Forums & Newsgroups

Old July 25th 03, 10:27 PM
EGNeedler

Default Forums & Newsgroups

But the last two or three years, there has been considerable softening.
It may be that we're learning better how to cope with Internet
writing, styles, ways of framing questions and answers.

I have to disagree with you here, Dianne. In my opinion, and as just one
person, it seems that quite a few people tend to give quick retorts to messages
with which they don't agree and sometimes with a great deal of sarcasm. I can
see where many who are fairly new to RCTN could be threatened by this. Those
of us who have been here for a while have the responsibility to set the tone
and make it a welcome place to come and learn more about needlework.

Eleanor the Elder

Old July 26th 03, 03:16 AM
Cathy Collins

I know I stated this earlier, but I really appreciate the opinions and views
of members who have been here for a while in helping to get used to the
atmosphere here. BG

I came in at a rather verbal, and sometimes nasty, time with the whole
"Garden" thread going on and it's nice to know that, much like society in
general, this is a microcosm where people have their disagreements, but we
still have the common denominator of our love for needlework and learning
more about it.

Cathy in Wisconsin

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in
I said:
"But the last two or three years, there has been considerable softening.
It may be that we're learning better how to cope with Internet writing,
styles, ways of framing questions and answers."

To which Eleanor the Elder responded:
"I have to disagree with you here, Dianne. In my opinion, and as just
one person, it seems that quite a few people tend to give quick retorts
to messages with which they don't agree and sometimes with a great deal
of sarcasm. I can see where many who are fairly new to RCTN could be
threatened by this. Those of us who have been here for a while have the
responsibility to set the tone and make it a welcome place to come and
learn more about needlework."

I don't disagree with you . . . but compared to 6/7 years ago, it's a
cakewalk. When I first came on board, you were severely chastised,
including nasty email, if you started posting without introducing
yourself first. Boy, was I ever challenged on THAT one. But I stuck to
my guns. I also remember when the French started posting, there was a
HUGE ruckus, many stating outright they weren't welcome because they
didn't speak English. I was outraged. That wouldn't (doesn't) happen
these days.

Also, I was trying to be, oh . . . how would I say that? . . . if you
keep telling people long enough that they are kind, and they act kindly,
maybe they will be? Silly Pollyanna that I am. big grin

I also noted that these are *my* memories, and I could be totally off
balance. I think we have a looooong way to go (me included), but I DO
think we have COME a long way. We'll get there. We have to have faith
in the media . . . and as you said, keep reminding each other how to
behave. We also have to remember that many of us have "off days", and
we should love one another enough to overlook it to a point.

I'll tell you frankly, without RCTN, I probably would have slit my
throat this past winter. Ya all just kept me going . . . and are STILL
keeping me going. Cat fights and all. :-) Call me shallow if you
will, it was one tough fall/winter/spring. If nothing else, this group
keeps me thinking, learning, and reminding me how to behave better.
What a cultural experience it is. Rich, poor; under educated, top
degrees; cosmopolitan to rural; country to country; culture to culture.
It's a big hurdle, a big gap to overcome. We're gettin' there.

Dianne

Old July 26th 03, 08:43 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I must say Dianne i am very glad you stated that
I also noted that these are *my* memories, and I could be totally off
balance.

And the more so about
I think we have a looooong way to go (me included), but I DO
think we have COME a long way. We'll get there. We have to have faith
in the media .

But i was tottaly amazed by your
... and as you said, keep reminding each other how to
behave.

Since as i remember quite well you are many a time on the `reminding`
others , but not very kin on being reminded ...
But as you say It might be that this are only My memories !!!
At least on this we do agree 100% [grin] Rashumon effect you know !!!
hat many of us have "off days", and
we should love one another enough to overlook it to a point.

Oh yes i saw this double faced behaviour as well , You all may have
off days but some other people aren`t supposed to have them ... please
do apply thise To ALLLLL posters here !!!
I'll tell you frankly, without RCTN, I probably would have slit my
throat this past winter.

I hope you feel better now , hope everything from health to work to
whatever you wish for yourself will be 100% shiny and bright .
If nothing else, this group
keeps me thinking, learning, and reminding me how to behave better.

Hum , Hu, Cough ..... Sorry behave better ,,,, let`s admit it some of
the terminology used here is not considered WELL behaved ..
degrees; cosmopolitan to rural; country to country; culture to culture.
It's a big hurdle, a big gap to overcome. We're gettin' there.

Well dianne let`s hope we do indeed Get there ??? where ever it is you
think ???
mirjam
Old July 26th 03, 01:51 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

[snipped]

In the spirit of friendship and understanding. Some things are best
left unsaid, and some things are best left without a response.

May you have a bright, shiny day. May the peace talks and attempts
continue in a positive direction - all around the world - including RCTN.
Dianne