I broke the rules

Old February 15th 04, 02:24 PM
havana bill & holly

Here we go again. Please don't let this deteriorate into another flaming
match that nearly shuts this ng down again! We were just getting up to the
level of information sharing we were at before. Let the would-be sellers
rage & fume & go elsewhere in peace.

Old February 15th 04, 11:00 PM
Pam

"havana bill & holly" wrote in message ...
Here we go again. Please don't let this deteriorate into another flaming
match that nearly shuts this ng down again! We were just getting up to the
level of information sharing we were at before. Let the would-be sellers
rage & fume & go elsewhere in peace.

Geez! I came here to get advice, I mostly have lurked in the
background, but I have to put in my 2 cents here, Why are you all
jumping on a newbie who didn't know your methods of posting? I agree
that if you don't want selling, that is fine, but please make it
clear, and give people the benefit of the doubt, if it looks like
there is a problem, suggest a solution, don't just condemn them
without a trial.

I see both sides on this one, and I am glad I don't have to be making
a decision on who is right/wrong here. I got a couple of emails
myself, those that sent them know what they said, but I have a thicker
skin than that, I guess pebblepuppie did not, so I will get off my
soapbox for now, bid everyone a good time and leave you with the words
"Love, not hate, shall conquer all!"

I am writing pebblepuppie and asking her to reconsider leaving, she
makes some wonderful things, I will never be able to build a dollhouse
like hers if I live to be a 150, can you?

Pam
Old February 16th 04, 05:46 AM
Chuck

On 15 Feb 2004 14:00:18 -0800, (Pam) wrote:

Geez! I came here to get advice, I mostly have lurked in the
background, but I have to put in my 2 cents here, Why are you all
jumping on a newbie who didn't know your methods of posting? I agree
that if you don't want selling, that is fine, but please make it
clear, and give people the benefit of the doubt, if it looks like
there is a problem, suggest a solution, don't just condemn them
without a trial.

First of all, Pam, the appropriate portions of the charter and a
pointer to the newsgroup's web site are posted every couple of weeks
by Dawn, who is the maintainer of the site. Second of all, the evil,
rude, condemnatory email that set Millie off is quoted, in its
entirety, below. It was posted in response to an unsolicited
advertisement for coathangers.

Millie,
Nice to have you aboard, but please bear in mind that the charter of the newsgroup
doesn't allow for commercial, advertising, "for sale" or "for auction" posts.

Thanks.

Doesn't seem all that pushy, judgemental, narrow-minded or anything
else to me, but hey, what do I know...

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old February 16th 04, 06:19 PM
Pam

(Chuck) wrote in message ...
On 15 Feb 2004 14:00:18 -0800,
(Pam) wrote:

[...]

Why did you email her? If Dawn is the site maintainer let her take
care of it, why do you care? Why not just post your opinion of her
infraction here? Where is Dawn, I would think this topic warrants her
intervention. I still don't see where Millie was "selling" those cute
little coathangers, and how do We know that is what you emailed her?

Pam
Old February 17th 04, 05:59 PM
Chuck

Why did you email her?

Because issues like this are (appropriately) taken care of off-group,
to avoid cluttering it up, and to avoid threads, LIKE THIS ONE, full
of off-topic blather about things (like rules of a newsgroup) that any
user of any UseNet newsgroup should make themself aware of before
posting to said newsgroup.

If Dawn is the site maintainer let her take care of it,

rec.crafts.dollhouses is not a "site," it is a newsgroup. Dawn
maintains a web site, of her own, which is the official web site
associated with the newsgroup. This is an unmoderated, or more
correctly "self-moderated" newsgroup. It is up to the
users/subscribers to maintain the integrity and usefulness of the
newsgroup and make sure that its content falls within the boundaries
of its own charter.

why do you care?

Why? Because I am one of the founding members, I've been on here
since Day 1, and I've been battling spammers, ad-posters and trolls
almost since that day, and I plan to continue that practice as long as
people continue posting ads, spam and other off-topic or
inappropropriate posts. We started this newsgroup to SHARE
information, not SELL it, and attempts to circumvent that aspect of
the spirit of the newsgroup's charter will be handled accordingly.

Why not just post your opinion of her infraction here?

Because issues like this are appropriately handled off-group, as is
the UseNet standard, as it has been for ages. Because the point is,
not only do most people not want to be reminded, reprimanded or chided
in the public eye, but it also avoids never-ending, off-topic threads
LIKE THIS ONE, about things, like the rules of the newsgroup, which as
I said, people should make themself aware of before they post to a
newsgroup.

Where is Dawn, I would think this topic warrants her
intervention.

Dawn has a life too, and this topic doesn't need any "intervention,"
it just needs to end. The rule is simple: Don't post advertisements
and don't post auction notices. This newsgroup isn't here for people
to make a buck off, it is here for the free exchange of information.
Posting things that say, "Hey, I make and sell blahblahblah" is an ad,
however you slice it. If someone says, "Where the heck can I find
blahblahblah," and someone else says, "I can make that for you, email
me and we'll talk about it," that's absolutely appropriate.

I still don't see where Millie was "selling" those cute
little coathangers,

Then apparently you didn't see her post, or read it selectively.

and how do We know that is what you emailed her?

Because I said it is, and I do not lie. Also because I didn't post
her rude reply.
Old February 17th 04, 11:54 PM
Millie

(Chuck) wrote in message . com...
[...]

So You, Chuck, are not in charge, just pushing your views onto others?
I am back, I am sorry if my innocent prior posts were incorrect, but I
have not been on the internet for ten years, as you say you have, so
since I have been making minnie stuff, could you fill me in on what
you make? If as a founding member you have more rights on this group
than does a newbie, please show me where that appears in the charter?
I think I have much to share with others on this group, including my
opinions about a busybody like you, please find something else to do,
I want to hear about dollhouses, not rules as you see them.

Millie
Old February 18th 04, 01:16 AM
Herb

Millie wrote:

[ A lot of stuff, followed by ...

I am back

.... and then a lot more stuff ]

To which Herb replies:

Welcome Back!!
Illegitimus non carborundum.
Old February 18th 04, 12:15 PM
patrick

CONTINUED FOR MILLIE . . .

And to just G R O W U P ! These are some of the most "free giving" people
I have come across and you have been just plain out childish and rude.
Shame on you.

I think I have much to share with others on this group, including my
opinions about a busybody like you, please find something else to do,

You have lost any respect that you might have deserved by the way you have
acted toward everyone. At first if you don't like what some one says,
ridicule them and stomp you feet like a child. This must be your motto.

TO THE REST WHO HAS BEEN SO NICE AND HAVE STUCK WITH THIS NEWSGROUP THROUGH
THICK AND THIN.

THANK YOU.

I AM VERY SORRY TO HAVE POSTED THIS AND PROLONGING WHAT SHOULD HAVE NEVER
GOTTEN THIS FAR . . . BUT, AFTER READING THE POSTS DAILY AND LISTENING TO
THE RAMPANT RANTING OF HOW TO GET AROUND RULES, INSULTS, AND TREATING YOU
GUY'S POORLY--I JUST HAD TO SAY SOMETHING. PLEASE ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES. YOU
GUYS ARE THE GREATEST! THANK YOU.

I'VE BEEN READING AND WATCHING FOR JUST OVER A YEAR AND HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH
FROM YOU GUY'S AND GAL'S, AND WHEN I AM AT THE POINT WHERE I CAN SHARE WHAT
I HAVE LEARNED (IN THIS FIELD), YOU WILL SEE MY POSTS.

THANK YOU AND LETS BRING THIS THREAD TO A CLOSE. PLEASE.

Old February 18th 04, 03:04 PM
Cathy Weeks

(Millie) wrote in message . com...
So You, Chuck, are not in charge, just pushing your views onto others?
I am back, I am sorry if my innocent prior posts were incorrect, but I
have not been on the internet for ten years, as you say you have, so
since I have been making minnie stuff, could you fill me in on what
you make? If as a founding member you have more rights on this group
than does a newbie, please show me where that appears in the charter?
I think I have much to share with others on this group, including my
opinions about a busybody like you, please find something else to do,
I want to hear about dollhouses, not rules as you see them.

The rules as he sees them aren't just his rules. They have been
around from the beginning. They are called "nettiquette".

Here's a rule of thumb that I always tell beginners to the newsgroups:
read for a month or so before posting. Look for FAQ (frequently asked
questions) files which are usually posted regularly.

It may seem silly for it to be ok for a merchant to include the URL in
their signature line, but not post open adverts, but if you think
about it, most ettiquette rules are like that - the difference is that
usenet has a new set to get used to.

One final thing - Gerald's posts were never particularly rude - if you
want to see rude, just hang out on usenet for awhile - it won't be
long before what he wrote will seem downright sweet! People get
downright nasty on other newgroups. So, I guess what I'm suggesting
is to develop a thicker skin, or you'll never be able to enjoy the
wonderful aspects of usenet.

Cathy Weeks
Old February 18th 04, 06:10 PM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message One final
thing - Gerald's posts were never particularly rude - if you
want to see rude, just hang out on usenet for awhile - it won't be
long before what he wrote will seem downright sweet! People get
downright nasty on other newgroups. So, I guess what I'm suggesting
is to develop a thicker skin, or you'll never be able to enjoy the
wonderful aspects of usenet.

Try some of the computer groups for awhile if you want to find rude people.
I sometimes come out of them bleeding. Four letter words, and worse, are
the norm. One time I got screamed at for top posting rather than bottom
posting even though I was being helpful and answering someone's question. My
rule of thumb is not to answer rude people or flamers.

Here is a fairly good, although old, guideline for netiquette in usenet
groups although it's for listservs and some of it is not applicable
http://www.fau.edu/netiquette/net/dis.html The part about emailing
privately is definitely not applicable.

Carol
S P Miniatures