Good News , no bad reactions to knitting in train +oooops

Old January 27th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Good News , no bad reactions to knitting in train +oooops

Well Ng , yesterday i took a train that was so full i had to stand
part of the way , luckily i
[ooooops it went to you on it`s own ???]
Luckily i found a place top lean and knitted standing till the stop
where some people got out and i found a place to sit.
knitted quite some rows .
Met my Colleague in Tel Aviv and she took me to the Tel Aviv Street
Nahalat Benjamin which is the Fabric center of the country. It is a
sahme but i haven`t been there for 40 years when it wasn`t so dense
with fabric shops ,,, we saw WONDERFUL embroidered [ hand ] fabrics
with beads and gold and silver , and all the rainbow colors ,,
Fantasia on earth , and a manufastation about the bad economical
situation in the world ,, [ less money more glitter] ...
i bought myself a hand embroidered silk piece , for a skirt for the
exhibition opening ... it was a left over piece thus i got an
affordable price.
I had no time to exoplore all the Fabric pallaces , had to hurry to
see the art work ,,,,but i know where i will travel soon ...
mirjam

Old January 27th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

David is lucky that I didn't know about Nahalat Benjamin street when I
was in Tel Aviv - I suspect he liked our walk on the waterfront better
but I would have been very tempted to stroll down that street with many
detours in to look at fabric! I noticed in Turkey as well there would
be concentrations of certain kinds of goods on certain streets - my
older son would have been fascinated by the street there that had store
after store of musical instruments and related equipment. That is a
tradition I am not familiar with here - but it may be the case in our
larger eastern cities, though I haven't spent enough time in them to
know about that. I do know that we found an area in Toronto that had
all sorts of fiber/fabric/ etc things - and it was really fun to
explore.

Old January 27th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mirjam,

It sounds as if you had a nice time looking at the fabrics. I have
never crocheted on a train standing up so hats off to you for knitting
standing up on a train!

I have crocheted on a bus! sitting down!
Diane

Old January 28th 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Oh Judy i had to giggle when you said Davivd is lucky with you not
knowing about this street.... ::: i hope you don`t mind my giggles.

OF course in Haifa i am much aware of the places where i can get or
look at Fabric Heavens. Tel Aviv is less known to me, and all it takes
is an Hour`s train ride. As you know my friend Haya has her secret
shops in Jerushalyim....
I think in Older times in- Europe, same merchants also kept to the
same streets. In many European towns you find streets that are called
" shoe makersstreet, Butcher`s street etc... it makes sense, since
people had no cars or came from afar by cart and horse or walked,,,,
thus they could go from one shop to the other compare prices qualities
and tastes...
What kind of Musician is your son?, My daughter is a Barouque
Recordist .
I think i would have liked A street Music shops, when i was in Spain
and promised my daughter to buy her Castanietes, but not the Tourist
type ,, she wanted the `real thing` ,,,,, I stayed with my father, in
a small town , he took me on a day trip to a Bigger city and we looked
for Music shops ,,, once there , the man seemed reluctant to sell me a
good pair [ and my fathe speaks Spanish] ,,,,, untill i got frustrated
and started to demonstate that my daughter was a Recordist who played
this and that , and i said she wanted Proffesionala castanjetas ,,
suddemnly he got interested in selling ,,,, we were invited to a back
room with Closets full of any Casstanjettas i could imagine ,, he
picked several up and asked me to try and play them ,,,, i bought 2
pairs for their sounds . He was the 4th shop we visited each in other
part of the town ,,,,,
I must say i like it when you can go into one shop , get imopressed go
to another and another ,,,,, have your coffee and thoughts and than
return to the one that seems Best suited to your needs....
Ps , for you next visit ,, it is very close to the sea front ,,,,
i am really sorry i could not come to meet you ,,, hopefully there
will be a second chance
mirjam

Old January 28th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Diane i had a Heavenly time looking at those fabrics and ribbons
etc,,, besides the piece of cloth i also bought a decorative ribbon ,
i may adorn something with ,, 1 meter foe 2 $ ,, a bit much , but
worth the beauty of it ,,,,esp now i am in the Adorning mood..
Made myself a new Light blue desert coat, and first thought putting a
zip on it...while the edges were adorned with Zigzag [ rickrack] ,
when trying it on i understood the zip ruined the look the feel,,,,
the lot. Off went the zip, and at first i though finnishing the front
with same Zigzag ,, than it occured to me that another kind of ribbon
would be more interesting .... now i have to finnish the matching
skirt....Maybe i should try for Feb 18th, when we have an Huge Opening
day ,, In the morning we join an opening of 3 quilters in Seamgallery
in Megadim. Than at midday many will join us traveling to Um-El -Fahem
were a group Exhibition of Fiber and fiber related works is shown [
among them 5 of my works] Than in the Evening Haifa Museum opens the
first Exhibition curated by a new curator. Whose work i admired
before. Noblesse Oblige or rather Artists oblige me to dress up
nice for such occasions... Lihgt woolen Light blue Skirt with matching
`desert style coat` ,,, skirt stays as is ,, coat can be a bit
adorned...This will be my 3rd desert coat , i like the cut, it fits me
and the weather ,, it is just a more sophistacated Poncho ,,,,I added
a Hood to this one .
As to satndinf and knitting , i taught this to myself, in the years we
had Daily inflation and stood daily 1-2 hours in line in the
banks.....It kept me from getting nervous,,,
Only thing is in a train you have to find aleaning point for your
back. Sometimes i sit on the floor if the floor is clean enough or
covered with a rug ,,, One learns to adjust. and the pleasure of
achieving some progress in the work is very healthy...
mirjam

Old January 28th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thank you Katherine ,, i thought it more an eagerness to get on with
my knitting and hating to waste all this time,,,,, [ not,to mention
that this sweater already has a set back because of some ripping ,,, ]

mirjam

Now, that's dedication!.

Higs,
Katherine

Old January 28th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mirjam, what is a desert coat? I've never seen one. Do you have a pic?? :-)

--
In Star love and friendship,
Norma Woods

Old January 28th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Mirjam, I see Norma has already asked about your Desert coat and I would
like to add my curiosity. Your described as resembling a poncho which I
take to mean it has no sleeves. How long is it and what kind of fabric did
you use?

--
Jan in MN

Old January 28th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Norma !!!
A desert coat ,, is called so beciause it is the kind of coat Bedouins
wear ,, made neater and more delicate by fashion people ,,,
i will try and describe it ,,,make a drawing on paper and you might
see it before you eyes.
I take a piece of Wool [ or linen] they are usually 150 cm wide [
about the lenght from cuff tocuff] . The length is your wanted length
, measure down from your shoulder to wanted length and double it. now
fold in half so that both cut sides meet.and fold again length wise so
that both folded self sides meet,
pin several pins to hold in place . Measure on the selfedge from the
Middle [shoulder] fold the width of the sleeve ...20 cm = sleeve is
folded hence it will 40 cm. Now look at the under side the cut
sides,, measure from the fold to the sides 65 cm. measure from the
side point 10 cm up on the self side, take a seamsters caryon and mark
this point than use the crayon and make a curve towards the middle
this will be you hem. now make a line from the end of the sleeve 40
cm inwards towards the armpit ,,, measure 36 cm from the fold and
start it at the line coming from the sleeve, downwards . From the
meeting point of those 2 lines , measure 15 cm back towards the sleeve
edge [point A] , and measure 15 cm on the down way towards the cut
edges,, [pont B] make a curved line from A to B ,, Now make a line
from B to the upper curved edge of your hem ..
measure 15 cm up from this meeting point and make a mark ,,
you have marked the Cuff to hem line
now pay atention to the neck opening ,, decided which side is your
back and make a mark 3 cm under the fold . make another mark 7.5 cm on
the fold away from the middle draw a curved line . from the fold to
the middle mark trn over and make a mark 10 cm in the middle and make
a curved line from the shoulder side mark of 7,5 cm , draw a curve
from shoulder to front mark ,,,,
Turn over and cut from slleve cuff through the curved armpit towards
the the end of the [curved up ] hem .. fold open so that you see the
neck head mark and cut it out TAKING Care that it is lower in the
front and higher in the back Thus you must keep the fold in lenght CUT
Middle of the front ,,,
You may decide to curve the front into a V neck ,,, or leave it as is
[ round neck].
Fold again on the shoulder line , [fold each sleeve in the length of
the sleeve Pin in place an sew from cuff to the 15 cam over the hem
mark ,, turn and zigzag back ,,, do the same on other cuff to mark
over hem .
Now you can decided if you finnish it with A bias inside unseen , or
over the edge or with any way you like ,,, side slits are for beter
movement , curve them so that you can finnish the hem neatly with the
2 slits ,, Front openening and neck openinng can be finnished as you
wish as well .... , close with a neck frog or with abelt .
I am sorry i dont know how to draw it ...
i hope my description helps ..
it is basicly a big wide trapez with a curved hem.base connected to a
yoke + sleeve ...
mirjam