OT - Story: My child hating reputation

Old May 12th 04, 03:43 AM
Cheryl

When DD was a baby, she had to prove her behavior at Macdonald's and the
like before going to anyplace better. snip... ballet would have been just
fine for these kids had they been a couple of
years older, and if the parents had picked an afternoon matinee of "The
Nutcracker."

I think it depends on the CHILD and the PARENT~~~~
My parents took me to some famous restaurant in New Orleans - (can't think of
the name now) when I was about four years old....
the people at the next table were giving my parent's the evil eye when the
waitress seated us next to them. (oh god - a KID!.. you know the look).
As the elderly couple left from their meal - the man walked over and handed my
mother a silver dollar and said "this is for the young lady, she's the most
well behaved child we ever saw."

I also went to the theatre, and ballet as a very young child. Dressed to the
nine's - black patents, velvet dresses and white gloves... and I knew how to
sit properly like a lady - and WATCH...
course - I loved it...
which would explain why I danced ballet as a child - and did theatre all up
through my college days! LOL

I also hate kids who KICK THE BACK OF A SEAT! generally my response is to
turn to the parent and say sweetly "would you like to exchange seats with me -
so I can sit and kick the back of your kid's seat?.... G

unfortunately -even ADULTS do that one some time - last week we went to "Lord
of the Dance" and my friend complained that the lady behind her kept kicking
the seat......
she finally gave the woman the evil eye - and she quit...

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old May 12th 04, 05:54 AM
Ellen Winnie

In article ,
eads (Cheryl) wrote:

I think it depends on the CHILD and the PARENT~~~~
My parents took me to some famous restaurant in New Orleans - (can't think of
the name now) when I was about four years old....
the people at the next table were giving my parent's the evil eye when the
waitress seated us next to them. (oh god - a KID!.. you know the look).
As the elderly couple left from their meal - the man walked over and handed my
mother a silver dollar and said "this is for the young lady, she's the most
well behaved child we ever saw."

I am the oldest of 10 children, and we were always expected to be on the
very best behavior in public. My parents explained that most people
expected the children in a large family to be poor, dirty and
ill-behaved.

We *didn't* have money, but they did teach us self-respect and pride.
Plus, if we dared to misbehave in *any* manner in public, when we got
home, we got one punishment for what ever we had done, and a second for
doing it in public.

Once, when I was about 18, we saved up enough to take the entire family
out to dinner at an inexpensive resturant - we had never all been out
together. When we went to pay, there was no bill. Some other guest at
the resturant was so impressed with our behavior - even the youngest who
was only about 4, that he had paid our entire bill.

I have never forgotten that. When I am in a public place and there is a
family with well behaved children, I make a point to complement the
parents. I got a good laugh one time, as I walked away, I heard the Mom
tell her kids "see - I told you people notice!"

Ellen

--
-------------------------------------
Ellen Winnie n7pyk-at-amsat.org
Old May 12th 04, 06:42 AM
Carla

The "selfishness" comes from not doing our part to ensure the future of
the human race (that's what I've been told, anyway). Oh, and let's not
forget "emotionally stunted".

Cheers,
Carla (selfishly childfree g)

Kalera Stratton wrote:

I'm boggling.

What do people think is selfish about not having children? I always
thought it was the opposite!

Old May 12th 04, 07:02 AM
starlia

Well I can say that some people shouldn't be parents. So I applaud anyone
who decides not to have children for their own reasons. I also applaud
folks who have children and raise them to be an asset to society.

hlink.net...

Old May 12th 04, 07:05 AM
Kalera Stratton

It's funny, we make a huge point of only taking our children to FAMILY
restaurants. Oddly, it seems like many other parents don't see the point
of doing this, and take their small children to fancy restaurants, where
the little tkes feel free to rampage. How sweet!

On the other hand, last time we were at Bella Fascia, a tasty family
pizza joint (by "family" I mean suitable for the whole family and
frequented by people with children, not a scary place with balloons and
people dressed as cartoon characters) a horrid (I do not use that term
lightly) hipster couple with sour expressions sat at the table next to
us. We had our six-year-old and our four-year-old plus the baby, so we
sat in the one corner of the restaurant that had no other occupants. Of
course, the kids were talking at the top of their lungs, telling me
stories, asking where their pizza was, and the baby was making periodic
chortles of joy that put one in mind of large tropical birds. The
hipsters wasted no time in scowling in our direction and whispering to
each other, obviously thinking we shouldn't have brought our awful
little brats out in public, let alone to a restaurant. Eventually, they
huffily pouted off to another table... only to be confronted with
ANOTHER FAMILY FULL OF KIDS! OH NO! They finished their dinner rather
quickly and left with a final glare for the entire restaurant, which by
then was full of happy, noisy pizza-eating children.

Hopefully, they will think twice about attending a restaurant with the
words "Family Restaurant" displayed proudly in the front window.

I later ran into the sour-faced hipster male at the local art walk. He
was sneering at some apparently unpalatable miniature glass chairs that,
to me, seemed magical and wonderful. I wonder whether he finds joy
anywhere in life? The other hipsters seemed to be having a good time...
this year, "genuine enthusiasm and enjoyment" seem to be "in".

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

starlia wrote:
One of the things I really despise about our current culture is that we

have

completely discarded the notion that there is ANY venue which is

inappropriate

for children. What do these kids have to look forward to as they grow up?

Celine

--

I thought the same thing the other day. There were all kinds of places I
couldn't go to growing up because I wasn't old enough. There are children

Old May 12th 04, 07:22 AM
Lee S. Billings

In article ,
says...

I'm boggling.

What do people think is selfish about not having children? I always
thought it was the opposite! I considered it a very selfish decision to
have kids... I mean, I didn't have them to bestow upon a poor hapess
soul the precious gift of life (guffaw) but because *I wanted to have
kids.* I. Me. Hello, me? I certainly wasn't thinking about how fulfilled
they would be when I cuddled and nursed them, or how cute they would
think I was.

Do people really think not having kids is selfish? What on earth are
they thinking of? Selfish *how*?

Logic doesn't enter into this, Kalera. Parents say "selfish" because THEY want
grandchildren, and you aren't giving in to their wishes. Other people say
"selfish" for lots of different reasons, the most common one being that you (as
a woman) aren't supposed to want a life of your OWN, you're supposed to want to
sacrifice everything to Have Babies. Sometimes "selfish" is a synonym for
"immature" -- after all, the only sign of maturity that matters is WANTING to
take on the responsibility for another life, so if you don't want that you're
only thinking of yourself. But mostly, it's just a magic-word argument. [1]

[1] Definition: any sort of negative label the use of which is automatically
supposed to make your opponent abandon their position, like magic. It's a
specialized form of the guilt-trip argument. Since women are heavily socialized
to be "caring and unselfish", this is often a very strong magic word to use on
us. Other common magic words in use at the moment are "unpatriotic" and
"liberal" -- the assumption is that once you've dragged those into the
discussion, you don't *need* to back up your own position.

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat

Old May 12th 04, 04:29 PM
Cheryl

When we went to pay, there was no bill. Some other guest at
the resturant was so impressed with our behavior - even the youngest who
was only about 4, that he had paid our entire bill.

WOW
congratulations! LOL

that is impressive!

Story - A MIL Story Jalynne Beads 2 March 8th 04 01:30 PM
OT Story - DD's birthday Kandice Seeber Beads 0 December 12th 03 03:52 AM
Story - The Party Kandice Seeber Beads 0 November 9th 03 01:37 PM
STORY - Flag Day and Independence Day Kandice Seeber Beads 3 July 7th 03 07:04 PM