Preventing warping?

Old August 1st 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

Default Preventing warping?

"DKat" wrote in message
Are you sure about that? I swear I just saw a truck load of the stuff
recently on the drive through that area. Maybe it was farther south... I
even saw a place that looked way too much like Home Depot (but named
something else).

Ahh - so you get it from M-Park or Coop Bau und Hobby?

Anyway...

You want something stiff (won't bend since clay has a memory) but that is
light enough that you can sandwich the tiles between the 'boards' to flip
them over so each side gets dry in equal measure.

I have had a bit better luck sandwiching the tiles between two wooden bats
and flipping as you have suggested :-)

This thread was just posted on Clayart and what I read that most stood out
for me was waxing the edges (sides not top or bottom) of the tiles since
that is where things dry out too quickly relative to the rest of the tile.

I'm not really wanting to use wax, as in my teeny workshop, I don't want to
muck around with melting it and so forth. Though maybe I can just put strips
of plastic around the edges and stroke them on to seal.

I think my new drying shelves are helping lots as well. Hubby made them and
they are just a frame with the shelf itselv made of stretch-wire - kind of
like the see-through walking surface some smaller bridges have - so that the
ware also dries from underneath. Before I set ware on the drying shelves,
though, I let it dry on a bat covered with plastic which I air out a bit
when I am in my workshop - and sometimes I turn it upside down (on a bit of
foam rubber, if the edges are uneven) on the bat as well. When it is
properly leather hard, I set it on the drying shelf.

Good luck!

Thanks! :-)

Marianne

Old August 1st 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

The wax I'm talking about is not what you melt.
http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/resists.htm
It is called wax resist, is water soluable and easy to use.

Old August 2nd 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"DKat" wrote in message
The wax I'm talking about is not what you melt.
http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Supplies/resists.htm
It is called wax resist, is water soluable and easy to use.

Okay - will have a look at my dealer's place

Thanks!

Marianne