Dark Fabric Transfer Products

Old February 19th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default Dark Fabric Transfer Products

My sulky white ink transfer pen is in the garbage! I carefully followed
directions to get the ink flowing and the little ball on the tip just won't
move sigh Also, I think the ink might be all dried up. Naturally, I think
there's a design flaw in the pen, not the fact that it's been in a drawer for
more than a year and probably on the shop's shelf for even longer.

Can anyone recommend products that'll allow me to trace/transfer/whatever
designs on to dark fabric?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old February 19th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Feb 19, 10:13*am, anne wrote:
My sulky white ink transfer pen is in the garbage! I carefully followed
directions to get the ink flowing and the little ball on the tip just won't
move sigh Also, I think the ink might be all dried up. Naturally, I think
there's a design flaw in the pen, not the fact that it's been in a drawer for
more than a year and probably on the shop's shelf for even longer.

Can anyone recommend products that'll allow me to trace/transfer/whatever
designs on to dark fabric?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

A silver gel pen works great. I have found they don't run or bleed
into fabrics.

Linda
Old February 19th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"anne" wrote in message
g...
My sulky white ink transfer pen is in the garbage! I carefully followed
directions to get the ink flowing and the little ball on the tip just
won't
move sigh Also, I think the ink might be all dried up. Naturally, I
think
there's a design flaw in the pen, not the fact that it's been in a drawer
for
more than a year and probably on the shop's shelf for even longer.

Can anyone recommend products that'll allow me to trace/transfer/whatever
designs on to dark fabric?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

I'm sure someone will come up with a newer, better idea, but I always used
dressmakers carbon paper. It comes off easily. I suppose you can still
get it either in a fabric store, or a quilt shop.

Lucille

Old February 19th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

lucille wrote:

I'm sure someone will come up with a newer, better idea, but I always
used dressmakers carbon paper. It comes off easily. I suppose you
can still get it either in a fabric store, or a quilt shop.

Lucille

Yes you can, but be careful. There is a new one which proudly says "no
wax", but what they don't tell you is it comes off as a powder which
spreads all over your work. I can use it for marking toiles, but not
for real fabric.

There are quite a number of different marking pencils on the market
these days, just investigate the Notions Wall at JoAnn's.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old February 19th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley

Olwyn Mary wrote:

lucille wrote:

I'm sure someone will come up with a newer, better idea, but I always
used dressmakers carbon paper. It comes off easily. I suppose you
can still get it either in a fabric store, or a quilt shop.

Lucille

Yes you can, but be careful. There is a new one which proudly says "no
wax", but what they don't tell you is it comes off as a powder which
spreads all over your work. I can use it for marking toiles, but not
for real fabric.

There are quite a number of different marking pencils on the market
these days, just investigate the Notions Wall at JoAnn's.

Don't forget to look in the Quilting department -- there are a *lot*
of marking pens/pencils over there.

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Poppies (Art-Stitch), two knitted tops, Oriental Butterfly
Old February 20th 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

I use clover chacopy transfer paper for dark fabrics, it is
wonderful.

http://www.createforless.com/Clover+...c/pid4882.aspx

AsianDoll

Since its my school semester break I have been using my free time
playing games like a href=http://www.gamestotal.com http://www.gamestotal.com
/a a href=http://uc.gamestotal.com http://uc.gamestotal.com /a
a href=http://gc.gamestotal.com http://gc.gamestotal.com /a a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com http://3700ad.gamestotal.com /a
a href=http://manga.gamestotal.com http://manga.gamestotal.com /a
Old February 20th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 2/19/09 11:13 AM, "anne" wrote:

My sulky white ink transfer pen is in the garbage! I carefully followed
directions to get the ink flowing and the little ball on the tip just won't
move sigh Also, I think the ink might be all dried up. Naturally, I think
there's a design flaw in the pen, not the fact that it's been in a drawer for
more than a year and probably on the shop's shelf for even longer.

Can anyone recommend products that'll allow me to trace/transfer/whatever
designs on to dark fabric?

Try good old fashioned tracing paper that is used for tracing patterns.
Instead of using the little wheelie thing, you can use a stylus. I use
graphite paper (Saral) for transferring onto light or mid-tones. But, I
have a bunch of white, yellow paper for doing sewing transfers. You could
also use a chaco pencil, or tailor's chalk - there are tons of thins for
quilt marking - which would work if you're on a light box. The transfer
paper that is used in garment sewing will work if you put your pattern on
top, fabric below, and then the paper can be either between the pattern and
fabric, or below the fabric facing up (depending on how you're going to sew
and like to mark). Any sewing store will have. I've also used metallic
colored pencil to do this.

Ellice

Old February 25th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
J. H. T./B.D.P.

Don't know if this is on the lines of how you like to do the transfer,
but a thought is to use a DARK T-SHIRT TRANSFER SHEET. This is the
item that is for printing designs to be put on t-shirts and things, there
are also ones for light colour backgrounds.

Avery 03279 is the number of the product, it comes in 8.5" x 11" sheets
with 5 sheets per package.

Most ink jet printers [except ones that use heat to print] and graphic
software can be used with the sheets. Avery even gives a program to
print the designs properly from most common graphic file types if you
need it, but it can be done from design programs without it, just have
to remember to reverse the design when you print so that it comes
out the right way when you iron it on the item.

g...

Old February 28th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
J. H. T./B.D.P.

A "waxy" surface! Haven't tried these yet on any thing since they are
for dark items, good to know about the surface left.

I get 'new' paper stock to have on hand to try ideas later. Never thought
the old floppy labels would be good for any thing but at 99 cents, then
found them great for labels on medium-sized storage boxes for my
unwrapped floss that hasn't gotten to cards yet to see what is inside each
case. Was gifted almost every one of the nearly 500 DMC floss colour and
variations in counts from 4 to 12 with an average of 8 each.

"anne" wrote in message
g...
says...
Don't know if this is on the lines of how you like to do the transfer,
but a thought is to use a DARK T-SHIRT TRANSFER SHEET. This is the
item that is for printing designs to be put on t-shirts and things, there
are also ones for light colour backgrounds.

I've used transfer sheets frequently but they leave a 'waxy' surface which
don't want for this project.

I found some white and yellow 'carbon' paper in my stash which I think
I'll use
when I get around to the project -- the beaded and sequined masks from
Kenneth
King's Designer Bead Embroidery. I haven't decided if I want to do them on
the
same piece of ground or do them separately. Decisions, decisions sigh

--
another anne, add ingers to reply