I really do quilt!

Old September 11th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

Default I really do quilt!

Ok, it's been a long time since I did a happy dance, at least a quilting
happy dance, but get your dancing shoes on! I have just finished the
binding on my "End of the Road" quilt!!!!!

My DH and I went on a vacation to Key West in March of 2001 and had the most
fantabulous time! What a place! Among the sites we visited was the mile
marker "0" for the end of Route 1, a major highway that runs the length of
the entire east coast of the United States. I drove on that dreaded highway
for many years going to and from work so it was fun to see the actual end of
the road. While in Key West, I found a fabric shop that carried lots of
cottons, mostly for garments, but I found some that looked like it would
make a wonderful quilt. Since it came in several colors, I let my DH pick
out the color he liked the best. It was mostly a black and white print with
some butter yellow, dark apple green and hot pink splattered about. I
wanted to fussy cut the fabric to capture some of the graphics in the fabric
so I added blocks using a mottled yellow fabric. The borders were intended
to pull out the green and pink. I also added a small inner border of black
to frame it all. The backing is a black and white graphic which is intended
to represent the "fantasy" atmosphere of the area. I had it machine quilted
by my favorite quilter who used a yellow thread and a gardenia-type pattern,
representative of the area. I love the result! Then I got brave and
decided it needed a fun binding so I decided to look for a striped fabric to
cut on the bias. I found the perfect stripe that contained the colors in
the quilt. I really like how it turned out and decided that bias bindings
are not all that difficult afterall! It is a long lap sized quilt which my
DH has decided fits him to a tee when he watches TV in the family room since
the colors alone will prevent him from falling asleep! I can't argue with
his logic. So, I have posted pix in my webshots album for you to have a
look at my "End of the Road" quilt. Take a look when you get a chance.
Excuse me now, I have some dancing to do! (and the binding to make for
"Gracie's Star" quilt - watch for the pix of that one soon!).

http://community.webshots.com/user/Alice741

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

Old September 11th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Alice:
That is a wonderful quilt. Isn't it such
fun to do the bias striped binding? It
is like adding a candy cane to an
already happy quilt!
PAT, happy dancing in Virginia

AliceW wrote:
Ok, it's been a long time since I did a happy dance, at least a quilting
happy dance, but get your dancing shoes on! I have just finished the
binding on my "End of the Road" quilt!!!!!
...cut... I love the result! Then I got brave and
decided it needed a fun binding so I decided to look for a striped fabric to
cut on the bias. I found the perfect stripe that contained the colors in
the quilt. I really like how it turned out and decided that bias bindings
are not all that difficult afterall! ...cut...

Old September 11th 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

That is a great memento quilt, Alice. Love it!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old September 11th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Dancing in the moonlight for ya, Alice! What a lovely, cheerful quilt!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
-----
www.PlayPianoNow.info

Old September 11th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy in NS

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:46:49 -0400, "AliceW"
wrote:

Ok, it's been a long time since I did a happy dance, at least a quilting
happy dance, but get your dancing shoes on! I have just finished the
binding on my "End of the Road" quilt!!!!!

A wonderful quilt, Alice!

Nancy in NS
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt
Old September 11th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dixie

Dancing for you in the blueberry patch.
Dixie in NB.

When I give to you something I made with my hands I share my heart.

Old September 11th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

AliceW wrote:

Ok, it's been a long time since I did a happy dance, at least a quilting
happy dance, but get your dancing shoes on! I have just finished the
binding on my "End of the Road" quilt!!!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/Alice741

Oooooh! What a nice cheerful quilt!
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!