they
had to explain to their children that there were everyday names for
objects that they must not use anymore.

Old January 19th 05, 08:58 AM
Dee in Oz

Down under they were often cooked with the Sunday Roast, not so much
now with the 'modern roast'

Dee in Oz

Old January 19th 05, 11:16 AM
Johanna Gibson

On 19 Jan 2005 00:58:00 -0800, "Dee in Oz"
wrote:

Down under they were often cooked with the Sunday Roast, not so much
now with the 'modern roast'

Dee in Oz

What is a 'modern roast'?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 19th 05, 11:16 AM
georg

Violet "F'loonslayer" Volfie wrote:

Pennsic as in "SCA Pennsic" or do you mean something else?

Giselle (I had some highly smoked haggis once that went wonderful with the
whiskey -- there are ways to eat haggis and then there are the RIGHT ways to
eat haggis. Drunk is good, too.)

Yes'm. I live about 6 hours from Pennsic, and would still go every year
if it weren't for the fact they tore down the flushies by my camp. I'm
allergic to Portajohns- have to hold my breath while walking past one,
or I'll get ill. I have found the perfect period solution, but still
need more research about how to make it viable in a modern world. Last
time I went they closed the Barn's flushies too, so I had to come home.

-georg
Old January 19th 05, 11:20 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:36:03 -0800, DrQuilter
wrote:

I went to a british school back home. when I moved to the States I had
to get used to not say 'rubber' and learn to use the american word
'eraser' instead because everybody would giggle at lab... however, it is
OK to say rubber ducky and nobody would think condom, so go figure! )

Maybe the youth is getting "Americanized" here, but I never hear a
person under say, 30, say "rubber" to mean eraser. I hear them say
"eraser". I think they know very well that it means something else in
the US, what with all the US television programs.
I think perhaps the word Sally is referring to is "toilet". You can
ask where the toilet is here, and all is well. You would not ask
where the bathroom is, because you will be shown a small room
containing a tub, and a sink if you are lucky, but quite possibly
lacking a toilet. If you ask for the bathroom, people will assume you
want a bath. However, there seems to be some problem with asking
where the toilet is in the US (is it rude, or is it shocking? because
people stare at me when I ask this now)... and you have to use an
evasive way to ask; "bathroom" and "restroom" spring to mind. Hmm. I
usually don't need a bath or a rest when I'm out in public.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 19th 05, 11:28 AM
Hanne Gottliebsen

Johanna Gibson wrote:
I think perhaps the word Sally is referring to is "toilet". You can
ask where the toilet is here, and all is well. You would not ask
where the bathroom is, because you will be shown a small room
containing a tub, and a sink if you are lucky, but quite possibly
lacking a toilet. If you ask for the bathroom, people will assume you
want a bath. However, there seems to be some problem with asking
where the toilet is in the US (is it rude, or is it shocking? because
people stare at me when I ask this now)... and you have to use an
evasive way to ask; "bathroom" and "restroom" spring to mind. Hmm. I
usually don't need a bath or a rest when I'm out in public.

This is scary, I lived in the US for 2.5 years, and after 1 year back in
the UK, I still have trouble asking for the "toilet". I keep wanting to
say "restroom", and well, I cringe somewhat (on the inside only) when I
realise it is not going to work over here.

But in my experience lots of guys in the US would ask for "the little
boys' room". Of course a (US) friend once said she'd go "shake the dew
of her lily pad" - I think we were still laughing when she returned.

Now, if someone could explain to me why Americans call it "aluminum"
when lots of other countries (UK included) call is "aluminium", I'd be
pretty happy!

Hanne in London
(Originally from Denmark, via Wales, Scotland and Virginia)

Old January 19th 05, 12:54 PM
Hanne Gottliebsen

In Danish "chick" as in good looking girl is "steg", the word normally
used for a roast.

You guys make me laugh!

Hanne in London