only slightly off topic: knitting

Old March 6th 09, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default only slightly off topic: knitting

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
Gillian Murray wrote:
In Lakeland it was first swans...then a few years later butterfkiues.

I remember driving through BenningtonVT about 3 years back...and there
were moose.

If IIRC earlier that year, going eastwards on the same road..ther were
bear!

Gill

When we lived in Scarborough (North Yorkshire, UK) there was an annual
scarecrow festival in Muston, a small village a few miles outside
Scarborough. The scarecrows were very realistic and pretty well everyone
in the village had a "scene" in their front garden:
http://www.fileymercury.co.uk/filey-tv/Muston-Scarecrow-Festival-is-a.4329820.jp

I remember driving around the Cabot Trail, on Cape Breton in Nova Scotia
a few years back, and there was an attraction....lots and lots of
scarecrows. It was drizzly and cold, and I remember best the good hot
cup of tea I purchased in the cafe!

Gillian
Old March 6th 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gerald & Donna McIntosh

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 3/4/09 1:48 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

ellice wrote:

In Loudoun cty, which is pretty much part of horse country, last year
there
was an artist thing. They had horse sculptures, about the size of a 14
small horse, placed all over the historic area. Different artists
treated
them differently, and it was really interesting and added to the town
of
Leesburg and environs - some of them showed up in truly unexpected
places,
with some wild looks. IIRC they were then auctioned off for charity.
It
was a nice way to beautify with artsy/crafty sort of thing.

Ellice

They've done that in Baltimore a couple of times. First it was crabs,
and another time it was fish. I think Chicago once had cow sculptures
scattered about downtown, each one painted by a different artist and
auctioned for charity.

I love seeing those kind of "community art" projects.

sue

There were whales in Hyannis MA one year. It was fun.

Cheryl

In Lakeland it was first swans...then a few years later butterfkiues.

I remember driving through BenningtonVT about 3 years back...and there
were moose.

If IIRC earlier that year, going eastwards on the same road..ther were
bear!

Gill

In Louisville, they will have horses everywhere again soon...still some
around
from couple years ago...of course the new ones are due to be ready in time
for the Kentucky Derby ( I think). Speaking of the Derby, another day off
the
kids around here in S. Indiana..and the parties for this will be starting
soon.

Donna in S. Indiana

Old March 6th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

lucretia wrote:

Gillian Murray wrote:
[...]

Are you perhaps thinking of the Mahone Bay Scarecrow Festival ? They
do fabulous ones.

Yup, that's the place. I think they keep them out all season, so the
tour buses will stop there. They were fun and whimsical, but I still
enjoyed my cuppa best.
Old March 7th 09, 11:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mumagain[_2_]

--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK

We have one here in Wiltshire UK tht we try to visit every year - this
was last years http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/conte...allery.shtml?1
Jan
Old March 10th 09, 05:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz[_2_]

On Mar 5, 5:51*pm, Gillian Murray wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 3/4/09 1:48 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

ellice wrote:

In Loudoun cty, which is pretty much part of horse country, last year there
was an artist thing. *They had horse sculptures, about the size of a 14 h
[...]

Grants Pass (Oregon, USA) has black bears. Some of them are really
clever.
Liz from Humbug
Old March 12th 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MelissaD

Liz wrote:
On Mar 5, 5:51 pm, Gillian Murray wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 3/4/09 1:48 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:
ellice wrote:
[...]

We've had them here in Elk Grove also - of course they were elks! some
were quite breathtaking!
MelissaD
Old March 17th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Liz wrote:
On Mar 5, 5:51 pm, Gillian Murray wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 3/4/09 1:48 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:
[...]