Do you wash finished quilty projects before giving?

Old November 26th 03, 04:31 PM
Kim E

Yes, I always wash everything before giving it away.
1. The markings come out
2. Any soil from my hands while I was carting it around wilil be
removed
3. We have no QI's due to allergies, but dander from QI's can REALLY
cause problems for allergic recipients.
4. Any shrinkage from washing will be done before giving, so what they
see at first is the way the item will stay.

I prewash all my fabrics in hypoallergic laundry detergent because the
sizing bothers me, so I don't have to worry about the colors. That,
however, might be an issue if you don't prewash.

Kim

"Ann" wrote in message news:8eXwb.163953$jy.32344@clgrps13...
Hi there
I've been so busy sewing gifts for Christmas I have had very little time to
even read the posts here.

I've been making table runners for Christmas gifts. I have several
completed. One is for a birthday, 99.9% completed and ready for giving on
Friday.

I haven't prewashed any of the fabric. However, should I wash/rinse before
giving away? They way I see it, if it's washed gently, any light soiling by
hands will come out, plus, any mistakes i.e. little flaws (heaven forbid)
can be corrected before giving.

Do you wash? Or not?

Ann

Old November 26th 03, 05:14 PM
Lisa Ellis

I wash everything:

1) I have two cats, who think every quilt is theirs.
2) I use air earable markers and I want to remove any residue.
3) I like the look of a washed quilt. I usually use a batting that will
shrink slightly, because I am after the effect it will give,
i.e.old-fashioned. The relationship between the fabric and the quilting
changes and is highlighted by washing the quilt.

lisae

Old November 26th 03, 06:01 PM
Kathy in CA

I would wash a quilt before giving but not smaller
projects--tablerunners/mats/WH. I prewash fabric for quilts but not
necessarily for table runners and other sm projects
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old November 26th 03, 07:27 PM
Roberta Zollner

All quilt gifts meant to be washable are labeled as such, and they go in the
machine before giving. As you say, it cleans up the effects of hand labor,
and it also lets the recipient see it as it really is -a bit crinkly :-)
Roberta in D

Old November 26th 03, 08:19 PM
The Brown Family

Personally, for a table runner, I wouldn't wash it. I prefer a runner to
look smooth and flat, rather than bumpy and soft like a quilt.

Lorraine

Old November 26th 03, 11:53 PM
melinda

Jalynne wrote:
i definitely wash. I have a cat, and not all my giftees can handle cat hair on
quilts. Also, although I always prewash, i want to double check that nothing is
going to run. The other reason is to take out all my quilting marks.

Dye runs? Isn't that what Dye Magnets and Colour Catchers are for? :-)

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old November 27th 03, 01:16 AM
Ann

Thanks all for the input. As always it's personal preference to wash or not
to wash.
I think I will wash though.

Ann

Old November 27th 03, 04:05 AM
kim in cville va

Yup, I wash too and this is why, for gifts. And that I like the soft
wrinkly texture, for ones we'll keep...but there haven't been any of those
yet. I swear I'm gonna stick a quilt for me in that pipeline somewhere...
kim in cville va

"jules" wrote in message
I would wash if I were you, if nothing else sometimes when you wash the
quilts change in appearance slightly and you don't want the recipients
panicking thinking they have done something wrong while washing it because
it looks so different after washing

--
Jules

Old November 27th 03, 03:04 PM
Maureen Wozniak

Yes, I generally wash before I give. For the same reasons you just
mentioned. Plus, it gives it that nice, puckery, old-fashioned look.

Maureen