Bead Loom

Old June 1st 05, 01:00 AM
Beanieme99

Default Bead Loom

Hello Everyone, my name is Shawnda I have 2 bead looms one is a belt
loom, I have made patches and straps, but my question is when I get the
beading done and I take it off the loom and I am ready to hand sew it
to felt and then that to leather what kind of needel and thread do I
need to use to hand sew it together. if you know if any web sites that
show one being hand sew or some that are done that I can see really
close up it would be helpful I have only been beadweaving on a loom for
about 3 months now.

Thanks for all the info

Shawnda

Old June 1st 05, 02:52 AM
Dr. Sooz

Welcome, Shawnda! I wish I could help you, but I do only off-loom
weaving. I don't know anything about loom work. However, maybe I can
help you (someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!)...... I use a size
12 beading needle for most of my off-loom work. That might be exactly
what you need. They're delicate, so buy the big pack. They will snap
and bend. You just pull out a new needle and keep going.

Old June 1st 05, 04:12 AM
Michele Goudie

"Beanieme99" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello Everyone, my name is Shawnda I have 2 bead looms one is a belt
loom, I have made patches and straps, but my question is when I get the
beading done and I take it off the loom and I am ready to hand sew it
to felt and then that to leather what kind of needel and thread do I
need to use to hand sew it together. if you know if any web sites that
show one being hand sew or some that are done that I can see really
close up it would be helpful I have only been beadweaving on a loom for
about 3 months now.

Thanks for all the info

For starters, you can get leather needles at a fabric store such as JoAnn's.
A leather needle has a tri-point, which pierces through the leather. The
package should have one small enough for what you're doing. Look for the
upholstery package, the one with a couple of curved needles in it.

You don't necessarily need to stitch the beadwork to felt, that's your
decision. You can stitch directly to the leather. And you can use whatever
thread you like. If you're using Nymo for the loomwork, you can use it to
stitch to the leather.

I don't know if they're in print anymore, but "Beads to Buckskins" is
probably your best bet on a complete "how-to" guide for what you're trying
to do. She may mention using artificial sinew for sewing the beadwork to
the leather. Don't feel you need to find it. While you can get artificial
sinew easily, it's more for authenticity than strength.

Michele

Old June 1st 05, 05:08 AM
Beanieme99

thanks for the info you guys give better advice then Yahoo groups do

Thanks again
Shawnda

Old June 1st 05, 05:12 AM
Beanieme99

thanks for the info once I got done with the bead work I am going to
make straps and going to hand sew them to bow quivers to the leather
strap so that is why I was asking about the sewing part because was not
sure what to use and yes I do use Nymo thread and I will go and get
some leather needles Do you think wal-mart would sale leather needled I
live in a small town, I am in Tx

Thanks again Michele you have been a big help

do you know of any web sites that would show me some pic

Shawnda

Old June 1st 05, 07:40 AM
mermaidscove_com

I second that you need to find leather needles. If for some reason you
can't the next best thing is a quilting sharp which are slightly easier
to find. They are short and sturdy so less inclined to break but you
will still get sore hands trying to push them through. Leather needles
are the best thing. I also find a finger gaurd or thimble relly helps,
I tended to stab my fingers a lot working with leather.

Do you have a Tandy leather there? The local one here is closed but I
don't know if they all did, used to be easy to find them.

Ingrid
http://www.mermaidscove.com

Old June 1st 05, 08:54 PM
Christina Peterson

I'm sure Tandy's would have a variety of leather needles, and I know they
have a website somewhere. You also might be able to get them by searching
eBay. I would very much doubt that Walmart would carry leather needles,
especially in smaller sizes.

From my experience, and for future reference, it's surprising how much you
can find in small towns. But you might have to ask around quite a bit.
Also, small towns often have non-chain stores that will special order things
for you. (Eg, One of the beaders here, VickiJ, gets her Swarovski crystals
at Ace Hardware.) I have found more sources here in Fairbanks, Alaska,
30,000 pop. If I needed leather needles, I'd go to the Native Arts store,
or to Alaska Raw Fur, which surprisingly also sells beads. Do you have any
business in town that does leather work (shoes, biker leathers, purses,
knife sheaths)?

Another option is to go to the next biggest town and check out what they
carry. The next biggest town to me is Anchorage, almost 400 miles away.
Black Elk has a much better selection of beads at much better prices, great
rocks and gemstones, and also sells leather supplies. By going there, I can
identify what items I want and order from there, or from on line. I can
also call them up and they can figure out what I need and send it to me.

Tina

ups.com...

Old June 1st 05, 09:36 PM
Peggy

30,000 pop.

Heh...around here we call that The Big City!

:-p

Old June 2nd 05, 08:14 AM
Christina Peterson

Sure, but I'll bet you have something bigger within less than 380 miles
(that's 7 hours each direction.. It's not that Fairbanks is so tiny, It's
that it's isolated and quite small, AND there is not the option of other
places to shop without a two day trip. Heck, we don't even have a bank in
Fairbanks that is also "Outside".

Tina

Old June 2nd 05, 01:28 PM
Peggy

LOL That's what happens when I try to tease you.

Yes, there's a bead store about 4 hours from here. Lots of lovely cotton
fields between here and there, too.

:-)