Modern, stylish design for sewing machine

Old December 5th 07, 06:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anastasia Luettecke

Default Modern, stylish design for sewing machine

Since we're making tinyurls taboo for a bit, I hope you won't have to paste
this one together to get the

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_cu...ine_8124.a sp

While it's kind of sleek looking, I'd still want a bigger throat.
Interesting, though!

Anastasia
--who's ALMOST done with the semester....and barely keeping her sanity.

Old December 5th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Very interesting.Pity that you have to thread the needle though.Its my pet
hate!!
--
Estelle UK
Gallagher one one at btinternet.com

You are never too old to become the person you should have been!
My photos are here!
http://community.webshots.com/user/EstelleUK11

Old December 5th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I LOVE the design, but it looks a bit top heavy? I'd have concerns about
dragging a large quilt top thru it. I hope someone picks up on this idea-
the sm industry is about due for a shake up and going beyond the basic shape
that's been around for a couple hundred years! I'm glad cars haven't been
that slow to evolve!

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 5th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_cu...ur_grandmother...

While it's kind of sleek looking, I'd still want a bigger throat.
Interesting, though!

Anastasia
--who's ALMOST done with the semester....and barely keeping her sanity.

The design looks tipsy. Large overhead weight bearing down on smaller
round shouldered base. This baby is sure to fall over every time you
use it. Unless the bottom of the machine is made out of lead and the
top is all plastic. No thanks.
John
Old December 5th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative

From what I can tell, it's more of a design "contest" or "assignment"
(having done more than my fair share during my education and career) than
actually showcasing a future product. Consider this machine to be no more
than a portfolio entry. In fact, I'd be VERY surprised if the designer in
question (just from what I'm seeing) has even ever touched on Human Factors
Design!!!

(HFD is a bit obscure, I think, so to explain, it's the discipline of
designing for human use - safety, ergonomics, etc, are part of this
discipline)

While I agree that a lot of the machines that are on the market are uglier
than my first quilt, I think there's a reason they lack "style" -
manufacturers preferring function over form. Hubby does a lot of industrial
design in his job (though, not for sewing machines - he does it for "boats")
and I've witnessed first hand what happens when you sacrifice function for
form.

For one, you have a thing called "convention" ... people are used to using
machines in a certain way - and although innovations are nice, you have to
keep the basic method of use that people are comfy with (called
"usability") in mind. This SM isn't doing that. I see more problems than the
"coolness" factor is worth!!!

So here's a question: what function on your SM would you be willing to
sacrifice for a bit more style? Why? What would you fight like a wet cat to
keep?

Hugs!!
Connie
(Sorry for the rant ... I have a background in HFD, so I get a bit irate
whenever I see "form superceding function!!")

"Anastasia Luettecke" wrote in message
Since we're making tinyurls taboo for a bit, I hope you won't have to

paste
this one together to get the

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_cu...dmothers_sewin
g_machine_8124.asp

Old December 5th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative

True, but there's a reason that sewing machines haven't evolved as quickly
.... with a car, you do have more "dead space" that you can design features
into. Plus, since it IS a bigger machine, it's loads easier to change the
overall shape - where you "subtract" some areas, you can "add" elsewhere.

Chances are, the present sewing machine form factor is here to stay ... at
least until materials and manufacturing processes change/progress enough
that the form value can evolve with it. Also, I don't think that the big SM
manufacturers make as much profit as the big car builders ... so I don't
think the freedom or incentive is there to improve the style.

Hugs!!
Connie

Old December 5th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

There you are! I was wondering what happened to you--and POP you're here
Go fondle some fabric whilst doing your homework...sacrifice a piece if you
have to...kinda like a 'security blanket'...if your doing something ANYTHING
with fabric it'll keep you calmer and your sanity longer.

Shouldn't you be getting a break pretty soon?

Butterfly (who is so glad this household is DONE with school.: classes.
finals. dissertations. etc)

Old December 5th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anastasia Luettecke

Default Now OT; was: Modern, stylish design for sewing machine

"Butterflywings" said:
There you are! I was wondering what happened to you--and POP you're here

Go fondle some fabric whilst doing your homework...sacrifice a piece if
you have to...kinda like a 'security blanket'...if your doing something
ANYTHING with fabric it'll keep you calmer and your sanity longer.

Shouldn't you be getting a break pretty soon?

So I'm sayin':

Yep. We're done the 14th. It's utter craziness here now, though. I
haven't had time to even look at my husband lately, let alone fondle fabric
or yarn or find my sewing machine under all the books and papers.

And I don't think I've been calm in about three months.

Anastasia

--who's off to Anglo Saxon Language right now. Waes seo tid cumen!

AD: Is this Stylish? Want Opinions... JewelryArtist Beads 5 April 15th 07 02:39 PM
Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
Is ths a good deal? Grace Quilting Sewing Frame +Janome 1600 Sewing Machine bobbi Quilting 12 December 8th 06 09:18 PM
Looking for jewelry with modern design. Luc Wallays Jewelry 0 February 20th 05 05:03 PM
Modern sewing machine frood Quilting 4 November 13th 03 04:29 PM