OT - Fruitcake discrimination!

Old December 19th 03, 04:18 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT - Fruitcake discrimination!

All this talk about fruitcake here got me drooling, so I decided it was
about time to make myself one. Got plenty of wheat-free flour at Whole
Foods, and then went to my regular grocery store for the candied fruit.
Walked all around the store, several times. Checked the baking area, the
dried fruit area, the produce area, the holiday end caps. Even tracked down
the grocery manager. THEY DON'T CARRY IT!!! He said no one makes fruitcakes
any more, so they stopped carrying it. Would I like to order a whole case?
Grrr....

Now I'm on a mission. We'll see if the grocery store a block from where I
work is discriminating against fruitcake lovers or not. Justice will not be
denied!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old December 19th 03, 05:37 PM
Kathy Applebaum

I may have to go to a "big" city to find an Italian neighborhood. (Can we
say road trip to SF????) The old Italian neighborhoods in Sacred Tomato have
been yuppified, and the two local grocers I used to frequent are long gone.
But ahhhh, the smells! :-)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

"Piglet" wrote in message
Worst comes to worst, look for an Italian neighborhood.....it may be that
"nobody" makes fruitcakes anymore, but AFAIK folks have not quit making
panettone......

--pig, who discovered that you *can* still find broccoflower, but you have
to go to a grocery in a "yupscale" neighborhood.......

On 12/19/03 9:18 AM, opined:

Old December 19th 03, 05:57 PM
Jan Dunaway

If it helps... I found mine at Super Walmart.. and the dates at
Costco..... when I went for round two at the grocery store, I walked
away..... it was 4 times what I had paid at other places and the
packaging had 2 inches of dust caked on it.... no thanks! :-)

Jan

Old December 19th 03, 09:16 PM
Elizabeth Young

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

All this talk about fruitcake here got me drooling, so I decided it was
about time to make myself one. Got plenty of wheat-free flour at Whole
Foods, and then went to my regular grocery store for the candied fruit.
Walked all around the store, several times. Checked the baking area, the
dried fruit area, the produce area, the holiday end caps. Even tracked down
the grocery manager. THEY DON'T CARRY IT!!! He said no one makes fruitcakes
any more, so they stopped carrying it. Would I like to order a whole case?
Grrr....

Raley's and Belair and Safeway in my area all had candied fruit during
thanksgiving

liz young in partly cloudy cameron park ca

Old December 19th 03, 09:31 PM
BarbQuilts

That's terrible! The grocery stores here (Atlanta) have it. In fact it's
usually a special end aisle display. However, I don't make a traditional
fruitcake, but use the candied fruit in an old family molasses cake recipe
made as cupcakes. They are nice and crusty on top and are wonderful.
Yummy - I'll have to make them this weekend.

--
Barb Quilts
Remove the CAT to reply

. ..

Old December 19th 03, 09:49 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Alas, it was a Raley's in Sacramento that wasn't carrying it any more.
Maybe people up the hill do more baking?

Old December 19th 03, 10:55 PM
Sharon Harper

You are kidding aren't you? Surely there isn't a place called Sacred
Tomato? And surely there aren't people crazy enough to live in a place
called that?????

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old December 19th 03, 11:40 PM
MOIRA RIDDELL

Their would by uproar in the UK if there were not fruit canded or otherwise
for the Christmas cake and/or mince pies....

Moira

nk.net...

Old December 20th 03, 12:20 AM
Pat in Virginia

Sacred Tomato ... never heard that one before!
A not too wild guess is that Kathy is referring to Sacramento,
capital of California. She lives near there, does that make her
crazy?? BEG

PAT in VA/USA
PS: I just went ahead and ordered my fruit cakes from Collin
Street Bakery. Only placed order today, so they will probably be
late. (sigh!)