I need to buy a 'Rolling Mill', any suggestions ?

Old March 26th 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
FC...

Default I need to buy a 'Rolling Mill', any suggestions ?

On Mar 17, 10:42*pm, Peter W. Rowe
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:23:00 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Ted Frater

wrote:

I thought *some time ago that perhaps to generate more "action" on this
newsgroup, it might be an idea for all us regulars to post a monthly
news *roundup.
*I for one would be interested in what you Peter had through your hands
that perhaps was unusual, or difficult and you solved the problem in
your expert way.
*Also what Abrasha might be doing as well.

If you Peter think that this might be a good idea let us know.
Im reluctant to post details of my current project( an unusual one)
incase *im shouted down again.
Ted.

You weren't shouted down. *I believe Abrasha was merely offering us his
typically brief and perhaps blunt opinion that your project description wasn't
along the topic's original question any more. *He's perhaps right to some extent
on that, though your explanation makes sense too. *Whatever the case, your
suggestion is for a different thing, and frankly, it sounds OK to me. *I can't
promise I'll be adding all that much, unless you want the thrilling details of
things like my current worries about health insurance and the slowdown in
business. *But that's economics, not jewelry, and possibly not appropriate to
the group. *But if you'd like to keep us informed of your current ideas and
projects, I'm all in favor of it. *

So sure. *So long as it's reasonably on topic for the group, send it in. * Might
be a fun idea.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

As a neighbor to the "North", I'd be VERY interested in your
suggestion as to a topic regarding 'Health Insurance' and 'The
Slowdown' ! Why don't you start a new thread and we can offer some
examples of people who are in various places around the World
regarding their situation and input as to the subject matter.....

Why don't you start a NEW thread Peter....

Cheers,

/MM.....
Old March 26th 09, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:31:30 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "FC..."
wrote:

[...]

As I said in the sentance after mentioning slowdowns and health insurance, those
topics aren't really jewelry related, except as it regards the specific effect
the current economy is having on the jewelry industry. I'll mention, briefly,
where my comment came from, but would suggest that it cannot become a long
discussion on general economic topics, or the general troubles with health care.
This is still a jewelry/jewelry business specific newsgroup, after all.

Yes, things are slow. Very slow. So cash is tight. And the old phrase, when
it rains, it pours, seems in full force. My employer had to move our location
because the building we were in, and had been in for much of the time since it
started there in 1935, was sold 2 years ago. New owners wanted to more than
double the rental/lease rates when our lease expired at the end of January. So
we're no longer right in downtown Seattle. The new location is in a more
industrial neighborhood, not much fun to walk around, but I don't have to pay
for parking any more. That's good. The bad is that of course, moving incurs
more costs, just as the business is already slowing with the economy. Nobody's
being laid off, but hours are being cut, and they're trying to contain costs
with measures such as dropping the group health insurance policy that had been
getting very costly, and going instead to individual policies. For some reason,
those are cheaper. Oh wait. I know the reason. Now, they can refuse to cover
people with health histories they don't like. Like me, what with 41 years of
type 1 diabetes. Of all the employees, I'm the one who most needs health
insurance coverage (though others do too), and the plans they are trying to move
to, won't take me. Now, this does make me eligible to get the state high risk
insurance pool coverage, which is actually a great policy in terms of what it
covers. The catch is that the premium is over a thousand dollars a month, which
I certainly cannot afford. What we'll end up doing remains uncertain. Thus my
comment about health insurance worries. As the evening news will tell you, I'm
not alone. Lots of employers, not just in our industry, are having to reduce or
drop health insurance benefits. All I can do is hope the new administration
doesn't waste too much time in revamping health care in the U.S.so people like
me who actually really need it to survive, can manage to afford it. And while
we're at it, doing whatever it takes to get people spending money on jewelry
again. Specifically, the jewelry that will put our company, all of you, and
others hurt by this situation, back in the black. I'm guessing that if they
manage that, the rest of the economy is gonna be doing pretty well again too.

Nuff said, OK? Followup posts should be within the topic restrictions of this
group, please. At least enough so that I can justify allowing them without too
much of a stretch in imagination... :-)

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry
Old March 26th 09, 09:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

wrote:

[...]

whats interesting here in the UK is the economic meltown we
have had.
it has been a national disaster. Caused as we all know by bankers greed.
However there is an up side to this. Banks instead of buying new
equipment for example NCR cash machines are getting their old ones
refurbished.. Many of these are over 10 yrs old and spares are in very
short supply. If available there on a 3month!! lead time.
This is useless as far as my local Co. is concerned, they give for a
cash dispenser a turn around of 7 days, Ive done engineering
consultancy to a local repairer of NCR mchines for a couple of yrs now,
on the premise that
IF they have a problem, ask me, and ill find someone to make what they
need, locally.in their time frame, or if its something I can make
theycan have it next day.
For example, yesterday I deliverd 10 shafts 1/4in dia by 12in long
that they had to have . I said what s wrong with them they said, there
bent I said I can straighten those for you and they will be $10..00
each next day.
The point im getting to is that anyone in our trade as small precision
engineering makers with very fine hand skills, used to solving problems
on a daily basis is quite capable in transferring these skills to other
engineering diciplines.
Another example , the credit card readers have a card width measurement
hinged cam.
where the card pushes against the cam, over time and 1000's of cards
it wears a groove in the cam. They csannot get these cams, so I get them
in batches of 20 , build up the slots with silver brazing alloy , linish
flat and polish.
i get $5.00 each for these. Next day for them. I do 1 a minuite so its
win for them and win for me. Every week theres something different.
Theres also a buzz of course in solving engineering problems. I enjoy
that.
However on a health note its not all roses and sunshine.
I had some xrays of my hands, pain in the CMC thumb joint area.
diagnosis, advanced ie bone on bone osteoarthuritis.
Im mentioning this for all our benefit. When it hurts ITS too late.
So anyone that relies on hand use for their living, and I mean use,
not typing at a computer, needs after say, 20 yrs to have an xray check.
Ted
Dorset
UK

Old March 26th 09, 09:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
FC...

wrote:
[...]

Yep,

We're in a heap of trouble.... That's what happens when you have a
'global economy' based on Keynes theory of Macroeconomics and a
Central Banking System ! (Ok Fine,... I'll save that for another
Forum

Location;
I'm pretty shocked at how much people are paying for rent these days.
I can't believe that tenants have been making 'that much money' in
order to pay their bills ! I was looking at some 'industrial bay'
rental space here in town and just about tipped over when the Dude
told me it was 22 bucks a square foot ! I was looking for some extra
space to cut up some metal and do some welding, that kind of
thing.... Not gonna happen until those prices come down.
Unfortunately for me, prices are going to fluctuate quite a bit before
they get consistently lower...due to my region.

Speaking of Parking, I went Downtown the other day to browse some
shops down in the City Centre and Parking was like 28 BUCKS for 4 or
more hours ! That's freakin' insane ! They could have at least
washed my damn car for that kinda coin.... sheesh ! Man, I am soooo
glad I don't work downtown anymore or it would cost me about $400.00 /
Month or MORE for parking.

HOLY CRAP !

I can't imagine having to pay for 'My Health Care'. At least not like
that... Our Health Care where I live is FREE as it's paid by the
Province. Also, our group benefits through most of our employers are
FREE or mostly covered by them... Even if you were paying for your
own, I don't think you could even BUY a plan that was more than a few
hundred per month and that's only if you were paying ALL OF IT. Most
every plan includes prescriptions, Dental, Glasses, Footwear, Massage,
Chiropractic, Physio, etc, etc.. You can pick most any type of
coverage and CANNOT be singled out due to prior medical history...
PERIOD.

My best Pal has type 2 diabetes and almost lost his foot a few months
back from a simple infection. Fortunately his plan covers everything
from his Insulin to his testing strips while our Health Care covers
anything and everything while in the hospital. It's nice being able
to go straight to your Doctor and/or a hospital and not having to
worry about an HMO (do many of you in the US have HMO's ?). You don't
sign anything, or submit anything when staying in the hospital and
billing is done directly with the government and the hospital. I
couldn't even tell you how much that stuff would cost....

Although I pay higher taxes than you probably do in the US, I like the
idea that I don't have to worry about being able to 'afford getting
sick'. No person should have to live with that knowing that an
Insurance company calls the shots when it comes to your well
being.... I just can't get my head around that, because I KNOW how
'ruthless' the Insurance companies and corporations can be...
Unfortunately, I don't think any 're-vamping' of the US health care
system is going to truly help anyone... It desperately needs to be
torn apart and built from scratch. As long as "Health Care" is a
"money making business", the 'poor and middle class Taxpayers' will be
getting the short end of the stick. I am not aware of ANY other
'industrialized country' on the globe that has such a 'strange take'
on Health Care.

Jewelry....

....has certainly taken a 'back seat' in terms of the consumer
'spending money' hasn't it ? I simply cannot believe how quickly
'high ticket' items have been disappearing from showcases. I'm not
surprised to see so much 'Silver' jewelery in the market right now but
it seems the low-Tarnish sterling and Argentium pieces are becoming
more popular. I suppose 'Silver' will eventually be the 'new gold'
once the yellow metal hits $1300.00 bucks or so per ounce... I did
notice too that a lot of the independent's are bringing in a good
supply of 'Base Metal' jewelry. One jeweler close to home has bout
20% of his shop now in base metal (DK, Thomas Sabo, etc...) and I
found that a bit curious, but I imagine the risk is less and the mark-
up, more appealing... Personally I'm not a fan of that stuff but
either way, it appears that 'someone' is indeed buying the lower end
Jewelery.

In any event, I think we're going to be in for a very long and 'very
bumpy' ride...

Cheers,

/MM

Rolling Mill Kendall Davies Jewelry 13 July 17th 12 06:07 PM
I need to buy a 'Rolling Mill', any suggestions ? FC... Jewelry 26 May 3rd 09 05:36 PM
rolling mill questions br Jewelry 30 September 23rd 06 09:45 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Marketplace 0 December 14th 03 06:52 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Quilting 0 December 14th 03 06:52 PM