OT - kinda - broken glass story

Old November 18th 04, 04:15 AM
Kalera Stratton

The woman who posted this is absolutely credible; this is really
happening to her. However, the women who filed suit is quite certainly a
crackpot.

You can lose a finger in an accident if you are wearing a ring of any
kind. The fact that it was glass is irrelevant. Hopefully the court will
find this to be so, as well. (A glass ring may even be safer, depending
on the type of accident, because it will shatter rather than compress
your finger.)

There is no way the woman could have not known the ring was glass; that
point is moot. She's a psycho trying to get back at Jenn for filing NPB.
She's claiming that the ring was sent as retribution for an unpaid
auction... an auction which hadn't even happened yet.

She probably expects Jenn to settle the suit, because if it goes to
court it will get thrown out and Jenn will be able to counter-sue for
legal expenses.

If you ask me, losing her finger was probably karmic balance for some
other vile thing she'd perpetrated. This is not the kind of thing good
people do.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

VManes wrote:
I got this third hand, allegedly posted on Wet Canvas.
Anyone else see or follow this story? Does it have any credibiltiy? I'll
comment at end.

~~~~~quote~~~~
warning to those who make/sell Glass Rings

I was served yesterday with a lawsuit seeking 1/2 million dollars in damages
from a former customer of mine. She had purchased a glass ring from me in
May of this year. A ring that she wore every day, per her own account. In
August, she was involved in a car accident and suffered numerous injuries,
one of which was the loss of a finger. The impact of the accident and
whatever happened there after caused the ring to shatter and severed her
finger.

I'm not sure if there was anything I could have done to avoid this, I do
send a card with each ring advising that it is glass and there is a
possibility of breakage if not taken care of properly, she is claiming to
have received nothing and that she didn't know it was glass. Her attorney is
accusing me of malicious intent to injur because she didn't pay for an
auction that she had won and I filed a NPB (two months after she had won and
raved about the ring)

Anyway, this is my problem and will be my financial ruin when all is said
and done, I just wanted to warn all of you, I would hate to see anyone go
through what I am about to. My advice if you make them, stop....if you sell
them, stop....don't jeopardize yourself. Contact the customers who have
purchased them from you and either get them back or have them sign a waiver.
PROTECT YOURSELF!!!!

Please, if you know of any artists that are not WC members and make or sell
glass rings, please let them know!
~~~~~~end quote~~~~~~~~~~

If this is for real, I've got two things to say to the "injured" woman.
IT'S A GLASS RING - GLASS BREAKS!!!!
And unless you make your living as a surgeon or pianist or some such, a
finger is not worth $1/2M - check your AD&D policy - they probably pay
little or nothing for a single finger. Go buy a cup of McDonald's coffee.

Val

Old November 18th 04, 04:22 AM
Kalera Stratton

Your work is gorgeous, Emmet... I got sucked in and had to check out
everything!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Emmett wrote:

I make and sell lots of glass rings, I would tell anyone suing me to screw
off and I'd have an expensive lawyer do the same. Good luck to the artist
with the lawsuit, I'm sure it will get bounced out of court. Pics of my
rings are viewable at www.emmettsglass.com under the rings page. All my work
is boro and I've had no complaints since I started making the rings and only
1 story of breakage and they were wearing 2 glass rings and clapped. My mom
seems to have a knack for breaking my work I give her.

Old November 18th 04, 04:50 AM
Cheryl

Yes, I know this artist. And yes, it is unfortunately a real story

ewwwww
Poor Jenn....

well - I never did like that sort of lawyer...

I hope she has a good lawyer...
this is - unfortunately - a good example of why even ARTISTS should
a. incorporate (protects personal assets)
b. have business insurance....

sigh --
Poor Jenn

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old November 18th 04, 05:51 AM
Mystified One

Replies are in-line

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
The woman who posted this is absolutely credible; this is really happening
to her. However, the women who filed suit is quite certainly a crackpot.

You can lose a finger in an accident if you are wearing a ring of any
kind. The fact that it was glass is irrelevant. Hopefully the court will
find this to be so, as well. (A glass ring may even be safer, depending on
the type of accident, because it will shatter rather than compress your
finger.)

As I said, the accident caused the loss of the finger, not the ring. To
claim that she was malicious or indifferent is idiotic.

She probably expects Jenn to settle the suit, because if it goes to court
it will get thrown out and Jenn will be able to counter-sue for legal
expenses.

If you're going to sue, you should be smart enough to sue someone with
money. Otherwise, you're wasting all your time and money on lawyers. It's
no wonder we've got a lawyer shortage in this country!

If you ask me, losing her finger was probably karmic balance for some
other vile thing she'd perpetrated. This is not the kind of thing good
people do.

I disagree with you there. Bad things do happen to good people. The ones I
love most often die before those who have done serious wrongs. Trust me on
this. As much as we dislike to say it, this woman who was in the accident
was in some way a victim. She didn't want to lose her finger, but she is
wrong in who she blames for what occurred. It's just a shame she has to
blame her loss on someone else.

Maybe this artisan would like to sell me a ring? I'll wear it with
confidence! And maybe I can say this because I drive defensively and
haven't been in an accident since I was 17. But should I ever lose a
finger, may it not impede my sewing, and may I never blame the wrong party.

Old November 18th 04, 08:25 AM
Emmett

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
Your work is gorgeous, Emmet... I got sucked in and had to check out
everything!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Thanks for your compliments, Kalera. I'll look at your stuff after I get
done with my emails.

Old November 18th 04, 01:28 PM
Diana Curtis

Its a relatively new product, Attack Glass, by Acme. Road Runner is in for a
big surprise next time he meets up with Wiley.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
As a third party who knows none of the people in this incident, I
would like to know one thing: How is it POSSIBLE to maliciously
design a ring that will "go off" years later, amputating a finger?
And at the exact moment of a car accident, too?

If it is possible, could someone please tell me how? I have a few
people I'd like to present with these delayed explosion rings. My
old PCP and Su's Horrible Siblings come to mind. :-)

This is one of the more ridiculous lawsuits I've heard about. If I
were picked for a jury for this one, I'd laugh my head off and
probably get busted for not maintaining the dignity of the court.

Kathy N-V

Old November 18th 04, 02:04 PM
Su/Cutworks

Kathy N-V wrote:

As a third party who knows none of the people in this incident, I
would like to know one thing: How is it POSSIBLE to maliciously
design a ring that will "go off" years later, amputating a finger?
And at the exact moment of a car accident, too?

That's one good glass worker? Naah, it's one greedy insurance company,
lawyer or plaintiff.

If it is possible, could someone please tell me how? I have a few
people I'd like to present with these delayed explosion rings. My
old PCP and Su's Horrible Siblings come to mind. :-)

Oooh, yes please!

This is one of the more ridiculous lawsuits I've heard about. If I
were picked for a jury for this one, I'd laugh my head off and
probably get busted for not maintaining the dignity of the court.

Me too.

One problem is that there is a punishment available for frivolous lawsuits
but many attorneys won't use it as they don't want to be seen as the bad guy
in the lawyer fraternity. And despite the number of women in the
profession, it's still an 'old boy's' kingdom.

I think that it's a shame the good lawyers out there won't act to clean up
the act of the profession in general. It makes them all look bad.

-Su