jewlery show

Old November 17th 04, 03:46 PM
roxan

Default jewlery show

I haven't posted much lately since I have been busy making jewelry for some
shows that I have coming up. I did a show on Monday and Tuesday at a big
company office complex. I should have known when my alarm didn't go off in
the morning that it wasn't going to be my day. Thank God for the men who
were outside cleaning up leaves that I heard the beeping of their truck or I
would have really been late. I got to the office and the girl that normally
takes care of the craft shows couldn't do it this time so she assigned it
to some boob who didn't advertise the show nor have the correct number of
tables I needed.

In the frenzy of getting everything out of my car, I locked my keys, purse,
cell phone and jewelry in the car when I went in with another load of
jewelry. There I was looking at my keys sitting right where I put them at
the back of the hatch. I had to call my husband at work to come out and
unlock my car. I have a great guy who left his work and came out to unlock
my car without giving me a load of **** about it since he has done this more
times than I have.

I would like to say that the day went better but it was the worst show I
have ever done, I did take a good book with me which helped. Tuesday was a
little better thank heavens, but I am just ****ed that the person in charge
of this craft show didn't do her work. We have all informed them if this
happens again we will not come back. It was a waste of my time and energy.
Thanks for letting me rant a little.
Roxan

Old November 17th 04, 03:59 PM
Beadseeker

Roxan,
Sorry about your show.
Craft show sales are down this year, but for me, it's not as bad as it was
last year.
I have noticed that many long time crafters are no longer at shows they have
done for years. I'm afraid that crafts will die out, at least in this area.
The price of supplies are going up, but sales are not keeping up with the price
of supplies.
The other problem we have here is a glut of people who bring in "handcrafted
in Thailand" jewelry and sell it as their own. The last juried show I did
someone had a table of merchandise where the jewelry type boxes were clearly
marked "product of Scotland". I complained at set up, they were still there
the next day selling.
Patti
Old November 17th 04, 05:06 PM
roxan

I know what you mean. I see the same thing all the time. They say on the
contract that it must be handmade by you and I still see imported junk from
China and elsewhere. If the craft show promoters what to keep the crafts up
they have to put their foots down and mean no imports and make these people
take the non crafted items off the stands. Some shows do this but not near
enough to make the people who do this pay the price for deception.
Roxan

Old November 18th 04, 07:29 AM

So sorry your show was disappointing. Here's hoping the next one is
much better.

Heather