Semi - OT - torch questions

Old January 21st 05, 11:22 PM
Kandice Seeber

Regular humidity is fine. Places like Florida - you have to worry. In
England I doubt you have too much humidity for the concentrator. Just make
sure to follow the maintenance directions.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Susie wrote:

is there a solution for you to heat your glass area?????

When we can afford it we'll insulate it, but I'd read that oxycons are
very
touchy about humidity and it does rain a bit up here.

then it might be simpler to just get what torch system works well for his
needs.....

That's the issue, is an oxycon better or an oxygen tank. We are looking
at
the two systems to decide. If we go with a tank we can't take it on the
boat but an oxycon would travel with us.

am glad you will be getting your 7 months payments back- is a good
thing.....

I'm over the moon as they've dragged it out as long as they could until I
wrote one of those 'If you keep bugging us with forms and not with action
we
will consider it delaying tactics and harassment and file a complaint.'
We
posted that on Monday and today we got a letter back with an apology and a
confirmation of the payout.

It's not a lot but it's going to help us get Mike's feet scanned, as we're
going to pay to go privately rather than wait another four months, and
that's not going to be cheap but we're in the situation now that he only
has
five months of half-pay left and then they can just close his job, he
won't
get any benefits nor will he be able to apply for retirement if necessary
because he'll be unemployed and the evaluation board for medical
retirements
insists that all avenues be exhausted before they'll look at a case. So
if
he has to wait 4 months for the scan, and then another few months for the
consultant to read it and then agree to see him we're facing unemployment,
no pay coming in at all, no resources and no help. It is just
gut-wrenching
as he has been a teacher at the same place for almost 30 years and we're
facing complete financial meltdown and nothing is going to stop it if we
can't get him seen by someone in time. And the way he is going there
isn't
much hope of recovery in the next few months either so going back to work
before the year cut-off isn't a great prospect although he'd be happy to
get
back to work and not feel so helpless and useless which is how he feels
now.
It's usually ok but it's been a bit grim lately and this insurance payout
will help him immeasurably simply to take the pressure off him
emotionally.
Thank heavens for glass, I genuinely believe it's kept him alive. I try
not
to whine but it's just getting frustrating again. An hour on the phone
today and no luck with the consultant. He categorized Mike as
'non-urgent'
without even seeing him so there's no advance up the waiting list ladder.
*sigh*

So, scan first, torch after but the torch is important too in a lot of
ways
because it's what's kept him going all this time. Fingers crossed for us.

-Su

--
Tillerman eBay auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZthetillermanbeads

Old January 21st 05, 11:23 PM
Kandice Seeber

*we* are lucky you're still here, too!! I'd like to slap some doctors.....

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I am lucky that I am still here.
Shirley

In message , Charlie
writes
This really annoys me! I'm quietly fuming for you. Why do some doctors
not
appear to realise that peoples legs and feet are one of the most important
parts of the body! I've had a year of being pushed around at my new
doctors
surgery with them telling me I'm basically a nutter and making the pain
up.
Finally I got a diagnosis last week, but it look a broken toe to get it!

Sorry, ranting!

Charlie.

Shirley Shone

Old January 21st 05, 11:28 PM
Su/Cutworks

Susie wrote:

sounds like you will do fine with the portable unit for getting it on the
boat ect...

We'll look into getting the shed insulated which would be a big plus for
keeping the oxycon out there. It's just a bit nippy right now with the
winter gales. It would be more convenient than oxygen tanks for us as
storage is a big issue and if we're away from the mooring for the summer we
can take the kiln but not a big oxygen tank, although we could stash an
oxycon. I presume that they're not horribly noisy as they're made for
medical use in the home so running it on the boat wouldn't be a problem.

you are so right about the rain- humidity can be a real tricky thing- and
often heat will not really do anything for that- we are real humid here
because it is so darn wet all of the time, so can definately understand

that
problem.....some of the crafts I tried when I got started did not go too
well because of the moisture always in our air....

Someone the other day on the tv was showing a map of the UK in the future if
global warming turned the UK into a desert and our region showed bright
green because they said that no matter the conditions elsewhere it was
guaranteed to rain where we live.

dang those insurance companies and doctors can be a real pain to work
with.... here's to hoping he gets things done and fast.....and fingers for
sure crossed for you!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I hate sounding whiny, I was just fed up today. I'm better tonight
but I appreciate the support this group gives when it just gets too much.

-Su

Old January 21st 05, 11:41 PM
Polly Stewart

Kandice Seeber wrote:

The concentrator will pay for itself very quickly.

I *got* it!!! I was in the dark on this thread (of course) but I do try
to read and absorb something from y'all! And I was wondering what an
oxycon was. A concentrator!!!

LOL I was given a concentrator (totally different for different use but
surely the same in theory) when I was first diagnosed with COPD and did
not want oxy bottles in my house! Thankfully my COPD is now just severe
asthma and since I no longer need oxygen EVER AGAIN (fingers crossed) I
sold the concentrator for Christmas cash in 2003!

hehehe now I don't feel so much in the dark!

Sometimes I wish I could do a brain download from some of you guys just
to better understand (at least superficially) your art and talent with
glass.

Polly
=====
Old January 22nd 05, 01:13 AM
Kandice Seeber

ROFL - well, if you ever wonder what we mean, just feel free to ask!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old January 22nd 05, 07:16 AM
Shirley Shone

Message snipped

Sometimes I wish I could do a brain download from some of you guys just
to better understand (at least superficially) your art and talent with
glass.

Polly
=====

I am with you there Polly. I wished I could download some of their
computer skills. LOL
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone
Old January 22nd 05, 07:40 AM
Polly Stewart

Shirley Shone wrote:

I am with you there Polly. I wished I could download some of their
computer skills. LOL

Thats the easy stuff for me... but this moving glass and turning out
such beautiful work is mind boggling to me.

I can (and have) just stared at some of their bead pics wondering 'how
did they do that... and *that*???'

Personally I think there is actually some magic involved... and they are
just not telling.

Computer skill needs no magic... just the occasional bloodless sacrifice!

Polly

Old January 22nd 05, 08:07 AM
Polly Stewart

vj wrote:
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Polly Stewart
:

]Computer skill needs no magic... just the occasional bloodless sacrifice!

point!

weeeeee... my first!

Now for that 'other' group, vj... but, methinks they *are* much tougher!

argh must sleep... I have been searching Texas newspaper websites
tonight looking for information on the death yesterday of an old friend
of my brothers... to no avail. She was an awesome woman and a good
friend to them.

I guess you can't find everything on the internet... time to give up and
go to bed!!!

'nite

Polly
Old January 22nd 05, 09:10 AM
Su/Cutworks

Kandice wrote:

Regular humidity is fine. Places like Florida - you have to worry. In
England I doubt you have too much humidity for the concentrator. Just

make
sure to follow the maintenance directions.

We'll never have the humidity that Florida does! It would never get that
hot for more than one day a year.

Thanks for the reassurance. Once things are sorted out I'll post more on
our choice but it looks like Mike will be getting a Minor once we get things
settled and they actually PAY.

-Su

Old January 22nd 05, 11:28 AM
Shirley Shone

That is very reassuring to know dear friend.
Shirley

In message , vj
writes
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from Shirley Shone
:

]I am with you there Polly. I wished I could download some of their
]computer skills. LOL

you don't have to.
you have *ME*
**grin**