Itty bitty bits.. getting rid of them

Old June 20th 05, 03:13 AM
FurrsomeFoursome

Default Itty bitty bits.. getting rid of them

Does/can anyone use REALLY little scraps?

I have a major conflict in my mental state right now, in that I am
generally a vehement anti-packrat, but I cannot in good conscience
throw out textile items of any quality above that of dryer lint.

Hence I now have a couple of gallons of bits from various projects,
which I realistically will NOT use. "Bits" being say, 2" square
(though usually not entirely square)or smaller, or thin strips, the
corners of flying geese pieces, wonky leftovers from fussy-cutting,
etc. Things that might be useful for collage, for miniatures, etc.

Would any one or few of you like a heapful? It probably doesn't
qualify exactly as a "squishy" but if you're into minis it might in
trigue. I'll ship out as much as I can send for a reasonable rate - I
think that would be between a well-stuffed lettermail and a
well-stuffed bubble mailer package depending on how far you are.

Mail me off-list if interested. I need to empty out at least the
Tupperware turkey-bin as Mom might want it back next holiday dinner she
does.

(Panda's) Johanna, drowning in scraps...

Old June 20th 05, 11:22 AM
Johanna Gibson

On 19 Jun 2005 19:13:35 -0700, "FurrsomeFoursome"
wrote:

[...]

I use them! I use anything smaller than 1.5" square (I collect 1.5"
squares for a postage stamp quilt but need about one million before I
can proceed with a quilt). What I do is toss thread snippets, trimmed
triangle corners, and small scraps into an old pillowcase or a
pillowcase I've made and only sewn on 3 sides. When it is full
enough, I sew it shut and voila! A pet bed. Or students like them
for sitting on the floor or couch, rather like a bean bag. I've made
about 4 or 5 of them so far, and everyone has been happy with them.
For the pet ones, I make a washable cover, since something so full of
scrap material would be impossible to launder.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old June 20th 05, 01:00 PM
Roberta Zollner

I use everything down to about 3/4" strips, although 1.5" is a more useful
size :-)
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

ups.com...

Old June 20th 05, 02:17 PM
Bobbie Sews Moore

I use the small scraps as stuffing in small ( 10" X 12")throw pillows for
the couch. These pillows are firm and also feel good to use in the car.
Barbara in SC

Old June 20th 05, 04:24 PM
FurrsomeFoursome

Pet Bed! Hmmm....

Okay, that's one idea. I did have someone ask for some.. maybe I'll
send of envelopes of the big-enough-to-use bits, but I hadn't thought
of stuffing pet beds with them. Since I HAVE made kitty-quilts to
encourage my QI's to sit on their own things instead of my stash, this
might be an idea.

Off on a tangent ... Blue, the teeniest but loudest QI, will NOT leave
me alone when I am working at my desk. But she is a smart little
Meezer. I put one of my "free motion practice squares", with a serged
edge, in a wicker file tray for her. She now knows perfectly well
that if she wants to "work" with me, she has to stay on her little
quilt, AND SHE DOES. No more sitting in front of the monitor or
pestering me climbing all over my lap and keyboard. This is a good
thing, as I occasionally work at home and am trying to encourage
management to let me do more of it.

Johanna of the scraps...

Old June 21st 05, 06:41 AM
DrQuilter

I do the same... but I have a basket under my cutting area where all
that is too small is swept into. they are kind of shapeless and heavy,
but pet and kids don't seem to mind too much...

Jo, do you find yourself 'rescuing' marginally fragment bits from the -
in my case- basket?

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old June 21st 05, 03:04 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

You have voiced my vice (obsession) and I am in forced rehab after an
intervention by my son - I force my hand to go to the trash bin and shake it
vigorously then pry the fingers open and weep as the poor little scrap falls
into the bin - a cathartic experience.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old June 21st 05, 03:16 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:41:39 -0700, DrQuilter
wrote:

I do the same... but I have a basket under my cutting area where all
that is too small is swept into. they are kind of shapeless and heavy,
but pet and kids don't seem to mind too much...

Jo, do you find yourself 'rescuing' marginally fragment bits from the -
in my case- basket?

Yes! If the bits are stripey or have stars, it's rather painful to
put them in the "stuffing bits" bag. I then rescue them for
bookmarks!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old June 21st 05, 03:19 PM
Taria

we are here to support you snigs VBG
Taria

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
You have voiced my vice (obsession) and I am in forced rehab after an
intervention by my son - I force my hand to go to the trash bin and shake it
vigorously then pry the fingers open and weep as the poor little scrap falls
into the bin - a cathartic experience.

Arrghhhh! Itty Bitty Beads! Nooooooooo =) Polly S. Beads 14 February 27th 05 01:57 PM
itty bitty treasure boxes Amber Beads 15 November 12th 04 12:19 AM
diamond bits..who is giving great deals on the small bits Boner the Cat Glass 4 January 15th 04 08:15 PM
itty bitty beads Sandra White Beads 8 November 3rd 03 02:39 AM