I'll bet you've not heard this sewing machine problem before

Old April 8th 10, 06:04 PM
Micki Micki is offline
Junior Member

Default I'll bet you've not heard this sewing machine problem before

I bought a used Babylock sewing machine (not a serger) at a yard sale for $40. The yard sale was at a storage unit that had been abandoned and the property owner was selling off the contents. It looked okay, the owner let me plug it in and use it long enough to determine that it was working. I took the machine home and cleaned it, then opened it up to oil it. There was a NEST OF ROACHES inside the machine!!! I saw tiny ones, medium ones, and big ones...............alive. Of course the first thing I did was carry it outside to my back yard and sprayed the blazes out of it with ant and roach spray. Now I am wondering do I even want this machine? That is, if the spray hasn't killed the electronics and/or motherboard. What would you do? Would you keep the machine if you could determine that the roaches were dead and gone? Do you think it would help to use an air compressor (my hubby has one) and blow the machine out? Taking the machine back is NOT an option. There were signs up all over saying "All sales final". I can't in good conscience sell this machine to anyone without disclosing the disgusting details........and frankly.....who would want it knowing that?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old April 8th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Micki wrote:
[...]

Don't use compressed air, all you'll do is blow critters and
eggs into completely inaccessible nooks and crannies. If it
were me, I would enclose the machine in a large garbage bag
and set off a bug bomb/fogger. Then I'd take apart
everything I could and clean it very carefully with a
VACUMN. Set it aside for a few month and see if anything is
moving. If not, it's a keeper, if there are still critters,
use it as a boat anchor.

Beverly

Old April 9th 10, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Micki wrote:
[...]

I'd try stripping all the coverings you can get off it off and hoovering
it out thoroughly. Then clean off the ant and roach stuff anf lubricate
properly. Then see how you feel.

If ir runs OK, and you know there are no bugs left in it, you'll be fine.

Little anecdote:

We lived in Malta for a few years when I was a kid. When we moved to
the flat, everything LOOKED OK But the first time mum turned the oven
on, HUNDREDS of huge roaches (about and inch to an inch and a half long)
crawled out!

After she'd done screaming, she started on the landlord. Next day we
got a new cooker!

We still got roaches though... Dad heard scrabbling noises in the
cupboard, and thinking it was mice, he set traps. The baid would
vanish, the traps failed to trip. One morning he pulled the frying pan
out to cook breakfast. There was a yell anmd an almighty crash! A 2"
long one was in the frying pan. The crash happened when he tipped it
out an flattened it! Broke a tile in the kitchen floor, and mum's
fryingpan still has a dent in the bottom...

After Malta, I STILL tap spaghetti on the counter to knock the weevils
out!
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old April 9th 10, 09:55 AM
Micki Micki is offline
Junior Member

Beverly, Thank you for the bug bomb idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Micki
Old April 9th 10, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

Give it a good vacuuming and see if it works after the bug spray. If it does,
put it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for about a week, then leave
it sealed in the plastic bag at room temperature for another two weeks. Then
back in the freezer for another week, back at room temperature for two weeks.
Inspect and clean again, then it should be fine.

This is a very standard museum insect control technique that's easy on
electronics. Not so good for ivory, wax, films, paints on canvas, wood glues
and materials saturated with water, but should do fine on sewing machines.

No, I've never seen a sewing machine infested with cockroaches, but I've seen
telephones, computers, radios, television sets...

Kay (old biologist)

Old April 9th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ron Anderson

"Micki" wrote in message

[...]

I have seen all sorts of things in sewing machines. But then again I peek
into far more than most people. Roaches, Mouse nests, the contents of a 5
pound box of raisins courtesy of a mouse I am sure, teeth, money, toys
pencils pens etc.

One note. There will probably be eggs left behind by the roaches.
They hatch and more roaches.

--
Ron Anderson A1 Sewing Machine
18 Dingman Rd Sand Lake, NY 12153

Old April 9th 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Micki wrote:
Beverly, Thank you for the bug bomb idea. I hadn't
thought of that.

Micki

You're welcome, and good luck.

One thought I had after suggesting that is I don't know how
much liquid bug bombs emit. It might be wise to heavily oil
everything you can before bombing. Or follow Kay's
instructions, probably safer.

Beverly

Old April 25th 10, 09:10 PM
Micki Micki is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for all the great advice. I enclosed the machine in a large lawn and leaf trash bag and set off a roach spray bomb inside the bag. I left it on my back porch for a week. When I was brave enough to open it, I saw about 6 dead roaches (and some kind of worm!). I cleaned it thoroughly inside and out, then oiled it well. I then tested it, using all the stitches and functions and - amazingly - it works fine. I still don't think I want this machine, though. Every time I look at it I remember the horror of the roach nest.

Thanks again for the ideas, I appreciate all of you.

Last edited by Micki : April 25th 10 at 09:12 PM. Reason: omitted my email address
Old April 26th 10, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Samantha Hill

Micki wrote:
all the stitches and functions and - amazingly - it works fine. I still
don't think I want this machine, though. Every time I look at it I
remember the horror of the roach nest.

If it's any help, roaches do not spread disease like flies or rodents
do, so if it's cleaned out, there is nothing there that could be a
problem. You certainly can't say the same if it's had mouse/rat
urine/feces on it.
Old April 26th 10, 08:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Samantha Hill wrote:
Micki wrote:
all the stitches and functions and - amazingly - it works fine. I still
don't think I want this machine, though. Every time I look at it I
remember the horror of the roach nest.

If it's any help, roaches do not spread disease like flies or rodents
do, so if it's cleaned out, there is nothing there that could be a
problem. You certainly can't say the same if it's had mouse/rat
urine/feces on it.

Hm... Given that the 2" long jobs we had in Malta lived in the sewers,
I beg to differ on that score!

OT - but sewing problem frood Quilting 8 November 17th 05 03:48 AM
Sewing Machine Newbie With A Problem Pete Holland Jr. Sewing 3 May 24th 04 06:56 AM
Frustrating Sewing Machine Problem Suzie-Q Sewing 4 May 14th 04 10:42 PM
machine problem, help please QuiltShopHopper Sewing 1 March 29th 04 09:19 PM
emb.machine problem user78 Sewing 5 October 13th 03 10:20 PM