sample of what I hope to be my first quilt

Old September 1st 06, 09:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

Default sample of what I hope to be my first quilt

I have sat up tonight scanning the material then drawing out in paint
shop pro what I hope my first quilt will look like. The link to it is
here. Not the best but it took me two hours to get this far, more
epxlainations on the page itself. I promise this is not porn, well
unless I get hacked into and someone changes all my index files.

http://www.mountain-breeze.com/quilt/

Now this is not the actually quilt put together it is just a drawing
using the squares. I am not sure how big I am going to make this but
I have something like 200 5" squares just like this. So I can just
about go as big as I want with using sashing, but I am actually
thinking of making my twin cousins, 5 years old doll quilts out of it.
So I am not sure what size it needs to be.

Please go gently on me, this is my first put together .

Jacqueline
http://www.mountain-breeze.com
Recipes and other fun things
Old September 1st 06, 10:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

It does look good, Jacqueline.
You might find it easier to make your sashing 1" wide. This mock-up
looks like half an inch? That would not be easy on yourself! Also, it
would be much easier to do without cornerstones, and they are certainly
not necessary. Putting them in entails a lot of seam matching, which
might take more time than they are worth, at this stage. I would just
go with the sashing (the yellow is fine - really 'lifts' the blue, a
traditional partner of yellow).
It's going to look lovely.
If your cousins are in the same family, it might be a good idea to do
the sashing in different colours, to differentiate between them.
Perhaps yellow for one, as you have done; and red for the other? or even
Mickey's black!
..
In message , Jacqueline
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 1st 06, 10:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita in MA

Very cute! Your cousins will love their doll quilts. Are the blocks
done as individual ones in your program? I'm wondering if you can
experiment with arranging them differently so that you get different
patterns emerging. I'm not saying this well. :-( When I look at what
you have shown us, I see strong vertical lines because of the color
placement. I'm wondering if you can play with shifting the blocks
around to see what happens.

Rita L. - quitting before I get too far behind on this.

Old September 1st 06, 10:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

it looks like you are well on your way to making a nice quilt - I'd wait
with deciding the sashing till you have all the blocks made, as real life
and computer sometimes differ on opinion. also doing sashing on the bias
will be a nightmare - keep it on the straight of grain - you will otherwise
spend all eternity cursing the quilt ;-)

incidentally: 4 squares of 5" will make a 9" square ( you said 7 1/2"
somewhere else hence my comment)
--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old September 1st 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:48:14 +0200, "Jessamy" jessamy_thompson@_ilove
thecolour_orange.nl wrote:

incidentally: 4 squares of 5" will make a 9" square ( you said 7 1/2"
somewhere else hence my comment)

That is if they were cut 5.25, these were precut and are only 5" so
that is actually going to be a 4.75 block, and you are almost right, I
believe though that it will be a 9.5 block, I was thinking of 4 inch
squares. Heck I don't know I need to go to bed and quit playing with
this stuff. LOL I am trying to quit smoking and they have put me on
a new medicine that just recently came out, called Chantix, the side
effects are no sleep and headaches which I have both and normally I do
not get the side effects of a medication. I figure the headache is
from lack of sleep. Anyway, tomorrow, well today, is my last day to
smoke, you smoke the first few days, then you increase your dosage and
quit. LOL, if I can't sleep on this low dose what will I be like
tomorrow when I start the higher dose? Probably bouncing off walls.

I have quit on my own before, and had my mother lived seven more days
I would have been quit a year, but I figure I would have started back
even if she had lived those seven days so I don't blame her. I
figured I needed to quit for more than one reason, but I smoke outside
and I sure won't get any quilting done if I have to run outside to
smoke and I sure wouldn't smoke around some handiwork I was doing.

You all pray for me that I make it for good this time. I have been
convicted to quit for a long time now and have quit for at least six
months on several occasions. Grrrrrr, why did I start back!

Jacqueline
Old September 1st 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 05:45:22 -0400, Rita in MA wrote:

Rita, I have them done as individual blocks in the program but it is a
graphics program and it would take hours to do it that way. I will
lay it out before I start sewing and decide if I want to move the
blocks around. I have EQ5 but I can't figure out how to do a block
out of squares on it. When I did mine all turned out where you could
only see a little of the fabric, like the blue with the Mickeys, you
could only see the checks in it, so that won't work either but I know
I did something wrong and there has to be a way to make a block to
with your materials and then copy over to the quilt top. I just need
to learn how. I believe this is the most complicate program I have
ever attempted to learn and I have learned lots of programs in my life
time.

Jacqueline

Old September 1st 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

Good idea, they are twins so yes they are in the same family.

Jacqueline

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:22:53 +0100, Patti
wrote:

It does look good, Jacqueline.
You might find it easier to make your sashing 1" wide. This mock-up
looks like half an inch? That would not be easy on yourself! Also, it
would be much easier to do without cornerstones, and they are certainly
not necessary. Putting them in entails a lot of seam matching, which
might take more time than they are worth, at this stage. I would just
go with the sashing (the yellow is fine - really 'lifts' the blue, a
traditional partner of yellow).
It's going to look lovely.
If your cousins are in the same family, it might be a good idea to do
the sashing in different colours, to differentiate between them.
Perhaps yellow for one, as you have done; and red for the other? or even
Mickey's black!
.
In message , Jacqueline
writes

Old September 1st 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

Forgot to say this, I have planned on doing 1 inch sashing on it, but
I drew this out by hand on a graphics program. I was told that corner
stones made the quilt more forgiving if everything didn't line up just
perfect so I don't know. I have wondered how to do them. I guess I
will wait and see. I just wish I could figure out how to make a block
in EQ5 that will let me put it in the block on the program. Man, I
could fly then with designing.

Jac which is the way I normally sign my name, Jacqueline will be in
the signature, but for short notes I am going to start using Jac. LOL
fewer letters to type by all means.

Old September 1st 06, 11:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
elspeth

No, Jessamy is right. If your squares are 5 inch squares, once you do 1/4
inch seams on all four sides, your block will finish to 9 inches. When I am
calculating finished size, I always forget that I actually will be sewing
all around the square :+).

Old September 1st 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jacqueline

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:38:29 GMT, "elspeth"
wrote:

No, Jessamy is right. If your squares are 5 inch squares, once you do 1/4
inch seams on all four sides, your block will finish to 9 inches. When I am
calculating finished size, I always forget that I actually will be sewing
all around the square :+).

I don't doubt that she is, I still have gotten in bed yet, you can't
expect my brain to be working right now can you? I slept two hours
Wednesday night, Tuesday night I went to bed at 11 AM on Wed. for the
first time and slept less than 2 hours that day, then I have been up
all night tonight. Fixing to crawl between the 49.95 quilt that I
bought at JC Pennys and between the sheets though because my mind is
fuzzy now.

Jac

Jacqueline