Need shagging instructions

Old January 18th 05, 10:52 AM
Shirley Shone

Well I had a giggle and thought why should you need instructions for
doing what come naturally. I know I have got a naughty mind. LOL
Shirley

In message , Mel Rimmer
writes

"Violet "F'loonslayer" Volfie" wrote in message

"SunnyQuilt" wrote in message
When I read your Subject line I thought you meant you wanted to learn how

to do
The Shag, a dance done to beach music in the Carolinas!

SunnyQuilt

That's okay, when I saw it I thought our UK cousins where going to have a
real hoot over it.

That's all right. I just assumed it was something to do with S.E.X.

Mel in Cheshire, England

--
Shirley Shone
Old January 18th 05, 11:20 AM
Kate Dicey

Jalynne wrote:

I've most commonly seen them as rag or ragg quilts. I didn't see anything wrong with
your subject line, though it gave me a giggle.

Same here! Made me think Ooer! for a second, but I knew what you really
meant.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 18th 05, 04:09 PM
Anne

I used 1" seams, clipped as close together as my poor hands could manage
(1/2"-5/8" or so), washed it twice and gave it away to DS's GF. She is a
lovely polite young lady who would never complain if her new quilt
wouldn't stop shedding. Must ask next time I see her.

note to Giselle -- my post about Brit English did have the tongue
sticking out smiley face, indicating not to take me too seriously. Got a
flashback on Austin Powers, thats all ;-)

Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

Violet "F'loonslayer" Volfie wrote:

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
ink.net...

This may be just as impossible as herding cats - but could we get back to
the question? She asked how long it took before the flannel quit

shedding.

I've seen some very cuddly, soft, lovely raggedy flannel quilts. It just

was

not meant to be with mine. It has been just a few weeks since I lost the
flannel battle and no one here stepped forward with surefire successful
guidance. Polly

How long were the ends that you clipped before you fuzzed them up? (I'm
going to try and never say that s-word again even though that's what *I*
call it. Gads.)

I was wondering if the fringes were too long if it took longer for them to
shred off? Maybe they should only be 1/2" long or so? Mine are 1".

Giselle - always on the edge of controversy even when I'm being GOOD

Old January 18th 05, 04:16 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Shag rugs: not here, thanks.
Making a shag rug? god, whatever for?!!? G
I like my washing machine too much to try to shag a rug at home.
I can do the shag, and the pony, the locomotion, mash potato,
the watusi, the swim, and of course, the twist.
I don't chicken dance, tho', I have a little self-respect. G

For those who are easily or somewhat offended by the subject line,
any subject line, let them move the mouse; the subject line should
indicate the subject being discussed (check out the way off-topic
posts under the subject line for on-line quilt shops), so that the
viewer/reader can choose to Read this or Don't Read this.

Fewer rules, more time for quilting.

Ragmop/Sandy--liberal w/ liberal use of words ;-D

"georg" wrote in message
news
Violet "F'loonslayer" Volfie wrote:

"Anne" wrote in message

Gentle reminder: this is an international group and some folks speak
Brit English :-P

Read on -- I remembered when I saw my own subject line.

Giselle

She is stating in a very subtle way, I think, that since the majority of
the group is in the over 40 crowd, the general preference of the group is
try not to put anything out there that you won't mind yer mum reading.

My mum wouldn't understand the reference and would have to ask my da.
Same woman who did not understand why my birthday was so funny. (1/4/69)

A certain amout of "in yer faceness" is welcome and fresh, and I
personally love your enthusiasm. However, you are on the edge of offending
some of those with more delicate sensibilities, so be wary. You may offend
without meaning to. I think that if you do, anyone who finds offense can
always make a filter.

I have seen and personally said worse here though, and I've braved flame
groups myself. Feel free to email me for more clarification, or if you
would like to take me to task for this post.

-georg

Old January 18th 05, 04:45 PM
Diana Curtis

Liberal Texan. Isnt that one of those oxymorons? Just checking.
Diana, moving the mouse again......

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 18th 05, 04:59 PM
KI Graham

oh dear...here in Canada, you could get your fabric for this quilt at
Fanny's Fabrics...which also makes some of our friends elsewhere s******
like grade 6 school girls. [Is that the folks down under? can't remember.]

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old January 18th 05, 05:25 PM
Judy W

I made myself one and all my kids loved it. I ended up making them all one.
(a total of 4) I didn't have a problem with the washer or dryer. If your
worried about it, take it to a laundry mat. I love the quilts, they are nice
to cuddle up in on a cold night.

"Violet "F'loonslayer" Volfie" wrote in message
Okay, I finally finished one of my UFOs and I'm sitting here cutting the
fringe into a flannel shag quilt. Do I remember these nexts steps right?

1.) Wash it
2.) Dry it a little, shake it out outside, clean the lint trap repeat

every
15 minutes until shagged as desired.

?

Giselle (that's IT? )

Old January 18th 05, 06:58 PM
Pat in Virginia

Well, you haven't' mentioned hair styles! Ever have the
Shag haircut? I always connect it with Florence
Henderson and the Brady Bunch.
When I was in UK I never did anything I couldn't tell
Mom, but I guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

PAT in VA/USA

Polly Esther wrote:
Trying to stay on topic - but it seems there are at least three going now. I
have never danced to Beach music in the Carolinas, have never done anything
I couldn't tell my mother about in the UK and don't remember how wide the
seam allowance was in my flannel quilt. There. Did I cover all the bases?
Polly

Old January 18th 05, 08:55 PM
Sally Swindells

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:59:57 -0500, "Violet \"F'loonslayer\" Volfie"
wrote:

"georg" wrote in message

About 30 years ago shag pile carpets (long pile - impossible to keep
clean) were very fashionable. However, you weren't supposed to know
the other meaning, so people just said it quickly and hoped their
teenagers wouldn't giggle.

There are so many words from both sides of the Atlantic which are
normal for one side and 'rude' for the other, that I think we just
have to be adult about it - there are probably ones we don't even know
and we could be offending at every stroke of the keyboard. Had friends
who emigrated to Califoria and to begin with they were always
unknowlingly embarrassing people, and it got very awkward when they
had to explain to their children that there were everyday names for
objects that they must not use anymore.

Sally

Of course you are interpreting the word by the UK meaning. I meant it as I
would use it in the US. It wasn't until I saw the subject line that I
realized that the meaning to me wouldn't be the same meaning in the UK or
elsewhere. Since it is an international group of adults, I still figured
that most would think it is something that got jumbled in translation, not a
rude subject line.

BTW, what DO you call these quilts in the UK? We call them shag here. I'll
change the subject line so this discussion can die but, really, I meant no
offense. That's REALLY what we call it.

Giselle

Old January 18th 05, 08:57 PM
Johanna Gibson

wrote:

Of course you are interpreting the word by the UK meaning. I meant it as I
would use it in the US. It wasn't until I saw the subject line that I
realized that the meaning to me wouldn't be the same meaning in the UK or
elsewhere. Since it is an international group of adults, I still figured
that most would think it is something that got jumbled in translation, not a
rude subject line.

BTW, what DO you call these quilts in the UK? We call them shag here. I'll
change the subject line so this discussion can die but, really, I meant no
offense. That's REALLY what we call it.

Giselle

I got a laugh out of the subject line. That and the "I could hide
my own Easter eggs" are the best 2 I've seen in a long while.

-- Jo in Scotland