UGHHH Guild Meeting

Old February 11th 05, 11:33 PM
Debbi

Default UGHHH Guild Meeting

Last night was our guild meeting. We had an amazing turnout since our
speaker was Marti Michell. Unfortunately, a lot of us left during the talk
because is was strictly an infomercial for all of her templates. Talk about
a let down! She made a lot of sales, we are not a tiny guild (500 members,
at least 250 were in attendence), so there was no reason for the entire talk
tko be a sales pitch.

Debbi in SO CA

Old February 11th 05, 11:50 PM
taria

As prices for speakers go up the presentations seem to go down.
We've had several similar situations in our little guild.
Just curious what she charged to come and sell you her products?
Taria

Old February 12th 05, 03:11 AM
Mystified One

Wouldn't have been so bad if you'd gotten some insight at the time. I have
a couple of her books, but I hate selling pressure. For me, if there' s a
technique that goes with the item, I'm more inclined to buy it.

Old February 12th 05, 05:33 AM
Debbi

I have no idea what we paid her. We have a really nice budget to get some
great speakers. Not only did we pay for her to come, we feed her, put her up
in the hotel and then charge $30 a person for those who take her workshop
the next day. Speakers arrive on Wednesday and we put them up until Saturday
in most cases and until Sunday if they offer a Saturday workshop too.

Most of our speakers bring books and products to sell before the meeting and
during the break. This was the most blatant I had ever seen during the talk.

Debbi in SO CA

Old February 12th 05, 05:38 AM
Polly Esther

Gee, what a disappointment. You could have stayed home and watched
commercials in your grubby tee and baggy pants. I would have been totally
hacked. Marti is capable of better. Shame on her. Polly

"Debbi" wrote Last night was our guild meeting. We had an amazing

Old February 12th 05, 05:41 AM
nana2b

Hi Debbi, Do other members feel the same way? Maybe at a Guild business
meeting the subject of speakers can be addressed. Voice your observations
and opinions. You couldn't be the only one who felt this way. It would be
interesting to see what the consensus on this is. I don't mind learning
about new tools and toys especially when they work with the technique being
shown, but not the other way around. Let us know what happens with this.
Hugs, Linda

Old February 12th 05, 07:31 AM
Sharon Harper

I've often wondered if other "famous" quilters read this group like Our
Carol does. They could learn a lot I think. Like come down to Australia
more often please - we are quite a civilised country you know. There are
only koalas every five blocks, not on every street corner like most people
think. And the convicts died out ages ago. LOL

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under

ink.net...

Old February 12th 05, 01:50 PM
KathyB in West Oz

and most people go to work on a kangaroo and living in the outback like I do
we have dingoes for pets and kangaroos to ride into town.
--
Kathy B in West Oz

http://community.webshots.com/user/kazzxie51

u...

Old February 12th 05, 02:38 PM
Diana Curtis

Do you get to hear talks from your own famous quilters? From what I have
seen in the Australian quilt magazines you arent lacking in talented and
innovative quilters. (can I have a couple of them, please?)
Diana

--
- insert pithy siggy line here-

Old February 12th 05, 09:44 PM
Sharon Harper

Actually I didn't discover we had famous quilters until recently and really
Margaret Rolfe would be the only one I could really name. Since most of our
magazines seem to be filed with adverts for the goods/services from the USA
I just "know" them better. Does that make sense? I guess also not being in
a guild/quilting group doesn't help but there really isn't much in the way
of those locally.

--
Sharon from Melbourne Australia
Queen of Down Under