I need Roofing Advice

Old December 1st 03, 07:06 PM
David

Default I need Roofing Advice

I was wondering how to stain these little pices of wood. I have tried
dipping, and brushing, It takes forever to do a few, and need to do
1000. Also what kind of glue do I use to put them on. Can these be
purchased already stained?
Thanks.
David
Old December 1st 03, 07:18 PM
Carol

"David" wrote in message
om...
I was wondering how to stain these little pices of wood. I have tried
dipping, and brushing, It takes forever to do a few, and need to do
1000. Also what kind of glue do I use to put them on. Can these be
purchased already stained?
Thanks.
David

Get 2 pans. Fill one with shingle dye (or stain), put in a bunch of
shingles, let sit a few minutes but stir to make sure that all sides get
stained, pour off the extra stain into the other pan, spread out the
shingles on paper towels to dry. They dry fairly quickly. Reuse the stain
in the pan. I waited until nice weather and did it outside.

For putting on the shingles there used to be a product called Quick Grab
which is no longer available but there is a new product called Quick Grip
which is supposed to be the same. I have some in stock and you can contact
me through my website. I don't want to give out my email addy on this board
because of spammers. You put the glue on in a line on the roof and then put
the shingles on. Dries very quickly.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old December 1st 03, 08:28 PM
DASminis

Hi,

If you make the pans those disposable pie tins, you can punch holes in one and
use as a strainer to lift the shingles in and out of the dye in batches... Not
my original idea, but I plan to use it when I next do shingles!

Debbie

Old December 1st 03, 08:38 PM
Carol

"DASminis" wrote in message
Hi,

If you make the pans those disposable pie tins, you can punch holes in

one and
use as a strainer to lift the shingles in and out of the dye in batches...

Not
my original idea, but I plan to use it when I next do shingles!

Debbie

Good idea! David has a lot of shingles so maybe he can use a disposable
roasting pan.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old December 2nd 03, 01:02 AM
Retiredff

David wrote:
I was wondering how to stain these little pices of wood. I have tried
dipping, and brushing, It takes forever to do a few, and need to do
1000. Also what kind of glue do I use to put them on. Can these be
purchased already stained?
Thanks.
David

Unless you can find some kind if spray stain, you might just have to invest
in the time. Luckily, mine were redwood, so it was au natural.

As for gluing them on, I decided to try a hot glue gun. Bought a miniature
one. It went a heck of a lot faster then using wood or craft glue.

Old December 2nd 03, 01:31 AM
Grandpa

Retiredff wrote:
David wrote:

I was wondering how to stain these little pices of wood. I have tried
dipping, and brushing, It takes forever to do a few, and need to do
1000. Also what kind of glue do I use to put them on. Can these be
purchased already stained?
Thanks.
David

Unless you can find some kind if spray stain, you might just have to invest
in the time. Luckily, mine were redwood, so it was au natural.

As for gluing them on, I decided to try a hot glue gun. Bought a miniature
one. It went a heck of a lot faster then using wood or craft glue.

If one crosscuts a hunk of 1x redwood to the right lengths, they'll
split off with a jack knife easily. And as you said, a glue gun.
Shoot, you can get them at WalMart for $2 and they work very well.

Old December 2nd 03, 03:45 AM
Carol

"Retiredff" wrote in message
k.net...

As for gluing them on, I decided to try a hot glue gun. Bought a miniature
one. It went a heck of a lot faster then using wood or craft glue.

A hot glue gun may be faster but the experience of everyone who has used
them is that the glue does not hold up with time. The dollhouses I've seen
in the worst condition had hot glue used on them. I have put together many
houses (some of which have been in a magazine) and I don't own a hot glue
gun.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old December 2nd 03, 10:57 PM
Denise

I used regular wood glue to put my shingles on. Then I used a brush to
stain them. Worked fine :-)

You can check out my doll house roof at:

http://community-2.webtv.net/mtcdrc3...OFMYDOLLHOUSE/

Denise

Old December 3rd 03, 02:27 AM
Carol

Doesn't the wood glue dry too slowly? I would think that if the glue isn't
dry it would be a problem to do a second row until the first row is totally
dry and wood glue takes hours to dry.
I stained shingles after attaching them to a roof. It's ok if you do it
before anything is done to the exterior of the house in case the stain
drips.

Carol

Old December 3rd 03, 02:56 AM
Gerald Miller

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:18:46 GMT, "Carol"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

I use regular carpenter's glue. I lay shingles with 3/4" exposure so I
rule the roof deck every 3/4" from the butts of the first row, run a
fine line of glue on top of the butts of the previous row and another
just below the line for the butts of the row I am laying, then proceed
to apply shingles. If you don't use too much glue, it will be
partially absorbed by the shingles and will dry quite quickly. Two
other tricks I use are to tilt the house till the roof surface is
level, and clamp a staight-edge along the butt line to either keep the
shingles perfectly even or provide a reference for intentional
irregularity.
I use "hot melt glue" only for carton sealing as it is useless in
woodworking (unless, of course, you are thinking of the old fashioned
hide glue). One of our builders decided hot glue was wonderful for
railings etc. and after repairing the third house, I told him that
should he persist in this, he would never get another building
assignment from our store. By the time the pieces are assembled, the
exposed glue surface has cooled very slightly and the bond strength is
destroyed.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Lampworking - need torch advice. BethF Beads 15 January 23rd 05 07:13 AM
Art Fair Advice Rebecca Thomas Beads 1 January 22nd 04 03:39 PM
Roofing John A Doll Houses 0 October 25th 03 04:19 PM