No shriek this time, just a heavy sigh

Old July 7th 03, 02:15 AM
spampot

Default No shriek this time, just a heavy sigh

....as I get halfway through the cast-on, thinking wow, I really am
casting on loosely, good for me...until I run out of yarn. At this
point I wish I'd taken good ol' Slinky's advice & rewound the friggin
ball of yarn so I could tie the two ends together. Oh well.

Old July 7th 03, 03:09 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 21:15:14 -0400, spampot wrote:

...as I get halfway through the cast-on, thinking wow, I really am
casting on loosely, good for me...until I run out of yarn. At this
point I wish I'd taken good ol' Slinky's advice & rewound the friggin
ball of yarn so I could tie the two ends together. Oh well.

Third time's the charm, I hope! I'm sure saving your posts and learning
what NOT to do in case I ever try this! When I did a mobius, I just did an
e-wrap cast-on of half the stitches, then went in with my needle and knit
the bottom edge of the cast-on for the first round. Not that I can find
where I put the finished thing. It's utterly lost, after all that work. And
it was qiviut, too! Would not be surprised to find the cat had stolen it or
that I'd put it somewhere far too safe, to keep them from it.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old July 7th 03, 06:56 PM
Allaya Diep

Oh no! That's not a good thing. Have you considered trying a Russian
Join? It makes things a lot easier (at least for me)

Allaya

Old July 7th 03, 07:03 PM
NoraBalcer

Spampot,

Well, as they say, practice makes perfect so the next time you cast on you
should succeed.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 7th 03, 10:14 PM
spampot

What is a Russian Join? I like learning new things, but this pattern
calls for a particular kind of cast-on (what I'm doing now is casting on
to two circs simultaneously, w/the two needles held together -- parallel
-- alternating between the needles), so I think I'd better stick with
it. I'll let you know whether it's third time lucky.

Old July 8th 03, 01:31 AM
spampot

Aha, I see. I think you might have posted this before because I
remember thinking how cool it was. But what I did was run out of yarn
in the middle of a long-tail cast-on, so there was nothing to do but
frog & start over. So far I'm halfway through the first round, so
everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!

Allaya Diep wrote:
I don't think I got in on this conversation from the beginning, so I might
be totally misreading the situation, but here goes...

A Russian Join doesn't have anything to do with casting on, but rather
joining two peieces of yarn together so you don't have to knot them or twist
and weave in later. I thought you may have run out of yarn during the cast
on process. Anyway, even if you didn't, it's a pretty slick think to know
how to do: http://www.knittinganyway.com/freeth...ussianjoin.htm

If you pull it tight, it's not nearly as bulky looking as in the picture.
I've used it lots of times, because I don't pay attention to what I'm doing
most of the time, until I find out that I'm at the end of my skein, and am
in the middle of a row! It's very helpful to just join mid-row like that,
and it would probably be good while casting on, since there aren't any knots
involved, really.

Anyway, sorry if I misunderstood, but like I said, this is a pretty cool
thing to learn anyway!

Allaya

Old July 8th 03, 03:51 PM
NoraBalcer

Spampot,

Fingers crossed for you.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 8th 03, 04:20 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 21:47:31 -0700, (Els van Dam) wrote:

By the time I finished it, it was not nearly cold enough to wear it!

Helen are you tempting the gods, It seems to me that it was only yesterday
that you guys had all this snow piled up on your front step......LOL.

LOL! For that, it will probably hit 95 today instead of 90! Although, it
looks like we'll be getting the daily thunderstorm a little earlier today.

My Mobius, the first one that I knitted with the dyed wool from Slinky
Toy, just was not wide enough to cover my head properly. At one of the
textile sales up Island, I found parendale blended with posum. the colour
was a soft brown colour. I ripped the Mobius and included the skein of
parendale posum with it. Now it was wide enough but a bit clunky, or
bulky. Boy oh boy was i happy with it, when I had to walk my grand
daughter to school in the morning. It was so bitter cold and the mobius
so snug and warm. it is having it's summer sleep, in a cap drawer, until
I go to Toronto again in deep winter. No cats here to play with it.

3 cats here, and one with a wool fetish at that. She's on my lap right
now. Hmm, maybe I put it into the cedar chest!

One thing I learned from making that qiviut mobius is that next time I will
knit flat and then graft the ends with the half twist rather than knitting
the twisted tube. That twisted method was worth trying once, just for the
challenge, but the other way is just SO much faster and easier!

if you have time Charlie Beads 10 January 20th 05 10:32 PM
OT - Story: Time Flies Kathy N-V Beads 2 January 18th 05 05:25 PM
Panic Attack Time starlia Beads 76 March 14th 04 02:39 AM