Beaders in UK-Ad sorta, not for me

Old April 30th 05, 06:44 PM
Armand Vine

Default Beaders in UK-Ad sorta, not for me

For the beaders in the UK, you might want to look at www.redocean.org.uk
Armand

--

http://www.dvinedzines.com

Old April 30th 05, 10:40 PM
Shirley Shone

I found the titles hard to read, red on black.
There are some nice things there, but I reckon some of the components
came form across the pond. Some of the hearts are like the one I got on
my swap bracelet from Margie.

I must live in the wrong part of Uk because I could not get people to
pay those prices around here. Good luck to her.
Shirley

In message , Armand Vine
writes
For the beaders in the UK, you might want to look at www.redocean.org.uk
Armand

--
Shirley Shone
Old May 1st 05, 01:42 AM
Armand Vine

I wish I could find the magic shows where she sells. She says she sells a
lot of bracelets in the 200 to 300 pound range.
I think that is $400-$600 USD roughly.
I agree Shirley her market audience must be far better than ours. She does
use a lot of Karin silver and gemstones along with lamp work.
And yes a lot comes from the states because we have to forward it to her
when the seller will not ship internationally.
Thanks for looking.

Old May 1st 05, 07:27 AM
Shirley Shone

I notice she is based down South and you can command higher prices down
there. That is were the money is. I have even seen very plain amulet
purses selling for 99 GBP's. If ask for 35 for a richly embellished one
I get looked at as if I am robbing them. I only usually make things for
friends and family in that case I am happy to get just a little more
than the cost of materials so I can carry on with my hobby.

I have just been looking at the events list on the site.
I notice there is on at Derby in October that is only a 40 mins drive
from here so maybe I will get to that one. Also sometimes I get to go to
the Christmas one at the NEC with my Monday night club.

If I made things with gold and platinum they would still want them at
wholesale cost around here. Because I make them at home they think it
does not cost anything. I often get Oh I could make it cheaper so I tell
them to go ahead. They do not think of all the tools we need before we
can start.
Shirley

In message , Armand Vine
writes

Old May 3rd 05, 01:57 AM
Armand Vine

Yes, we often hear "my grandmother could make that for me". or "those beads
don't cost much, your price is too high".
The beads may be inexpensive, but the trip to Bali and/or Japan to buy them
was not. I also tell them to go ahead and make it for themselves. Sometimes
I do spiral rope while sitting at a show, so I tell them I'll teach them how
and they can make their own- no takers so far.
It is not hard but very tedious and time consuming.
Thanks for your comments.
Armand

Old May 4th 05, 07:53 AM
Kalera Stratton

I always found that a good response was to nod seriously and say "Yes,
if you don't need to pay yourself for your time, learning to make your
own is an excellent way to go".

Tends to put things in perspective for them. I never have made much
jewelry, but I have found that people often want me to make a bead into
a pendant or necklace for them. I also found that they don't want to pay
for my time, materials, or expertise in doing so, so I won't do it.
Mostly I play dumb and pretend I can't, but sometimes if I'm feeling
persnickety I'll say "Oh, no, I stopped doing that because I found
nobody wanted to pay for my time."

The best thing ever was when a customer at the store I used to work at
was scoffing at a beautiful handcrafted chair, saying "I could make that
in my garage for $40!" The guy behind him (and I wish I could keep this
guy in my pocket, he was awesome) said, "Have you looked at the price of
oak lately? You couldn't but the wood for one arm of that chair for
$40! Maybe you could make it out of alder for $40... if you have a free
week and $3000 worth of woodworking tools."

I think we need to find that guy, clone him, and have him hang around
our tables at shows.

Armand Vine wrote:
Yes, we often hear "my grandmother could make that for me". or "those beads
don't cost much, your price is too high".
The beads may be inexpensive, but the trip to Bali and/or Japan to buy them
was not. I also tell them to go ahead and make it for themselves. Sometimes
I do spiral rope while sitting at a show, so I tell them I'll teach them how
and they can make their own- no takers so far.
It is not hard but very tedious and time consuming.
Thanks for your comments.
Armand

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com

Book Review: The Beader's Bible EL Beads 0 December 5th 04 08:38 PM
sorta OT sorta not....t-pins Dannielle Needlework 7 August 29th 04 09:35 PM
looking for beaders in NYC Tara Beads 3 June 27th 04 10:32 PM
AD - Cool Beader's T-shirts and mugs for sale! Dr. Sooz Beads 0 July 10th 03 03:40 AM