Need to change colour of the quilt top

Old January 27th 04, 04:29 AM
Eli

Yeah - I really like Layout #2.

Gina in IL
Old January 27th 04, 04:31 AM
Eli

Yeah - on second thought, take Julia's advice. Sometimes if you let it
sit for a day or so, the solution just comes to you.

Good luck - Gina in IL
Old January 27th 04, 08:35 AM
Patti

Hullo Ann
I really did like version 1; but, if you want the blue to really
dominate, then version 2 will be better for you. I do think version 2
is really beautiful. I love it. Funnily enough, it is not because of
the change in colour domination that I like it so much, but for the fact
that the rather obvious horizontal 'lines' of colour are gone. I
realised that was just the pattern - the rows I mean - but perhaps it
did seem rather regimented?
If you've got enough blues to do it this way, it will be stunning.
..
In article iggRb.16648$5D.3826@clgrps13, Ann
writes
Thanks Kathy. I've re-arranged as you have suggested and posted another
picture. It sure made a difference. The green and brown are not so over
powering this way.
What do you think? Any more changes?

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

"Kathy in CA" wrote in message
I like all your colors but they do all vie for attention equally. How

about
placing a blue block between each green and each brown--would that make

the
blue stand out more? Try that and post another pic.
Kathy in CA

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 27th 04, 04:07 PM
Ann

So you think it was the layout? And not the colours that just didn't grab
me? I think I need to set up a large design wall and play around with
layouts for a couple weeks and get a better design way.

.

Old January 27th 04, 06:08 PM
Sandy Foster

In article AReRb.19144$A7.15280@edtnps84,
"Ann" wrote:

Hi all
I haven't had time to read posts here for probably about a week. Not sure
if I will ever catch up you've been so busy

I've posted a few pictures of the quilt I am working on.....log cabin
florentine pattern. It's just "ok" The greens are all wrong I believe.
The browns block I can live with but even they are just a bit "off" It
seems to me that the green becomes the colour that jumps out at you and it
is the blues that I want to be the main colour.

So what do you suggest? Get rid of the green blocks? What colour in place
of the greens? I really really need some suggestions please.

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

I guess I saw this late, but I love it! I'm not a green lover -- prefer
blues -- but your second layout is wonderful. There's enough green to be
interesting, but the blues and browns predominate. Really lovely!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
my ISP is earthlink.net -- put s-foster@ in front
Old January 27th 04, 06:45 PM
Patti

Hullo Ann
Yes, I think it might have been, because the colours are very beautiful.
You liked the pattern when you saw it, but, as we have so often said,
patterns/quilts do change with different colours. Put the borders on
the wall, too, if you can, so that you get the full impact of the
'blueness'.
Then, if you change the layout and don't need all the greens and browns
for the quilt, you can make pillow shams!!!
..
In article f1wRb.18826$P51.6584@clgrps12, Ann
writes

Old January 27th 04, 07:12 PM
Pat in Virginia

Ragmop is right. I was thinking the same thing, so I am glad she
stated this so well. I'd either take out the brown blocks or I'd
change the speckled brown logs on outer position. If you still
want to include the brown blocks, perhaps you could find another,
more suitable fabric for that #4 position. To try it out, just
cut about 4 logs and lay those on top of what you have now,
stand back and consider the effect. If you like it, go ahead and
rip and sew. If not, not much lost. Then do the same for the
green light square. BTW: I like the second layout better than the
first one.
HTH. PAT in VA/USA

Ann wrote:

I know what you mean about the browns. But, when I first started making the
blocks I sewed brown #3 and #4 (darkest) the other order and it just didn't
look right. My #4 is speckled, probably too much so for being a #4, but the
very darkest speckles were too dark to be #3. So, this order looked the
best although it didn't flow.
Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

" Ellison" wrote in message
y.com...
Howdy!
Your green blocks don't have a "light" center as the others do,
making it "more green." The brown blocks have a light outer log;
I'd change that, putting the 3rd strip which is much darker, on the
outer side. The green blocks are surrounded by
dark green and dark blue which emphasize the green blocks;
if the blue and the brown were surrounded by dark outer logs,
they would have the same color value as the green w/ a
light green center.
Recap g: a light center for the green (my favorite color)
and the darker brown on the outer edge.

Old January 28th 04, 06:10 AM
Butterfly

You have a camera--take pix of the different layouts--if you have a
printer--print them out--put the pix up on the Design Wall and walk away.

Next day come back and see which one grabs YOU..take THAT pix off the wall
and see what one comes in second.

NOW-put those 2 pixs up for US to see and let us vote once again--and see
how close we are to your choice ; )

HTH
Butterfly (then go with the ONE you like the most---it is YOUR quilt.... ya
know vbg )

Old January 29th 04, 06:23 PM
Dr. Quilter

to tell you the truth, I like photo 12 just fine.

cozy wrote:

I don't really have an answer for you.... but I kind of think it looks like
stained glass in jewel tones - kind of neat to me. On the first small
amount of blocks that you have there seems to be the light blue that is used
around the edges, that does make the blue stand out more, for me... then
maybe that dark blue in the edge of the blue log cabins for a border or
binding?

--
email: change the word cozy to cozyhomelife and change the word netscape to
net

Ann wrote in message

Hi all
I haven't had time to read posts here for probably about a week. Not sure
if I will ever catch up you've been so busy

I've posted a few pictures of the quilt I am working on.....log cabin
florentine pattern. It's just "ok" The greens are all wrong I believe.
The browns block I can live with but even they are just a bit "off" It
seems to me that the green becomes the colour that jumps out at you and it
is the blues that I want to be the main colour.

So what do you suggest? Get rid of the green blocks? What colour in

place

of the greens? I really really need some suggestions please.

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old January 30th 04, 06:33 PM
Denise Jameson

me too!! :-)

Denise in Ontario, Canada

(who generally HATES browns....but somehow THIS quilt is wonderful!)