how to on woodcarving

Old July 13th 03, 11:36 PM
sbeep

Default how to on woodcarving

Hi, I have always been interested in wood carving as long as I can
remember. I just don't know where to begin. If anyone could help me as
the tools I would need and any other information you think I should
know about this topic I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Old July 14th 03, 04:39 PM
Bill Houdek

About 4 years ago, was in the same situation. Went to a Woodcraft
store--there are about 60 in the USA, and a kind soul helped me. Got a
starter carving set and 2-3 illustrated magazines, some wood (basswood) and
went to work. My early work was simple, not pretty but got me started on
technique, how to and what not to do. It was also a time to develop what
type of "things" I wanted to do. Chip carving was not for me nor too
detailed; faces still are my nemeses even though I have several articles on
how to do it and have tried some.

I get a lot of joy and satisfaction out of the endeavor.

One thing helping me is that an Uncle carved 40-50 years age and I have two
of his objects which I have sort of copied. Nothing I do is a carbon copy of
anything. I just get a basic design and then improvise. This give you a lot
of latitude when a cut goes wrong and you take too much wood.

One thing I cannot stress too strongly---SAFETY. Get a carving glove and
thumb guard--save lots of trips the emergency room. Also, dust filtration
is very important. Wood fibers will stay in your lungs for ever and cause
all sorts of unnecessary problems.

Hope this brief response will give you some help.

Bill Houdek
m...

Old July 19th 03, 03:25 PM
Rob

There are a lot of kinds of carving. One of the things you will have to do
is decide what kind you want to do. Some people do minatures others do
monumental pieces. There are many different styles and subjects also;
carcature, chip carving and decorative, faces and human forms, animals,
relief carving, carving in the round, et cetera.

Having done that, probably the best way to start is a book and a lesson. As
for books there are lots of good books, for example "How to Carve Wood" by
Richard Butz. For lessons look around for carving clubs on the internet,
community colleges and arts/crafts stores. Stores will often have lessons
and if they don't they may have a bulliten board.

Get some advice and guidance before buying tools. There is no such thing as
a really generic beginers kit; the tools you will need depend on the kind of
work you want to do. Also, you shouldn't need a lot of tools initially
although as you get deeper into it you will be surprised how qucikly your
tool collection grows.

Be safety concious; there are a lot of ways to get hurt.

m...