Great art verses reputation

Old February 20th 04, 08:12 PM
starlia

I think you are right on Roxan. Dan and I frequently purchase art from
unknowns because we love the artwork. Maybe someday they'll be famous or
maybe they already are and we don't know it. The fact remains we buy what
calls to us.

"roxan" wrote in message

Since there was so much controversy about the value of beads and how much
one can get for them because of their reputation, I thought this brings up
an interesting topic. Pablo Picasso once said that since most people don't
really know the difference between great art and mediocre art work, it
didn't matter to him to do great work towards the end of his life, all he
had to do was put his name on a piece of paper and it would sell for
millions. This angered him since he wanted his art to be recognized

because
he was a great artist not because of his name.

I think the same would apply to jewelry makers and bead artists. If you

can
get a exorbitant about of money just because you have a good reputation

for
doing good beads or jewelry, what would inspire you to take the time to
continue to do great work if mediocre work would sell at the same price as
great work would. My feeling on this is that each art work should be

looked
at for it's own artist creation not because someone famous make it. If you
didn't know the name of the person who made it would you pay the same

price
because it was great work or would you pass it up for an unknown artist

that
made equally good work but who doesn't have a well know reputation yet? I
know which one I would chose, it would be great art no matter who did it.

know art is in the eye of the beholder which is very subjective, so for me
it comes down to what I really love and would appreciate owning no matter
who made it.
Roxan

Old February 20th 04, 08:16 PM
Harry

Great big hugs for you Roxan! (((( ROXAN ))))
You said what I was thinking and couldn't put into words.
Thank you... I love it when I have friends who help me think and
remember.

Harry

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:18:42 -0500, "roxan" wrote:

[...]

know which one I would chose, it would be great art no matter who did it. I

My Ebay Auctions are at http://snipurl.com/3okw

Old February 20th 04, 08:19 PM
Dr. Sooz

My feeling on this is that each art work should be looked
at for it's own artist creation not because someone famous make it.

Yes. But people are lemmings...not all, but many of them are, anyway.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 20th 04, 08:35 PM
roxan

Well Harry the great artist takes from the world that which is ordinary or
even ugly to others and makes it beautiful. This is why I said to you that
the shells you do don't have to be perfectly round or oval but interesting
to make it more beautiful when you embellish it with your own creativity. I
always know when one on my pieces will sell right away when my dear husband
says he doesn't like it. I say great I know it will sell then. He doesn't
have a great eye for great art. LOL
Roxan

Old February 20th 04, 08:38 PM
Margie

wrote:

[...]

You raise an interesting topic. I submit that even a reputable artist
would eventually suffer from that mediocrity because the collectors
would stop buying after a time. Yes, I believe they would. The
general buying populace might not but they tend to be a fickle
mistress at the best of times.

My feeling on this is that each art work should be looked
at for it's own artist creation not because someone famous make it. If you
didn't know the name of the person who made it would you pay the same price
because it was great work or would you pass it up for an unknown artist that
made equally good work but who doesn't have a well know reputation yet? I
know which one I would chose, it would be great art no matter who did it. I
know art is in the eye of the beholder which is very subjective, so for me
it comes down to what I really love and would appreciate owning no matter
who made it.
Roxan

I agree with you to a point. I don't see it as "either/or" but "all
the above".

--
Margie
http://www.handcraftedjewelry.com/st...asp?userid=261

Old February 20th 04, 08:51 PM
Christina Peterson

I think you may have misspoken. If it angered Picasso that people were
more interested in his signature than his art's quality, I think he must
have said, it didn't matter to his *customers* if he did great work toward
the end of his life.

Tina

Old February 20th 04, 08:55 PM
Christina Peterson

An artist doesn't necessarily make something beautiful, but will make
something meaningful. Actually, it is the artisan who is more likely to
make something beautiful.

Tina

"roxan"

Old February 20th 04, 08:59 PM
Christina Peterson

Even more, I think it would cause suffering to the *artist*. And presumably
if the artist is reputable, he won't be so broke that he has to sell
inferior work to put bread on the table.

Tina

"Margie" wrote ...

Old February 20th 04, 09:59 PM
roxan

No I don't think I misspoken at all. He didn't have customers he had people
who would buy his work because they could make a mint on him no matter what
he did not necessary that it was great art. It is like the story of the
emperor who has no clothes. No one would tell him the truth that he wasn't
dressed. The difference here is Picasso knew when he wasn't being told the
truth about his work. He knew they would buy **** if it had his name on it.
Roxan