Need shagging instructions

Old January 19th 05, 12:34 AM
Julia Altshuler

Sally Swindells wrote:

There are so many words from both sides of the Atlantic which are
normal for one side and 'rude' for the other, that I think we just
have to be adult about it - there are probably ones we don't even know
and we could be offending at every stroke of the keyboard. Had friends
who emigrated to Califoria and to begin with they were always
unknowingly embarrassing people, and it got very awkward when they
had to explain to their children that there were everyday names for
objects that they must not use anymore.

Tease! We're word lovers. You have to tell us the double meanings of
words for everyday objects so we can get in on the joke.

--Lia

Old January 19th 05, 12:41 AM
KJ

Neeps?? Is this something that would change DD's mind about doing her
student teaching in Scotland?

"Johanna Gibson" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:11:49 -0500, "Violet \"F'loonslayer\" Volfie"
wrote:

I got a laugh out of the subject line. That and the "I could hide
my own Easter eggs" are the best 2 I've seen in a long while.

-- Jo in Scotland

Oh, that explains it. Scots have naughty senses of humor. Anyone who

eats
haggis has to.

Giselle - 50% Scots but American by birth and, yes, I eat haggis. With
lots of whiskey. And 'taters and 'neeps. Then more whiskey.

I emigrated here. Officially I'm American, and English/Irish/Welsh
by descent - no Scottish in the family tree sadly!
I only eat haggis at gunpoint. And I hate neeps. I could learn to
like whiskey, if I had more practice.

-- Jo in Scotland

Old January 19th 05, 12:52 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:41:53 GMT, "KJ"
wrote:

Neeps?? Is this something that would change DD's mind about doing her
student teaching in Scotland?

It's short for "turnip", and you can buy turnips here - about the
size of a tennis ball with a purple end.
However, what most folks in Scotland mean when they say "neep" is
not really a turnip but a swede - the size of a small cabbage - what
we called rutabaga when I was growing up in Oregon. This by the way,
is what is traditionally carved at Halloween in Scotland (not
pumpkins).
Confused yet? I hate both turnips and swede, so I'm safe. No need
to translate to clarify which one I like, since I think they're both
fit for cattle. Everyone else here loves them, so I leave them in the
store for those folks....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 19th 05, 12:58 AM
KJ

I see. I've never tried tunips or rutabagas. Not adventurous I guess. My
mother used to make turnips and parsnips once in a while, but she never
forced us to eat them. I didn't like the smell, why would I eat one? Ugh.
I'll let DD know what they are if she goes.
KJ

Old January 19th 05, 01:08 AM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

"KJ" wrote in message
I see. I've never tried tunips or rutabagas. Not adventurous I guess.

My
mother used to make turnips and parsnips once in a while, but she never
forced us to eat them. I didn't like the smell, why would I eat one?

Ugh.
I'll let DD know what they are if she goes.
KJ

I love raw rutabaga. It's sort of sweet and crunchy. Good diet food. You
can pretty well eat it all day and not worry about calories. I just eat it
because I like it, tho'. I must be the only person in Indiana who buys it,
though, because they never know what it is when I get to the cash register.

When served with haggis everything is mashed up so I mix about a 1/3 fork
load of all three, chew, swallow and follow with a wee dram. Yum.

What's your daughter doing in school? Is she in Edinburgh? I *love*
Edinburgh. And, hey, I got within a few feet of Mick Jagger there, too.

Giselle

Old January 19th 05, 02:13 AM
Patty in NWO

I've never done one of these quilts and am hoping to make some for the
nieces and nephews sometime this year. My curiousity is getting the better
of me. At John Flynn's web site he frays the edges with a weed whacker. Has
anybody tried this? And if so would there be less fuzz in the lint trap?

Patty in NWO ( thinking there's no way that's getting near my quilt, yikes)
; ) piggy-backing here as I've lost original post

"Violet "F'loonslayer" Volfie" wrote in message

"Judy W" wrote in message
nk.net...
I made myself one and all my kids loved it. I ended up making them all

one.
(a total of 4) I didn't have a problem with the washer or dryer. If
your
worried about it, take it to a laundry mat. I love the quilts, they are

nice
to cuddle up in on a cold night.

.......snipped

Old January 19th 05, 02:14 AM
nana2b

The only time I have ever eaten Parsnips is in the chicken soup recipe
passed from DGM to DSM to me. After they are cooked with carrots, onion and
all the other bits they are so sweet. Just love 'em, Linda

Old January 19th 05, 02:32 AM
georg

Violet "F'loonslayer" Volfie wrote:
I love raw rutabaga. It's sort of sweet and crunchy. Good diet food. You
can pretty well eat it all day and not worry about calories. I just eat it
because I like it, tho'. I must be the only person in Indiana who buys it,
though, because they never know what it is when I get to the cash register.

I like turnips armored. That means sort of like au gratin, but with some
cinnamon on top. I have served them to people who assumed it was taters,
and they were only surprised by the cinnamon. Otherwise, taste was about
the same.

When served with haggis everything is mashed up so I mix about a 1/3 fork
load of all three, chew, swallow and follow with a wee dram. Yum.

I can honestly say the only time I've ever had haggis was while I was
drinking (a couple of years in a row at Pennsic). So I don't know if I
would have it sober- I've never been given that option.

Blood pudding I did have- and loved it. For breakfast even.

-georg
Old January 19th 05, 02:36 AM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

"Patty in NWO" wrote in message
I've never done one of these quilts and am hoping to make some for the
nieces and nephews sometime this year. My curiousity is getting the better
of me. At John Flynn's web site he frays the edges with a weed whacker.

Has
anybody tried this? And if so would there be less fuzz in the lint trap?

That HAS to be a joke. HAS to be. A weed whacker can cut through canvas
shoes AND skin. (Don't ask.) How could he possible control it on a 1/2"
seam allowance on *flannel*?

Patty in NWO ( thinking there's no way that's getting near my quilt,

yikes)
; ) piggy-backing here as I've lost original post

There wasn't that much lint in the lint trap today. I shook the quilt
outside before I put it in the drier and then I tried to check it every
10-20 minutes or so (and shake it outside again and again) until it was dry.
I think most of the lint must have gone down the washer pipes. I hope the
man of the house was correct in saying there is no lint trap in the washer
or there is one big ol' mess of red, white and blue threads in there.

Giselle (and when I was done I wiped my fingerprints off every available
surface and left no sign of my presence within

Old January 19th 05, 02:41 AM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

"georg" wrote in message
news
[...]

Pennsic as in "SCA Pennsic" or do you mean something else?

Giselle (I had some highly smoked haggis once that went wonderful with the
whiskey -- there are ways to eat haggis and then there are the RIGHT ways to
eat haggis. Drunk is good, too.)