Back of Counted Cross Stitch work

Old October 3rd 04, 11:29 PM
PalmaG72

Default Back of Counted Cross Stitch work

What is the secret in having CCS work look neat in the back as well as the
front - I start out okay but then the back of the work gets all threaded -like
one lump - are there any instructions in how to do a neat piece in the back
Old October 4th 04, 01:57 AM
Karen C - California

There are some pieces that are impossible to have a neat back, because they
have so many color changes.

But if you're doing something with a reasonable number of colors, clip all your
tails (both starting and ending) close to the fabric as soon as you've ended
off that piece of floss -- don't rationalize leaving them all till the end of
the project, because then you'll get them snarling all over.

If you have to carry from one area to another, weave it under the backs of
other stitches. If you can't weave it under, then don't carry more than 1/2".

--
Finished 9/24/04 - Quilt Show
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old October 4th 04, 11:51 AM
F.James Cripwell

PalmaG72 ) writes:
What is the secret in having CCS work look neat in the back as well as the
front - I start out okay but then the back of the work gets all threaded -like
one lump - are there any instructions in how to do a neat piece in the back

People tell me the backs of my work are "neat". I must admit I agree
with them. What I believe makes my backs neat, is that I "know" what is
happening at the back of the work, while I am concentrating what is going
on at the front. When I am following where the same symbols are taking me
across the pattern, I am very much aware of whether the stitches at the
back of the work are straight, diagonal, or longer than these. Whether
this really matters, is, of course, a horse of an entirely different
colour. There is a theory that the messier the back is, the longer the
piece is going to last. I would not worry too much about what the back of
your work looks like, as long as you enjoy what you are doing. HTH.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old October 4th 04, 03:00 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Pal

I work in straight horizontal rows, starting at the top left, so the
backs come out looking almost identical to the front.

Here is an example:
http://archimedes.galilei.com/raiar/...k/oldmill.html
At the end, is new photo's of where I am currently at on this project.
Also, you will note that the reds are finally toning down
considerably.
It was purposely made redder than normal to blend with existing works
I have hanging on the walls and with the rustic decor.

I'm using 200 colors, lots of confetti stitches, and am often carrying
about 20 needles at once in the material.
But I do end a color if the next iteration is further than 20 to 24
stitches away.

TTUL
Gary

Old October 6th 04, 02:09 AM
norman77

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. wrote:
Hi Pal

I work in straight horizontal rows, starting at the top left, so the
backs come out looking almost identical to the front.

Here is an example:
http://archimedes.galilei.com/raiar/...k/oldmill.html
At the end, is new photo's of where I am currently at on this project.
Also, you will note that the reds are finally toning down
considerably.
It was purposely made redder than normal to blend with existing works
I have hanging on the walls and with the rustic decor.

I'm using 200 colors, lots of confetti stitches, and am often carrying
about 20 needles at once in the material.
But I do end a color if the next iteration is further than 20 to 24
stitches away.

TTUL
Gary

Thank you for the link, Gary. Your work, both the back and the front,
is beautiful.

With best regards,
--Mickey
Mansfield, MA
Old October 6th 04, 04:32 AM
K Sartori

I work in straight horizontal rows, starting at the top left, so the
backs come out looking almost identical to the front.
Here is an example:
http://archimedes.galilei.com/raiar/...k/oldmill.html At the end,
is new photo's of where I am currently at on this project. Also, you
will note that the reds are finally toning down considerably.
It was purposely made redder than normal to blend with existing works I
have hanging on the walls and with the rustic decor.
I'm using 200 colors, lots of confetti stitches, and am often carrying
about 20 needles at once in the material.
But I do end a color if the next iteration is further than 20 to 24
stitches away.
TTUL
Gary

wow that is some beatiful work. Wish i had a digital camera so i could
show some of my work. i have a camera phone buut i don't know how to
post it to the ngs. Kelly

Old October 6th 04, 11:36 AM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Thanks Mickey

TTUL
Gary

Old October 6th 04, 11:42 AM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Kelly

I've learned something since my camera has broken.

Most things like this come out better if you scan them rather than
photograph them! At least you don't have to worry about getting the
focus right on close up's, hi hi.....

TTUL
Gary

Old October 7th 04, 09:08 PM
K Sartori

right now i have webtv and i hate it.as soon as i get my laptop that
comes with one of thise printers that doubles as a scanner. then i'll be
able to show my work. Kelly

Cross Stitch for sale lisa Marketplace 0 June 8th 04 12:36 AM
Cross Stitch Magazines...cheap! Kim Marketplace 0 May 11th 04 09:52 PM
For Sale knitting macrame, cross stitch, general crafts lisa Marketplace 0 March 20th 04 07:31 AM
True Colors Renassiance Angels Counted Cross stitch kit Sandra Lougee Needlework 0 January 31st 04 10:41 PM
New FREE downloadable Pattern Maker Pro 4 zipped cross stitch pattern ! Misty Needlework 0 August 11th 03 10:29 AM